Paying rent in cash

Hi everyone, I’ve heard people say that paying rent in cash is common. How do you typically get the cash? For those with >20k$ rent, do you go to the ATM multiple times over a few days? Should I open a bank account? Sorry if this is kind of dumb

Paying rent in cash is not unheard of here but I would recommend getting a local bank account and transferring rent to your landlord through that so there’s a paper trail. Transfers are easy, free, and instant here. But opening a new bank account takes hours so plan for that.

Personally I receive all my payments in the US and I use a Charles Schwab debit card which refunds ATM fees to take out cash when necessary here. I prefer to keep my savings in USD and invest in the US. The $20k limit at ATMs here is per transaction, so you can withdraw up to your bank’s limit by just putting your card in again. Plan accordingly if you will need more cash than that, or you can always call your bank and ask them to increase the limit.

1 Like

Depends on the country, I think. Coming from the UK, I find ATM transaction limits in Taiwan (and Asia in general) quite high, meaning that the daily limit on the card usually comes into play way before the ATM transaction limit does.

I’m sure there are exceptions, but 300 GBP (under NT$12k at present) to 500 GBP (under NT$20k at present) per day is about standard for my accounts and every UK account I’ve had. I guess some banks are willing to increase this on request, but at least one of mine specifically states that they can’t/won’t.

My last landlady wanted the rent in cash. I simply said I refuse to pay cash give me your bank account number. One thing is that you can prove a payment with a bank account.

Just ask your landlord for the name and bank account. You should also check to make sure they actually own the property.

1 Like

With a local card you can transfer 100k to another account you do not need to withdraw cash.

Yes, that’s what I mean. I use my US debit card to withdraw cash, deposit it into my Taiwanese bank account, and then transfer from there. This seems to be the simplest and cheapest solution if your earnings are deposited abroad, at least if you can get a debit card that refunds ATM fees, I understand they are not available in every country.

You can withdraw up to 60k per transaction and 150k per day, so going once per day should be sufficient for most of us peasants.


I think this depends on the local bank/ATM too. For local cards with the same bank, maybe, but AFAIK most ATMs here don’t permit more than NT$20k from foreign cards, even though the machine itself can accommodate giving out more notes.

I’m not sure about inter-bank withdrawals within Taiwan (i.e., Taiwanese cards at another Taiwanese bank).


Not all transfers are free

1 Like

I would want some sort of confirmation of the transaction if paying in cash. You never know with landlords. There are good ones and really shitty ones.


My limit is 200k on my Esun Card

Post Office. Get a Chinese name if you do not have one - choose something easy to write but not double entendre -, make a traditional chop - and guard it with your life, it’s only 100 NTD to make but it will become your signature - open an account and Bob’s your uncle.

Otherwise yes, expect investing a couple of hours in a bank. Choose a convenient one for you. Meaning you will be visiting it when you need to change address, ID or any special procedure.

Aside from that, you can take up to 20 to 30k from an ATM at a time, about 3 times a day, before the card is blocked.

Yes, you pay cash so the landlord avoids taxes.

As said, transfer leaves paper trail, had higher limit.

Or you can download the bank’s app and transfer money from the comfort of anywhere and anytime you want.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight everyone!

My current landlord is demanding rent paid in cash.

So far there hasn’t been any issue, but if I say just not pay rent I could have easily said I paid it, and he’d have no way of proving that I didn’t.

My new landlord has an account rent is paid into, and they also deal with property manager companies to handle stuff like repairs and such. I didn’t even know such company exists in Taiwan.


You Americans and your “Charles Schwab” cards. Maaaaan, I wish we had a card like that in Canada.

1 Like

Some credit unions are good about this as well.

Why not just wire your US$ funds to your Taiwan account?

1 Like

They do it’s called Charles Schwab card. Anyone can open an account with them.


maybe that is the other way around.

Canadians don’t get the fee-free ATM card that we get in the US. You need a social security number and a US address…so it’s not just for US citizens but you’ll pretty much need to have established some kind of US residency.