Pay to Collect Death Benefit

A year ago my father died, but I’m still fighting to try and collect the “death benefit” from my labour insurance.

How much would you spend to collect an insurance payout?
Over $40,000NT?

I’m Canadian, but because my father died in Mexico, his death certificate needs to be authenticated by the Taiwan Trade Office in Mexico. But, they won’t authenticate it until 3 different Mexican govt. dept. do. This requires you to hire an “agent” in Mexico to push your paperwork through. Fee - $1,350US + Trade Office fees. This all on top of the more then $300Cdn already spent to authenticate my birth certificate in Canada.

I’m gonna have to reread The Castle by Kafka.
So incredibly frustrating!

Er… ehem… @yyy… you there?

If your employer(s) enrolled you in their insurance unit(s) and correctly reported your salary to the Bureau of Labor Insurance, you stand to gain three months’ salary, up to the maximum insurable salary at the time. So, is your expected payout more or less than the red tape fees?

Ps. And if your employer(s) didn’t, you can sue for the difference and also get them fined 4x the missing premiums. They would probably be willing to settle through mediation, unless you lack evidence.

That’s basically the math of it: Spend 1 months pay to get 3 months back. Going to check again if the Canadian govt. can issue any sort of legal document verifying the death, but it doesn’t look that’s possible.

Just seems crazy to me to have to fight so hard to get an insurance benefit. Thanks for you info. yyy.

Good idea. There was an administrative interpretation by the BLI (iirc) stating that a death certificate is not needed if there’s sufficient proof, such as a court decision in which the death is confirmed.