Paypal are a useless shower of

OK, has anybody been able to successfully update their credit card expiry date on Paypal? I certainly haven’t, and Paypal’s customer service either can’t read English or are very very stupid, so I have given up expecting them to answer my question.

The card is a Taiwanese AMEX that I have been using on Paypal and elsewhere for a year. The only thing that has changed is the expiry date: From 03/06 to 03/09. The address has not changed. The number has not changed.

After being told repeatedly to repeat the process which was not working, I have finally been told that the address on the card has been changed and cannot be verified. This is not actually the case so I can assume the Paypal Autobot is cycling through its Bloody Customers Always Asking Questions list of 1,000 random answers.

What should I do? Delete the card and put in a new one? Delete the card and try the same one again?

Looks like I should just give up, but I might want to buy something on eBay someday…

Was the update in response to an email you got from Paypal … or at least seemingly so. Have you e-mailed Paypal directly re. this, or via the e-mail address that alerted you to the required update?

I have received six scam e-mails so far, and I forwarded all of them to Paypal, who confirmed that they were indeed fake.

It may be genuine - and therefore just poo-poor customer service, but do check to be sure.

If you provide me with your Amex number and password, I can check it for you. :smiley:

After suffering through the stupid mind-numbingly arduous activation process and finally getting an account, I then had similar difficulties with an expiry date, seems to me I just deleted the card and re-registered it.

Be advised that Stray Dog is, in fact, Nigerian.

That may be so, but I am also the financial advisor to President Umbatu, and I need your assistance in accessing the US$240m currently held in the name of your recently deceased relative.

That may be so, but I am also the financial advisor to President Umbatu, and I need your assistance in accessing the US$240m currently held in the name of your recently deceased relative.[/quote]

Happy and Bleesing Greetings to you Kind sir!!!

I actually had no problems updating my details when the card last expired (VISA). I was surprised how easy it was, in fact.

Unfortunately, someone emptied my bank account the next day, but hey.
(The emptying of the bank account is a joke, but the rest is true).

I am a thank you very muchingly for your Help, Mr Otanabu. I am no longer infected, besides the rash had clearing up is very nice.

So that was a Taiwanese VISA card? Irony is I even had AMEX record my address on their computers in English, and it’s a company address without anything difficult on it: 123 Bing Bong Road, Taipei. No floors, alleys, nuffink.

I suppose I’ll try my VISA card then. But the address is in Chinese like an explosion in a barbed wire factory. No way Paypal could deal with that. Fools.

paypal sux. period.
paypalsucks.com/

their premier and biz account are (unfortunetaly) the only easy and affordable solution for sellers and online commerce. depressing :frowning:

[quote=“hexuan”]I am a thank you very muchingly for your Help, Mr Otanabu. I am no longer infected, besides the rash had clearing up is very nice.

So that was a Taiwanese VISA card? Irony is I even had AMEX record my address on their computers in English, and it’s a company address without anything difficult on it: 123 Bing Bong Road, Taipei. No floors, alleys, nuffink.

I suppose I’ll try my VISA card then. But the address is in Chinese like an explosion in a barbed wire factory. No way Paypal could deal with that. Fools.[/quote]

Naah. Good ol’ Nor’n Bank. Belfast address.

You folks using Paypal Taiwan services? I thought there was a thread on it somewhere but couldn’t locate. TIA,

[quote=“5566”]…their premier and biz account are (unfortunetaly) the only easy and affordable solution for sellers and online commerce. depressing :([/quote]The man selling CJKOS does so through Worldpay. I’d never heard of Worldpay and was a bit wary making an online payment through them at first but then I found out that it’s a division of the Royal Bank of Scotland.

So perhaps Worldpay is another easy and affordable solution.

the problem with worldpay or other alternatives is that they are usually not well known. it means that a potential client will usually buy somewhere else if he doesnt know/trust the payment solution on your site.

most of the time other online payment alternatives arent as simple, flexible and immediate as paypal. with a premier/biz account you can take payments from cc, visa/amex… just like a real merchant solution that costs several thousands us$ a month.

fraud is a big problem on paypal for both the buyer and the seller. account hijackings are very common. i think that google payment thing is very promising…

the problem with worldpay or other alternatives is that they are usually not well known. it means that a potential client will usually buy somewhere else if he doesnt know/trust the payment solution on your site.

most of the time other online payment alternatives arent as simple, flexible and immediate as paypal. with a premier/biz account you can take payments from cc, visa/amex… just like a real merchant solution that costs several thousands us$ a month.[/quote]Worldpay take credit card payments. As I said, I hadn’t heard of them before, but when I found out they were part of the Royal Bank of Scotland I felt fine about paying through them.

i remember i checked it out for my site before. i dont remember why but i decided not to use it. it might have been the %.
for a buyer, if you feel ok with it, it’s fine. i think all those online payments variants are basically the same for customers…

[/quote]

Worldpay is pretty well known in the UK, as long as you template the page to look like the rest of your site you should not be turning customers away. I would say a crappy looking site will turn away more customers than an unknown payment provider. I personally am more weary of sites using PayPal as it is tougher to open an account with someone like WP.

Of course WP does have its downside, 4.5% fee and they keep your money for 30 days…

this is why i said payments thru paypal are ‘immediate’. :wink:

90% of my site’s clients were from north america. paypal also stays universally recognized and used. very unfortunate.

[quote=“Hexuan”]My original message:

customer subject: Why will you not allow me to change the date on my customer message: Additional Information: 'When I try and change the expiry date on my AMEX card by using the pull down boxes, I am told that “we cannot verify this card” and that that is the end of the matter and that I will soon not be able to make payments with Paypal.

Surely your inability to verify a credit card should not become my
problem!? Anyway, there appears to be no solution to this but if you have a suggestion I would be glad to hear it, otherwise I might as well abandon PayPal because this really is too much trouble.'[/quote]

My response:

[quote=“Hexuan”]No, sorry, wrong answer again. The billing address hasn’t changed (how could the billing address have changed!??? - You can see quite clearly that the billing address hasn’t changed!!! THE ONLY THING THAT I AM TRYING TO CHANGE IS THE EXPIRY DATE!!!)

OK, so nobody at PayPal knows why I can’t change the expiry date on my card from 03/06 to 03/09. What can I say? It’s your loss, not mine. What a company!!![/quote]

Hehe. Same shit, different customer service…

Sorry 'bout that, hexuan.

I had a similar experience with Yahoo, where the first two replies were carbon copies of each other (after me complaining about the first one). They did eventually sort out the problem though (after a lot of persistence).

Mirian must be a bot too :laughing:

you dont know how much time i wasted with this kind of stupid emails in order to resolve bad situations in this f… joke they call ‘resolution center’.