Paying Canadian / USA visa cards

Has anyone come up with a feasable way to pay creditcard balances for North American credit cards?

You have to send the money to a bank account in North America, or I suppose you could Western Union it to a person.

The bank here will charge you a fee, and my experience has been that US banks charge a fee to receive money too.

Then you either mail a cheque to your credit card company, or pay your bill online.

Question: You only ask about US/Canadian cards. What about the rest of the world? We have banks in other countries too and the system is not much different.

Here is what I do:

I sent my buddy (1 that I trust implicitly) an ATM card for my bank here in Taiwan. Likewise, he sent me one from a bank in Canada.

When I want to send money back, I deposit it into Taiwan account and he withdraws it from Canada and makes the payment for me. I find this the least expensive way to send money back.

Toe’s right, but confirm with the bank that the ATM card will function overseas. Some of them don’t.

I should also point out that there is a six-page thread on this topic, which is currently only ten posts below yours. Did you bother to read any of the info there before asking your question? Believe it or not, other people have already asked this question and some moderators - such as myself - would rather not have to send our days editing threads.

I pay my credit cards through Internet banking. Fast, cheap, and convenient. Then again, I don

[quote=“Chewycorns”]I pay my credit cards through Internet banking. Fast, cheap, and convenient. Then again, I don

Thx for the info. I think sending the bank card does sound like the easiest solution.

When I withdrew money in mainland China from HKB the service charge was $15 canadian!!

Have to be careful which banks you use.

[quote=“stragbasher”]Toe’s right, but confirm with the bank that the ATM card will function overseas. Some of them don’t.

I should also point out that there is a six-page thread on this topic, which is currently only ten posts below yours. Did you bother to read any of the info there before asking your question? Believe it or not, other people have already asked this question and some moderators - such as myself - would rather not have to send our days editing threads.[/quote]
Maybe the threads could be named more specifically. The only 6 page thread I saw nearby was called “International Banking”. That says absolutely nothing to someone busy who doesn’t have time to read the whole thread to find out what it’s about. It could mean a discussion of the international financial system in the post Bretton Woods era, it could be a discussion of banking careers for expats, or it could be how to use paypal internationally. Maybe posters should try to be a little more specific in their titles. We can’t always rely on the moderators to do such basic things.

[quote=“Gary Saville”]When I withdrew money in mainland China from HKB the service charge was $15 Canadian!!

Have to be careful which banks you use.[/quote]

I used a credit card to make a 5 minute phone call from the HK airport to Taipei. The bill just came in. 1200+NTD. WTF???