PC police strikes again

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/tv/realitytv/big-brother/article.aspx?cp-documentid=9468584

[quote]Former EastEnder Wendy Richard has apologised for offensive comments she made about Big Brother’s Kat.
The 65-year-old actress - who appeared as a guest on offshoot talk show Big Brother’s Little Brother - sparked a ‘racism’ row with a remark she made about Thai-born housemate Kathreya Kasisopa.
Wendy told LBC radio on Wednesday: "I’m so upset I’m so close to tears. I feel ill.
"I did not want to get BBLB in trouble. What I was trying to convey is that Kat did not betray her thoughts about what was going on in the house all of the time.
“I have just been told by an American friend that in the US, ‘Oriental’ is considered offensive and I did not know that. I did not mean to cause offence to anyone.”
Wendy said on BBLB on Monday night: “What is it they say about these inscrutable Chinese? And she is Thai, but it is all Oriental isn’t it? Well it is to me anyway.”
Presenter George Lamb interrupted: “I don’t think that is unique to Asian people, more to Kat.”
Ofcom said it had received a number of complaints about the comments.
Wendy added to the radio station: "It’s a long time since I was a school but I was thinking of those Arthur Conan Doyle books with Sherlock Holmes when it was the inscrutable Chinese.
“I’m terribly sorry and I certainly would not want to offend anyone, I’m not that sort of person. It has upset me a lot.”[/quote]

WALOB, if this world carries on along that path then we’re well and truly up shit creek!

a lot of peoples like to think of the Middle East as a place with restrained freedom,but it’s clear from where i’m standing that the west is the dictatorship!
a revolution,that’s what we need

Yes, it’s a sad day indeed when we can’t complain about the inscrutability of those wily…ah, Asiatics? Is that what we’re supposed to call them now…?

Next thing you know, they’re going to try to tell us that the Sherlock Holmes stories are unreliable as to herpetology!

I don’t know who any of those people are, but it doesn’t strike me as PC, but just a totally stupid comment from a bimbo entertainer who doesn’t know shit. Big deal. Lots of ignorant people in the world.

Neither term should be offensive.

Asia is the Greek term for “East”.

Orient is the Latin term for “East”.

The Mandarin term for China is “Middle Kingdom”.

The term for Japan in various languages is “the land of the rising sun” that is, the easternmost land where the sun first arises in the morning.

I do not see how, logically, how any of this can possibly be offensive, with the exception of Zhong Guo’s arrogance. If PC were genuinely PC, we would be targetting the bloody Middle Kindgomers, of all people. The gall! (And no, that is not a pun upon “the Gaul”).

[quote=“Quentin”]Neither term should be offensive.

Asia is the Greek term for “East”.

Orient is the Latin term for “East”.

The Mandarin term for China is “Middle Kingdom”.

The term for Japan in various languages is “the land of the rising sun” that is, the easternmost land where the sun first arises in the morning.

I do not see how, logically, how any of this can possibly be offensive, with the exception of Zhong Guo’s arrogance. If PC were genuinely PC, we would be targetting the bloody Middle Kindgomers, of all people. The gall! (And no, that is not a pun upon “the Gaul”).[/quote]

My sentiments exactly, :bravo:

The origin of the word is irrelevant. The term “nigger” was not originally offensive, but is so in its modern usage. We could say the same about the term “oriental.”
Dumb comment anyway…

[quote=“Mawvellous”]The origin of the word is irrelevant. The term “nigger” was not originally offensive, but is so in its modern usage. We could say the same about the term “oriental.”
Dumb comment anyway…[/quote]

What would you say about “niggardly”? Or “oriented” for that matter?

[quote=“Quentin”][quote=“Mawvellous”]The origin of the word is irrelevant. The term “nigger” was not originally offensive, but is so in its modern usage. We could say the same about the term “oriental.”

What would you say about “niggardly”? Or “oriented” for that matter?[/quote]

Don’t ask… apparently the PC police take offense at these words too… cause most have no idea what they mean you stingy miserly indoctrinated person. :smiley: :smiley:

I think “Middle Kingdom” sounds kind of cute. Makes me thing of hobbits and such.

Bimbo?

She was probably upset at being called Chinese. Doesn’t go down too well with Anglo Thais…

[quote=“Buttercup”]Bimbo?

She was probably upset at being called Chinese. Doesn’t go down too well with Anglo Thais…[/quote]

Now I’m even more confused. I was the one who said bimbo and I was referring to some lady named Wendy Richards, who appears to be a caucasian entertainer who has seen better days (but I really don’t know who she is so I can’t say for sure) and who said the following about some lady born in Thailand:

“What is it they say about these inscrutable Chinese? And she is Thai, but it is all Oriental isn’t it? Well it is to me anyway.”

I referred to the speaker as a bimbo to make such a dumb comment. Dumb not because of her use of the word “oriental” and not because her comment was un-PC, but because it’s stupid. But, as I said, no biggie: people make stupid comments all the time.

Nothing, they are different words.

[quote=“Mawvellous”]The origin of the word is irrelevant. The term “nigger” was not originally offensive, but is so in its modern usage. We could say the same about the term “oriental.”

I think the point is that if anyone’s stupid its the new majority that cannot appreciate the origin of a word. A stupid democracy you might call it. Unfortunately it was the stupid that started the whole PC campaign in the first place. Even textbooks these days eliminate the word “fat” when describing someone. It used to be OK, but now so many stupid people are obese and cannot control themselves that they like to believe that its not their fault and instead of doing something about it, lazily find it easier to just blame people for making comments about them.

‘Stupidity’ is the new ‘clever’, and they’re out there in droves, re-writing our education as we speak.

:bravo: :bravo: sulavaca for president :bravo: :bravo:

Many of the ‘PC’ stories have no basis in fact. You might read, for example, that using the term ‘black coffee’ has been ‘banned’ by some undefined ‘PC police’…in fact these stories are often distorted or made up.
Who exactly said that the word ‘fat’ must be eliminated from textbooks?

[quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“Mawvellous”]The origin of the word is irrelevant. The term “nigger” was not originally offensive, but is so in its modern usage. We could say the same about the term “oriental.”

I think the point is that if anyone’s stupid its the new majority that cannot appreciate the origin of a word. A stupid democracy you might call it. Unfortunately it was the stupid that started the whole PC campaign in the first place. Even textbooks these days eliminate the word “fat” when describing someone. It used to be OK, but now so many stupid people are obese and cannot control themselves that they like to believe that its not their fault and instead of doing something about it, lazily find it easier to just blame people for making comments about them.

‘Stupidity’ is the new ‘clever’, and they’re out there in droves, re-writing our education as we speak.[/quote]

I’m not fat, I’m circumferentially challenged.

Is occidental also terribly offensive?

No, the term “occidental” is also almost never used in everyday speech. “Oriental” is also not necessarily offensive, but many people think that calling Asian people “orientals” is ill-mannered or even offensive. So why not respect that view, and refer to them in a different way. All this “anti-PC stuff” really is a load of crap…most of it is simply about good manners. If you behave in an ill-mannered way towards people, don’t be surprised if they complain.

Who are these ‘many people’, and why should I respect their view? You see, I have to remember that:

This being the case, how about that word ‘nigger’? Is that still offensive, or is that just one of those ‘PC’ stories with ‘no basis in fact’? If I see a coloured person/Negro/African American/slave descendant on the street for example, can I say to my friend ‘Hey look, it’s a nigger’?

As long as you’re black! :laughing:

They only find it offensive if you’re white. Otherwise go for it. You’re being hip!