Paying taxes while out of Taiwan

I’m trying to find out how to pay taxes while outside Taiwan. The tax office wasn’t that helpful.

My previous employer hasn’t reported any income or withholdings yet or given me a statement. It’s possible they might not report it, but I doubt it.

I was told by the tax office I could do electronic filing, then mail in the paper copy to Taiwan. Then wire the money I owe to the tax office. Apparently Taiwan has no good way for people who live outside Taiwan and owe taxes to the Taiwanese government to pay it.

Is there a better way to do this? Like TECO office or something?

nope.
you can do it online, but you need a smartcard reader to read your NHI card and/or ARC card, but even then, you have to have had filled out an application form to get password, etc., from the relevant agency. I’m guessing you didn’t.

Lastly, it only works on Microsoft PCs, not Apple.
Another thorn in Taiwan’s side for being so stupid on how it sets these sort of “great ideas” up.

All from personal experience in last year or two of the wife running around to various bureaus to set it up, but then finding out that last critical point.

Has anyone figured this out? I will be in this situation in a couple of months. I will get some forms from my employer and I also need to self report a stock trade. I am not sure if I can do all of this online.

1 Like

You’ll need to designate power of attorney. Easiest is with a lawyer.

Any recommendations?

I’m in Taiwan at the moment, but it sucks that I can’t do this until May -_-

As a matter of fact I do! He speaks English well.

1 Like

Thanks! Btw, is there no real way to do this online remotely? I was able to remote file US tax easily last year, and just assumed the same exists for Taiwan. I have pretty minimal tax stuff to show, and would like to avoid lawyer fees if I can.

will you still be a resident of Taiwan? just out of the country? or you are leaving here for good?
it is possible to do it remotely if you will still have your NHI Card, card reader and a valid bank account in Taiwan.
Any tax returns will only be remitted to a TW bank, so even though you dont have to physically be here, you still have to have the account etc.

I’m not sure. In Canada, once you cease being a resident, you no longer have to file, which means it’s been years since I’ve filed.

I’ve never filed in Italy too.

I’ll still have ARC status, but I won’t be a tax resident for the year 2022 (I was for 2021). I will have an active TW bank account, however.

I still need to file for 2021.

Apparently the software only works on Windows machines (which I don’t have)? And I’m not sure if I can report capital gains easily (not sure how that works here yet).

If anyone has filed Taiwan tax remotely in the recent years, it would be super helpful if you could share your experience.

Does anyone know if it’s really impossible to file 2021 taxes before May 2022? I really want to get this done with while I’m in Taiwan if possible.

You can certainly drop by your local taxation centre to ask. It should be possible as foreigners who permanently leave need to file.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll do this tomorrow. I did call today and said I won’t be here for the rest of the year, and they mentioned POA or using the online software but didn’t give me any details. I really hope it’s possible for foreigners leaving Taiwan to file early.

1 Like

Drop by the tax office I think is best.

1 Like