Paul McCartney to shun China over cruelty to animals

Conflating the Cantonese eating dogs, cats, and other sundry animals with the Nazis killing 6 million Jews is probably not the best rhetorical tactic.[/quote]

Haha and why did you conveniently skip over the fact that the CCP treats its humans wrong? Did you naively think that I only mean the animals in China? OHHH right, you didn’t read this:

Well, sometimes I get a little fed up with all this animal activism, it seems to forget that HUMAN BEINGS are suffering, too…

Drepung Monks Suppressed

What can you say about the Chinese government? They are brutal and narrow in their methods and attitudes… The new president is an ultra-nerd who couldn’t give a shit, apparently…

That’s quite an asumption to make, that people who promote kindness to animals aren’t aware of the human suffering that goes on in the world.

I’ve never seen animal activists criticize calls for more rights for people.

I m disgusted by any kind of torture (on human beings and animals).
China has been reported for hundreds cases of torture on people.
Torture exists in many many parts of the world.

What is wrong to fight against any torture ? What is wrong to make the earth a better place to live for human beings and animals ?

I stick to what Gandhi said :

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be determined by the way its animals are treated”

Conflating the Cantonese eating dogs, cats, and other sundry animals with the Nazis killing 6 million Jews is probably not the best rhetorical tactic.[/quote]

Haha and why did you conveniently skip over the fact that the CCP treats its humans wrong? Did you naively think that I only mean the animals in China?[/quote]

How silly of me to think that you were comparing animal abuse in China to the Holocaust when you mention the Holocaust and then put up some links about animal abuse in China.

I’m not skipping over the fact that the CCP treats its humans wrong. I’m just saying that, from a rhetorical standpoint, you should leave the animal abuses out of it.

That being said, I’m not entirely sure that the Olympics will put the spotlight on the lack of human rights in the PRC. The US and other countries boycotting the Olympics in Moscow in '80 because of the war against Afghanistan put the spotlight on the Soviets. Jesse Owens winning the gold medal in the '36 Olympics put a spotlight on the theories of racial superiority coming of Nazi Germany.

Barring any catastrophe in the next year and a half like a sudden invasion of Taiwan or a severe economic meltdown (neither of which I consider likely), when it comes time for the '08 Olympics in Beijing, I can guarantee you that 80% of the fluff pieces in Newsweek, network television news, etc. will be about how modern and quickly developing China is.

Is that right? Probably not. Do you think any country is going to boycott the Olympics because it’s in the PRC? Hell no.

The only sort of tension I imagine seeing is if large numbers of Falun Gong members from abroad try showing up and handing out leaflets. To be honest, I’m not sure how the CCP will deal with this “threat.”

Taiwan, shame how you treat your animals!

Thought some of us would be happy to see…

http://furisdead.com/feat-jcrewvictory.asp

:slight_smile:

That is good news (though I think it belongs in [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/paul-mccartney-to-shun-china-over-cruelty-to-animals/23386/1 existing thread[/url]).