PBS Documentary: The Death Camps

I have just watched this documentary.

pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/camp/view/

A lot of footage I have never seen before. Highly recommended to anyone interested in the topic.

(I wonder will there ever be such a video made of China’s laogais?)

I’ll keep that link and try to watch it … sometime. I find these things terribly difficult to watch. I get awful feelings of guilt – “I know all about this horror, so why am I watching it? Am I just being a ghoul?”

[quote=“21p”]I have just watched this documentary.

pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/camp/view/

A lot of footage I have never seen before. Highly recommended to anyone interested in the topic.

(I wonder will there ever be such a video made of China’s laogais?)[/quote]

Zip, Thanks for posting the link. It is indeed hard to watch, but it is a service to the victims to watch it, in my opinion. It keeps in the forefront of our minds how things can spiral out of control when people suppress their innate goodness for their innate greed and fear. The work done by the photographers and directors is outstanding and their initial concerns about contrivance and propaganda are evidenced even today in the denial by vocal minorities.

The History Channel did a fine job of putting together a one hour tape of Chang’s “Rape of Nanking” that is one of the very few that I’ve seen on China. Except for odd footage here and there, we still wait for the Chinese equivalent of a "Shoah
or even a “Schindler’s List.”

OOC

I still “enjoy” watching Capra’s “Why We Fight: The War in China” even though you have to do broken field running around the propaganda.

-Apologies. I dropped the last paragraph of my post when I did the cut and paste thing.-

As to the more modern aspects of the Chinese laogais, [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005RRID/qid=1117614238/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/002-5181368-9325641?v=glance&s=dvd]