PDA crapped itself

My Sony Clie, running PalmOS, has become unusable.

I bought it in Taiwan with an English OS, a few weeks after arriving here - when I knew even less than I do now.

Later I learned that it’s a model only available in Asia, one of their experimental products, that should only have a Chinese OS. The nice man in the shop had somehow installed something I could use, but it’s never been very reliable.

Last year the ‘To do’ list stopped synching. At first, deleted items would re-appear at every hotsynch. I tried deleting them on the desktop first, and then on both the desktop and the handheld. No good. I tried overwriting one with the other. Still no good. Eventually it started to hang whenever I synched, and I had to disable that feature.

This week the date book stopped synching. Everything hung. I tried overwriting the handheld with the desktop, but it hung all the same and after resetting I found that the date book had been mostly deleted on the handheld.

Before I buy a new one, does anyone know if it’s possible to reinstall the OS anyhow?

Also, I’ve lost the manual and can’t remember how to do a hard reset. I just did a soft reset, and noticed that it remembered the date incorrectly - three days out this time. :unamused:

if you do a search online you will find instructions to do a hard reset, which should restore the PDA to the original ROM image, which I guess you already know. The trick for you tho, is this: Did the guy, flash the ROM for you or did he just install the English OS over the top? if he didn’t flash the ROM then a hard reset might give you back the Chinese OS. This might be a good thing tho, cos then you can SELL it more easily and buy a Pocket PC.

If you dig around the web I’m sure you will find some info about the OS, and maybe an OS ROM image or whatever. The other option is to take it back to the dude and get him to weave his semi-magic to fix it for you so you can SELL it more easily and buy a Pocket PC.

http://www.1src.com/

Try this website for help. I’ve used it to find stuff for my Clie. Best of luck

Sure the problem doesn’t lie with your computer?

My Clie completely did itself in 2 weeks ago. It’s one year old.

Would not hold battery charge then just gave up. They want 2,000nt to replace the battery and 6,000 will buy a Palm.

I’m waiting on those all in one phone PDA jobs to get cheaper.

[quote=“Ironman”]My Clie completely did itself in 2 weeks ago. It’s one year old.

Would not hold battery charge then just gave up. They want 2,000nt to replace the battery and 6,000 will buy a Palm.

I’m waiting on those all in one phone PDA jobs to get cheaper.[/quote]

Two words:

Pocket PC.

[quote=“Ironman”]
I’m waiting on those all in one phone PDA jobs to get cheaper.[/quote]

A girl at my school has one of those, a Nokia, and she says it’s utter shite…Perhaps the one’s from the TMoble line are good(it’s a US company) but alas they don’t sell it here. :s

Not sure if anyone has said this 2 or 3 times, but buy a Pocket PC. :unamused:

I would have gone with a pocket pc, but the only reason I bought a palm in the first place was for the pleco dictionary. Pleco hasn’t released a dictionary for pocket pc yet. Too bad. I’d really like to have wireless internet, but unfortunately that’s not an option with palm. :frowning:

Although I love Palm devices in general (I write for them and use the Pleco dictionaries and SuperMemo all the time), my color Clie committed suicide about a month back as well. Not even a note.

It may have been despondent over the fact that I bought a newer Palm, though. :laughing:

Two different computers.

Done that. No good. Thanks for the help though.

Next!

A hard reset didn’t work? Oh dear…

So I guess the only other option now if to reinstall the operating system, and even that may not solve it. Good luck :s

Um…yes it is. If you want buy the new Lifedrive, it has bluetooth and WiFi and a 4 gig harddrive.

Um…yes it is. If you want buy the new Lifedrive, it has bluetooth and WiFi and a 4 gig harddrive.[/quote]Plecodict will be available for Pocket PC very soon. But Palm still has life in it. My Treo 600 is a great thing; does everything I need.