Pay per bag fee collection starts for Xindian

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Well, they do collect stuff, but apparently you have to call some special number so they know where to come and get it…
I think that’s more that people are just too lazy to take the shit out, or they’re like my GF’s parents, they don’t throw anything away… :frowning:[/quote]

It really depends what it is you wish to throw out. I can’t dispose of sawdust, sticks, flip flops as well as others using present available, accepted disposal methods. Sure I can get rid of drawers and cupboards though, I know that much. It used to be in Chungho that the locals would just dump everything large on the corner once a month and after the recyclers had had their share, then the government would send a truck down and ta-da!
After that people just took to waking up in the dead of night to go and dump it on someone elses door-step. I was even advised to do the same by the locals. :unamused:

Those places are not going to become part of Taipei City. Taipei County is going to be upgraded to a special municipality, the same status as Taipei City, and will be renamed Xinbei City, but there will not be any merger between the two within the foreseeable future.

I don’t approve of the pay-for-bags policy, since it will surely and inevitably result in a great deal of waste being dumped beside the road, into gullies, and worse. Here in Linkou, there are a lot of vacant building plots and partly blocked off roads through them, where people routinely dump large amounts of garbage (often truckloads), so that walking around here is like walking through a sprawling garbage dump. The local government hardly ever institutes any kind of clean-up. I hate to even imagine what it’ll be like after the new policy takes effect.

I’m entirely in favour of encouraging reduction of waste and recycling, but this is simply not the best way to go about it in a society like Taiwan’s, where its effects will be even worse than the problem it’s supposedly addressing.

Sawdust and sticks is considered garbage where I live, so it goes in the garbage. I’d guess flip flops would be considered garbage as well. The lady at the back of our garbage truck is very strict and tells you where everything goes if she spots something going in the wrong place.

Btw, for those that don’t know, there’s a huge garbage incinerator in Xindian and another one in Muzha, so I very much doubt that everything goes in a whole in the ground somewhere. I think there’s another one in Nankang somewhere as well.

And I’m sorry to say it, by wtf would you want to live in Linkou? People complain about Taoyuan here, but Linkou is far worse imho… sorry, but I couldn’t help myself :wink:

But yeah, loads of people dump garbage in general here, the Sunshine park in Xindian and parts of the new road bits there by the new bridge is built upon garbage. I lived there when they were building parts of it and I saw what they buried, so come the next big typhoon, I guess some of that will wash away…

No need to be sorry to say it - I say much the same thing nearly every day.

I certainly don’t want to live here. I bought a house here because I decided that it was in the best interests of my wife and baby daughter to live near to my parents-in-law and the three sisters-in-law and their families who live in Linkou. The fact that we could afford to buy a much larger home here also figured in the decision. But not a day goes by when I don’t pine for the fjoords of Xindian, where I lived before and still own an apartment, or daydream about moving to some much more pleasant part of Taiwan. Since I work from home, I can live anywhere that provides an internet connection, which makes it even more galling that I’m having to live in one of the least liveable places in Taiwan. But I still think the sacrifice is just about worth it for the familial benefits gained by those nearest and dearest to me.

Well, I guess it’s ok as long as you can afford to install a high-Voltage fence to protect you against the garbage dumpers :laughing:

But you shouldn’t be inside “new Taipei City” limits though, right? So at least you wouldn’t have to worry about the stupid garbage bags, yet…

Besides, I don’t get it, I thought tax money was meant to pay for garbage collection and considering that Taiwan is sitting on a pile of money, wtf are the local governments doing?
And how come no information about this has been sent out by the local government if it’s going to take place so soon? We didn’t get anything in the post about it anyhow…

We’re within Taipei County (Xinbei City) boundaries, a few hundred metres from Taoyuan County. And we’re slated to begin using the bags on July 1st.

Easy work around: Don’t let the bag take the trash out.

The poster stuck on the wall in our building explains that our water bill will be reduced after this new policy takes place, which I believe is starting on July 1st in Zhonghe. That part of the water bill is called something like the cleaning/sanitation fee, and is assessed according to the amount of water you use, or something like that. Since they are now charging by the bag, the water bill will be reduced.

I haven’t heard anything like what Icon said about our utilities increasing as a result of this change. Of course, the electricity and gas rates have been increasing in recent years due to higher fuel prices, and such. Maybe that’s what Icon meant.

Overall, this change will be a little annoying, but it’s not hard for the average family to comply with. The main problem will be the possible increase in littering and people dumping trash where they shouldn’t.

Maybe it’s time to start a compost…

I don’t give a fiddler’s fart about these bags. They 'aint happening in our house, that’s for DAMN sure. The times they gather the trash where I live, either me or the wife would have to take a fucking day off work just to get rid of the garbage. So we’ll continue to just dump it on the street late at night.
At least until we can get a better answer than “piesay, piesay” from city hall. Which is ALL we’ve had. Fucking morons.

You mean just like it’s done in the UK? Maybe you should move back? But please take your trash with you…

Yeah? How would YOU do it then? I’m open to suggestions. So’s the wife. City Hall has FUCK ALL.

[quote=“scomargo”]The poster stuck on the wall in our building explains that our water bill will be reduced after this new policy takes place, which I believe is starting on July 1st in Zhonghe. That part of the water bill is called something like the cleaning/sanitation fee, and is assessed according to the amount of water you use, or something like that. Since they are now charging by the bag, the water bill will be reduced.

I haven’t heard anything like what Icon said about our utilities increasing as a result of this change. Of course, the electricity and gas rates have been increasing in recent years due to higher fuel prices, and such. Maybe that’s what Icon meant.

Overall, this change will be a little annoying, but it’s not hard for the average family to comply with. The main problem will be the possible increase in littering and people dumping trash where they shouldn’t.[/quote]

Our neighbors were the ones complaining about this, the cost of the bags, the cost of water, electricity, gas etc. Of course, now that they will have the renewed neighborhood, nicer, cleaner, they must be willing to pay a bit more, as their properties will increase in value -Insert yawn here- :unamused:

I want to see how they apply this law to the wet market. Oh, boy, garbage will increase exponentially there -they get separate collection now…

Well Sandman, you hire someone to take out your rubbish, that’s how rich people like you do thing here, no?

When I first moved here, I found the process pretty frustrating, as we waited for, then crowded into the elevators with our trash as we were being summonsed by the musical garbage trucks. I finally got fed-up and we pay a woman in our community to take it for us. We are also seldom around for garbage call.

But I ALREADY pay for garbage removal in my taxes, even though nobody is around to actually take it away. Now I’m supposed to pay extra for bags to put the trash that nobody takes away. AND pay someone ELSE to take it away.
Fucked in the arsehole three different ways? No thanks. I’ll continue to dump it in my neighbour’s alley. :thumbsup:

But I bet you don’t pay to have them come to your front door and collect it…

But I bet you don’t pay to have them come to your front door and collect it…[/quote]
They wouldn’t come. We have to carry the stuff down the alley about 300 yards to the closest collection point. Or rather, we WOULD have to. If the collectors actually came when we were around.

Maybe you should be home when they come and collect the garbage instead, that way you wouldn’t be having all these problems…
I knew Scottish people were lazy, but you can’t walk 300 yards? Damn… :noway:

Precisely. SO I pay for the garbage collection in taxes, THEN pay AGAIN for bags, THEN lose a day’s pay twice a week (at least)? Yeah, RIIIIIGHT! :unamused: