Pay Increase for Foreign Public School Teachers

So a friend of mine who works for a public school told me about a pay increase… it’s not much, like an extra 3000 NT per month. But good that they are raising it after staying still for an entire decade, and some acknowledgement about rising costs and inflation. He sent me the new pay scale, which you can see attached here.

I certainly hope that this will set a precedent and get the MOE to also raise the pay scale for university teachers, which is abysmally low.

3 Likes

I haven’t signed my new contract yet. So I sent a message to my recruiter to see if it’s true. Man I hope so, it will help offset losing the 2,000 bonus

This raise works out to a 4% increase. Looks like they increased the seniority to 15 as well.

2 Likes

Also remember that this does not include the housing money… which I believe has remained the same. So 5k for unmarried, 10k for married. If you have a PhD, 15 years of experience and are married, you could top out at just a little over 110k per month! Living large!

2 Likes

I talked to my recruiter. This new chart is only for teachers hired directly by the government. It’s part of the new program.

Also these contracts only have 12 months and no annual bonus

Didn’t this go up last year? Maybe it was just my school, but I thought changes were usually broader.

1 Like

I also got a surprise pay rise. Can’t remember how much.

1 Like

My contracts always were 11 months + annual bonus, so 12 months, no annual bonus comes out to be exactly the same

I have 12 months plus a bonus of one month

do you have any documentation about this? like a similar chart to the one I posted above?

I discovered there are multiple public school programs and as a result, different contracts depending on the program

Does he work with schools all around Taiwan?

15years to make what some sticky ball gods do in 5years?

It just funny how the public schools advertise you have to have a teaching license to qualify for the position. What a load of piss…how do they fill them? Why would anybody with a proper k-12 license go work in a taiwan public school over a proper international school? When I say proper international school, I’m not talking about your religious school under the guise of an international school…im talking your tier 1 INT schools.

somebody fill me in plz.

2 Likes

The only reason I plan on switching is because I want to teach PE and Science. Plus I don’t feel like being at work 9am-7pm.
Shoutout to people that do sticky ball BS for years. My body can’t handle those hours nor nonsense. :joy:

2 Likes

you switching to public school you mean? isn’t public school 9am to 5pm? but they might have you in there longer…

also if you get a teaching license in your state you can add different subject areas and be certified in many fields.

1 Like

Yes public is 9am-5pm two hours less than I currently do. I haven’t heard of anyone staying after 5 in public schools unless they wanted more hour.

I’ll likely get sub because I don’t have $5k lol

1 Like

do you have an actual teaching license?
you currently doing buxiban or something?

My recruiter works for Teach Taiwan

Edit I misread. No my recruiter is only for taoyuan, new Taipei, and Taipei city

I’m teaching, history, geography, and ElA next semester so I think this is not so true anymore.

I’ve been making my own lessons based on training I got getting my license and working in public school in America.

I’ve only played games as review before exams. Outside of that (and a lunch time club I set up for English games) I teach writing, literature, and journalism (those are the classes last semester plus toeic exam practice and an American culture class that was voluntary in the evening)

Oh and I coteach subjects like math and science with a local teacher

yeah but why would you work in a public school if you have a proper teaching license? why not international school for big money?
I get you enjoy the subjects you get to teach, and will take less $ in order to do that because sticky balling is dull as shit.

1 Like