PAVC Old and Outdated

I’ve seen a lot of talking around this subject but not a subject thread.

The Practical Audio-Video Chinese instruction material is severely outdated. It was created over 15 years ago when the predominate subject people talked about daily was fruit and vegetables. I remember when I started and wondered why there was so much talk about fruit and vegetables… and not more useful daily activities. As the subject matter is not current, it is difficult to practice and learn early as the subjects are not really subjects that we use on a daily basis. Many phrased are not phrases that people use now. It would be helpful if subjects were relevant to today… like going for coffee, using the smartphone, facebook, etc. I was frustrated with the voices in the audio which are not pleasant and not easy to listen too. Then I found some internet based pod services which have mastered the voices and current subject matter.

The original writing staff whose name used to appear in the beginning pages were removed during the last update when they tried to give an illusion of an updated text which isn’t really updated. The authors were paid a one-time fee and receive no residuals from additional printings (I know one of the authors).

Hope it is replaced or updated so as to help me and other learners.

Sorry for the random thoughts (rant?). I am not an expert nor authority. Additions or corrections welcome…

What are you talking about? Even now people can’t shut up about their Apples.

:thumbsup:

I feel that one of the easiest ways to kill a student’s enthusiasm is to give him a corny, out-of-date textbook. Very sad.

I went through books 1-5 and hated them. If I ever see Gao Wei Li in real life I might just have to chop his ponytail off. I can still remember the old brainless drills - ma po do fu, gong bao ji ding, suan la tang… and so on.

At least they haven’t “updated” it by creating new characters who are the children of the old ones, like Practical Chinese Reader did. Gubo and Ding Yun’s son – now there’s a scary thought! (I would have had Palanka turn out to be lesbian, but that’s just me. Probably not deemed classroom-friendly in China.)

Shhh…I’m only on book 3. Don’t spoil the ending for me!

:thumbsup:

I feel that one of the easiest ways to kill a student’s enthusiasm is to give him a corny, out-of-date textbook. Very sad.[/quote]

I would emphasize how I and my students loathe corny texts, plus the generally corny atmosphere present in all formal educational surroundings when it comes to language studies, which is weird when one considers memory studies and their correlations with graphic imagery. Kids would get more talking about poop, and adults about sex, with each other than they would ever get talking about some trite stories or dialogues about mundane events.

But it’s even easier to see than that:

In Textbooks: “小美為什麼很喜歡吃魚?”
Not in Textbooks: “小美的陰道為什麼聞起來像魚?”

Which sentence do you suspect prospective students would be more interested to understand? And which ones would they remember longer?

I got around the tedium by back-translating movie subtitles and surfing PTT’s foreigner forums, because they’re more entertaining and contain funner and funnier sentences.

Do you have any links?

That’s one of the issues with most Chinese textbooks – the writers are Chinese. (No offense.) They aren’t culturally Western, so they don’t get the Western sense of humor in most cases, and they seem (judging from the books) to believe that topics that are “good for you” are, well, good for you. :unamused:

Do you have any links?[/quote]

don’t know if he is talking about this one
ptt.cc/bbs/foreigner/index.html

the html version is read only. In order to actually participate, there is a bit of a learning curve for telnet://ppt.cc

You find out how much a catty of cabbage costs. It’s worth waiting for.

King Geoffrey eventually gets killed (but not soon enough)
Daenerys Targaryen shows up with dragons and an army
The new actor they get to play Spartacus is not nearly as popular
Rosebud is a sled

There… that should just about clear it up

King Geoffrey eventually gets killed (but not soon enough)
Daenerys Targaryen shows up with dragons and an army
The new actor they get to play Spartacus is not nearly as popular
Rosebud is a sled

There… that should just about clear it up[/quote]

You missed one, Harry Potter dies, well, pretty much…

Do you have any links?[/quote]

don’t know if he is talking about this one
ptt.cc/bbs/foreigner/index.html

the html version is read only. In order to actually participate, there is a bit of a learning curve for telnet://ppt.cc[/quote]

The learning curve is totally worth it, in my opinion. Unlike most of the clean humor that pervades most Taiwanese media, PTT has much more of a 4chan feel to it. Top posters are the people who make the most poignant social commentaries in the funniest ways.

This one is interesting and pretty easy, I think.
There’s a sex forum, which is pretty funny, too.

One guy suggested a move that he saw in this commercial.

:bravo: [quote=“ehophi”] One guy suggested a move that he saw in this commercial.
[/quote]

Great commercial!

Oh man I thought I was the only one in here to go through THAT series right up to the last volume. Funny to no end whatsoever about your “upgrade” to a more trendy and campy Palanka. Maybe you SHOULD write it!