Pat Robertson

It’s very contentious. I don’t think you’re that ignorant of European and Euro-colonial history, so for you to hold that view that there’s a direct, causative* correlation between the having of Christian memes and reduction of head-bashing and stuff-stealing, you need to conflate the having of Christian memes with being the West in modern times. This is essentially the same fallacy that a certain other member presented in a thread about Islam a few years ago, which you read at least part of since you participated in it (he said it was Christianity per se, not just the memes, but he dismissed all counter-examples true Scotsman style, or by saying it doesn’t count when Christians kill other Christians).

*You didn’t say causative in the text quoted there, but it’s the point of what you’ve been saying.

If you conflate the having of Christian memes with being the West in modern times, the problem with using the result to say this proves it’s because of the Christian memes and not any of the other reasons (try Jared Diamond’s reasons for example) is that it ignores all of history until roughly the Enlightenment, which oddly enough is when the West noticeably started becoming less Christian. The other problem is that Christianity today is more diverse than it’s ever been. For example, Christian memes are widely used both to condemn the LGBT+ rights movement and to support it, both to condemn jab mandates and to support them, both to condemn specific politicians and to support them…

The more one argues that true Christians or true understanders of Christian memes support X and condemn Y, the fewer opportunities Christianity or Christian memes have to take credit for the doings of those who (one argues) don’t understand it/them properly.

That’s next level Scotsmanning. You now have the task of identifying these true Christian societies of which you speak.

Okay, we’re making some progress, but you’ve shot yourself in the foot wrt the original argument. Almost all Christians do believe in the OT, to the extent that they believe in the Bible. Yes there is abrogation to some extent, but the abrogation rarely extends to the 10C (as I pointed out in the Islam thread). I’m talking official dogma here, as well as what people-who-identify-and-generally-are-identified-as-Christians believe.

Again, that’s to the extent that they believe in the Bible. Joe Christian might say the Bible is full of nonsense but that he still believes in Jesus etc. in spite of the nonsense. If he’s a proper, dogma-abiding member of any of the major denominations, the OT matters to him. Prove me wrong by naming a major denomination whose dogma explicitly rejects the OT, or even just the 10C.

This is like when you say poor doesn’t mean poor, rich doesn’t mean rich, education doesn’t mean education… Sorry dude, you’re not the “Académie anglaise”. You don’t get to decide what words mean.

If you did have that privilege, you would also need to decide how many centuries this and that society spent not being Christian – as evidenced by the witch burnings, heretic burnings, etc. etc. – and when they suddenly started being Christian. There’s an awful lot of history textbooks that would need to be rewritten as soon as you figured out what they’re supposed to say.

:mirror: :yin_yang:

No you won’t. It’s exactly the opposite: you’ll end up with as many religions as there are (religious) human beings.

That’s a bit of an ironic statement considering this all started with you objecting to criticism of someone who did obsess over it and built his career around it, someone who according to you wasn’t a true Christian anyway.

If you really mean culture and not religion, why mention religion at all?

(I think most people would disagree with religion and culture being identical, but that would be another discussion.)

No, whether you associate certain beliefs with X or with Y was the point. If you had said people who grow up in third world conditions generally have a different Weltanschauung compared to those who grow up in first world conditions, and people’s Weltanschauungs influence their behavior, you wouldn’t get any argument from me. The problem is you made it a religious argument that depends on your own personal theology.

Apples to potatoes. For one thing, they weren’t literally slaves.

Bingo.

Why keep playing when you’ve already hit bingo? In any case, we weren’t talking about statism.

If you want to argue culture, go ahead and argue culture, but be clear that you’re arguing culture. Arguing religion and then saying religion = culture will get you into much deeper holes.