Paying duty (tax) on goods imported into Taiwan?

If you’ve ever paid customs duty (tax) for anything that you’ve shipped (or purchased and shipped) from another country to yourself in Taiwan, please tell me 1) at what point do you have to pay the customs duty, and 2) roughly how much is it? I’m assuming a percentage of declared value.

Thanks.

Last time I didn’t know shit about import tax. They charge you a percentage based on what you insured your item for. So I suggest buying private insurance (Is that possible?), that doesn’t show up on the sheet that they send over with the address and stuff. The insurance you buy at the post office will show up on the address sheet and that’s the amount they will charge you tax on.
Tax is about 25% I recall. Something ridiculous.

Now, you don’t get taxed for an amount under 3000 or something like that. Forgot the exact amount.

The best way to do this is to bring your stuff, even if you are paying more to bring extra luggage, when you come here by plane. You don’t pay tax at all.

Stupid customs.

Sorry, this is all I remember…and the fact that I paid around 5000 NT in taxes for my shoei helmets that were already a year old. Shit man. :fume:

Different goods are treated / taxed differently. I found this some time ago:

tracking.alliedintl.com/customs_ … TAIWAN.asp

Can’t vouch for it’s correctness though since it’s not a government site.

As Rascal correctly mentioned there are about a million different tax rates for different types of goods… there is a government site that lists each rate, but it’s frustratingly inefficient and hard to use… the link to the english version via the Ministry of Finance is here but, surprise surprise, all of the English links are broken… :unamused:

bascially 95% of import duty is charged on CIF basis ie. the cost of the item according to the way bill, plus the cost of the shipping charges to get it here, plus the insurance… the only way around this is to get the shipper to undervalue the waybill value which is illegal and if they check it they do have a blue book of “estimate values” and they are fairly good at seeing if you are taking the piss… penalties and fines are obviously high… also if you indervalue the waybill and the item goes missing you’re only insured for the false low value…

you have to pay the commodities tax according to what category it’s in and/or an additional import duty and then lastly 5% VAT… technically this is true for any shipment with a CIF value of US$100 or over… but I have been taxed on items that are under that before… :idunno:

so if your item-x cost US$100 from Ebay or whatever and cost US$10 to ship here with US$5 worth of insurance they’ll take US$115 as a base and charge you commodities tax% + Import duty % + 5% VAT and that’s what you’ll have to pay to bring it into Taiwan… you pay it once it gets to customs before it clears, if it comes via express shipping companies like DHL, UPS etc, they have people who will call you and explain how much tax is required and how to pay it… if it comes standard post, you’ve got to call the post office yourself and give them tracking numbers and then fight through waves of “i don’t know, it’s not my responsibility” with the chinese speaking postal staff… if there’s no tracking number, you’ve just got to wait until it eventually surfaces and some bored civil servant at the post office warehouses have the courage to phone the foreigner… could be a long wait… either way if you are a company and have a tax number you will be charged differently to a private individual in which case you will have to provide passport number and other personal details to customs before they’ll clear it…

In my experience they are unfortunately rather efficient at extracting the tax from you any way you try it… :s

The postman or UPS/DHL/FedEx guy will produce paperwork at the time of delivery which shows the taxes. I’ve been charged, very roughly, 20% on clothing and motorcycle helmets, several times. I was told by Customs that although items with a declared value (including shipping cost!) of NT$3000 or more were taxable, I’ve found that in practice items under about $120-150 US are usually not taxed if delivered via the USPS, but ARE taxed if via non-government mail services like UPS/DHL/FedEx. Packages via the latter private services are also inspected more closely and require more paperwork, resulting in a delivery delay of about a day, in my experience.

There are even some goods (e.g. LCD Projector) which, if originally made in PRC, simply cannot be imported at all. See… [Customs Duty

Yeah, no surprise. Just take a look at the link:
wwweng.dgoc.gov.tw

Tried several variations, no luck. But, I think I’ve gotten the general idea from reading the posts above. Thanks.

Of course, any more info is great.