Peace Corps/VSO experiences?

I know there have been mentions of these two programs in various threads in the distant past, but I wanted to get as much of the information/opinions in one thread as possible.

I’m in the middle of applying for the Peace Corps. I have taught English in Taipei for one year. I have a feeling there are at least a few posters here who have done the Peace Corps or something similar. What I’m curious to know is:

1. Who’s participated in the Peace Corps or a comparable program from another country? Where were you sent, what did you do, what did you enjoy most and what did you dislike?

2. Did you do it before or after coming to Taiwan? How did having been in Taiwan inform your experience on the program, or vice versa?

3. For those of you who did a teaching assignment BEFORE coming to Taiwan to teach, do you think it’d be folly to accept what amounts to a volunteer teaching assignment with Peace Corps after knowing what kind of money can be made in Taiwan?

4. Do those of you who have looked for or found jobs (whether or not you still have them) back home after your service feel that having the experience on your CV has made you more competitive and employable?

5. For those who served on Peace Corps during the last four years, did you experience noticeable anti-Americanism?

6. What did you do with the wad of cash they gave you upon completion of the service? (Don’t know if this applies to programs other than the Peace Corps)

Thanks for your input guys.

Send a PM to Michael Turton. He posts as Vorko-something or other. He’s done all sorts of work like that.

Will try that, thanks, Tomas.

But he can’t be the only one?! Speak up, guys!

This topic is too complex and lengthy to deal with here. Give me a call, I’ve PMed you with my number.

Vorkosigan

I was in Kenya from Sept of 1986 to Jan of 1989. I worked as a teacher in a village high school. I lived near a small village called Kaongo Kamau on the road between Kangeta and Lare, in the center of Kenya’s miraa (qaat) industry.

I loved everything, from the people to the intensity of the experience, the constant fact that I was totally alone, the wildlife and incredible natural beauty, and the fact that I was doing something useful to others. I miss Africa terribly, like a pain.

I guess I disliked the food the most, it was awful and monotonous. The conditions of existence, no electricity, walking everywhere, dangerous public transport, bad hospitals, etc, became normal and I never noticed them.

That is an incredibly complex question. I learned a lot in Peace Corps, but didn’t realize how little I understood about Kenya until I came here. Most people, even those who live in a place five or six years, understand it very little – judging from the incredibly naive letters I get from people who write me about my website here. I realized from living here, and reflecting back on my experience in Kenya, that I knew almost nothing about Kenya, and that I saw only surfaces. Foreigners are like dragonflies above a pond, trying to figure out what is going on below the surface of the waves, seeing only distorted shapes and unclear motions.

Hell no. Teaching in Peace Corps is prestigious. It is service to the nation that is as dangerous and proud as any, and will give you a new perspective on development, our foreign policy, and wherever you are sent – and on your self and your Taiwan experience. Your Taiwan experience will never spark the same feeling of pride Peace Corps will.

That would be FUCK NO with a capital FUCK and a capital NO. But that’s just my personal experience.

Spent six months on the road, lived my dream, going to India, China, Thailand, Indonesia, Nepal, etc…

Vorkosigan

That would be FUCK NO with a capital FUCK and a capital NO. But that’s just my personal experience.
[/quote]
That’s interesting. The few Peace Corps folks I’ve known made out like it helped them when applying for post-grad study, but that’s obviously different from applying for jobs. Care to share with us why you think it doesn’t help someone’s CV?

This is from Vork’s website: [quote]Returning to the United States after a few years in Taiwan can be a wrenching experience. When I got back and moved down to Austin, Texas, I applied to the alternative teacher certification program there, thinking that with my diverse background and wide range of skills, any program would be happy to have me. Despite my qualifications (ten years teaching English, experience as a teacher trainer, former Peace Corps volunteer, high school and college teaching experience, etc) I could not make the cut of 250 candidates out of 750. They apparently found 250 people better-qualified to enter a teacher training program than this writer. The program’s hilarious position was that they could only take 250 because more trainees would have problems finding work. This is in a state with a teacher shortage of 40,000 and growing.

Postscript: in May of '01 I ran into another person, a former Peace Corps teacher with teaching certification in three countries, foreign languages, MA in biology, who wanted into the program as a science teacher and was also rejected. What does it take?
[/quote]

http://users2.ev1.net/~turton/return.html

Vork,

I taught history, geography and some English at a small harambee school in Western Province (Kenya), at the foot of the Nandi Escarpment, not too far from the Kakamega Forest in 1986/1987. Instead of going through the drawn out process of applying to the Peace Corps, and not getting to go to the country where I knew I wanted to be, I just got on a plane, and went and sorted work out myself. I was an African History major in College, and I had one contact name in Western, from one of my professors, which proved to be all I needed to get started.

It was an amazing experience. Even now, not too many days pass without me thinking about how lucky I was to have had a chance to step out of my life and world, and step into the lives of my students and the community that I lived in. It was also very, very challenging at times. Because I was there on my own I didn’t have the support network that you Peace Corps people have, I had no training, no insurance, no one to call in a pinch, no U.S. government back up, no lump payment at the end of my stay, and none of the networking perks that come with Peace Corps experience, if one is keen to pursue a subsequent career in International Development. On the other hand I think I leanred a lot from the experience of having to be self-reliant there, which continues to help me in life.

To be honest, I didn’t have a very high opinion of many of the P.C. volunteers I met in Western. They would spend every weekend partying and getting jiggy with each other, which always seemed to me like escapism to me. None of them struck me as the most culturally adaptable folk. And several of them gave the impression that they had know idea what they were getting themselves into, prior to coming to Kenya, or how to cope in country. But this is just my reactions to the admitedly small sampling of P.C. volunteers who I happened to bump into.

Have you read George Paker’s “The Village of Waiting”? His account of his P.C. experience in Togo. It’s a great read, though I was talking with some Peace Corps adminstration folks, not too long ago, and they had a dim view of the book. April, I think it would be a great read, if you can have someone send it to you (amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ … 11-5296636)

April, in a not very succinct answer to your question - If you are looking at a possible stint in the Peace Corps as a way to add a little bit of panache to your resume, as a mainstream career stepping stone (and all you bring to the table as far as hard skills is English Teaching), then I think you’d be seriously wasting your time. If you feel a strong “call to service”, and really want to open yourself up to being thrown into some challenging, but potentially very personally rewarding situations, and you are interested in a career in International Development, or the Foreign Service, a P.C. stint is a great start. Though if all you have done for the P.C. is teach English, the value of the experience might not be that great in this arena either.

And, remember, the P.C. allows you to state country preferences, but they offer no guarantees. How valuable an experience would it be if they sent you to teach English at a Teacher’s College in Chengdu (because of your Chinese language skills), when yeah… you could be making a LOT more money teaching the same stuff at a Teacher’s College right where you are, in the ROC.

If English Teaching is all you bring to the table, skills wise, then it seems very likely that that’s what they are going to pigeon hole you to do in the P.C. In which case, how do you grow experientially? English Teaching in the Peace Corps, to me, is more suited to people with a teaching background in the States, who want to get some colorful overseas experience (but don’t have the initiative to arrange it themselves), or for people who are trying to transition into development work.

As far as that wad of cash they give you at the end of service, you should be able to save as much or more in Taiwan, doing what you’re doing now, over the same period of time, and in Taiwan you have the opportunity to transition into other fields of work, if opportunities present themselves.

I’d be very interested to know what’s behind your interest in the Peace Corps. Is it something you’ve always wanted to do? Something you’ve felt passionately about for a long time? Do you simply feel stuck in a rut in Taiwan, and can’t imagine going back to the States, so the P.C. looms as a “something to do” option? Do you have those strong long term development/Foreign Service goals in mind? Do you suddenly feel the world is a crazy place, thanks in part to the U.S. of A., and you want to join the peace corps in order to give something back to the world and your country? Are you going through an existential crisis?

I wish you luck with your application, and hope that you think things through before you sign the contract, if they offer you a position as an English Teacher.

If you want to bounce some ideas around, PM me, I’ll try and give you prompt and reasonably well thought out replies. :wink:

We must have had many friends in common, then. We were in Kenya at the same time. Did you know Karen Beardsley? Greg DeNui? Anita Vedell? Carol Watkins, who married a local? Dee Williamson? Pete Wozniak? Karen Hunt? Jill Edwards? Graham and Emily Pugh? Audrey Barnhill? Rebecca Moss? God, that was twenty years ago. I can’t remember anyone who was out there. It wouldn’t surprise me if we had actually met, I was all over Kenya…

Kenya was a great country then. So beautiful. I still keep in touch with people there, and track events on AllAfrica.com, a great news site, but it has really gone downhill. I opened up the Kenya guide at the Chaoyang library the other day, and was shocked to read that you can’t really move between town and beach on the coast anymore “Do not walk down the lane between X and the beach, or you’ll be mugged.” Take a taxi from point to point, or you’ll be mugged." And to think I used to sleep on the beach there…and hitchhike everywhere. Sad.

Your opinion of us simply mirrors our opinion of people like you – low on commitment, able to leave any time, etc. I could go on. It’s funny, actually. All the development volunteers sneer at each other. We looked down on UN volunteers (overpaid), Euro volunteers (there to fuck africans), VSO (underpaid) etc. Ah, you can take the volunteer out of the snobbery, but you can’t…

I taught history and geography too, east african history. Didn’t know a thing about it, stocked up on books and forged into it. It was a blast. I taught 38 hours a week, since we were short teachers, and I also taught all the science classes at one point or another. I tutored at night too. I lived for my students. What else was there? I had no girlfriend either PC or local, and there was no TV or anything at my site – telephone arrived the second year, so all I did was work, work, work. I really enjoyed the intensity, the demands on me…

Michael

Hmm, never mind. (Was “VSO” added up there as an edit, or was that there before and I’m just unobservant?)

[quote=“Vorkosigan”]We must have had many friends in common, then. We were in Kenya at the same time. Did you know Karen Beardsley? Greg DeNui? Anita Vedell? Carol Watkins, who married a local? Dee Williamson? Pete Wozniak? Karen Hunt? Jill Edwards? Graham and Emily Pugh? Audrey Barnhill? Rebecca Moss? God, that was twenty years ago. I can’t remember anyone who was out there. It wouldn’t surprise me if we had actually met, I was all over Kenya…

Kenya was a great country then. So beautiful. I still keep in touch with people there, and track events on AllAfrica.com, a great news site, but it has really gone downhill. I opened up the Kenya guide at the Chaoyang library the other day, and was shocked to read that you can’t really move between town and beach on the coast anymore “Do not walk down the lane between X and the beach, or you’ll be mugged.” Take a taxi from point to point, or you’ll be mugged." And to think I used to sleep on the beach there…and hitchhike everywhere. Sad.

Your opinion of us simply mirrors our opinion of people like you – low on commitment, able to leave any time, etc. I could go on. It’s funny, actually. All the development volunteers sneer at each other. We looked down on UN volunteers (overpaid), Euro volunteers (there to fuck africans), VSO (underpaid) etc. Ah, you can take the volunteer out of the snobbery, but you can’t…

I taught history and geography too, east african history. Didn’t know a thing about it, stocked up on books and forged into it. It was a blast. I taught 38 hours a week, since we were short teachers, and I also taught all the science classes at one point or another. I tutored at night too. I lived for my students. What else was there? I had no girlfriend either PC or local, and there was no TV or anything at my site – telephone arrived the second year, so all I did was work, work, work. I really enjoyed the intensity, the demands on me…

Michael[/quote]

Michael,

First off, I’m spinning some Franco et le T.P.O.K. Jazz featuring the master, Tabu Ley Rochereau as I write this, in honor of that great time when we both lived in the Sauti ya Kenya, and soukous ruled the airwaves, and was blared in all the matatus. [Remember the song, “Monica”, or Franco’s forced tribute to Mobutu Sese Seko, the stunning vocals of M’bilia Bel, Patty Shange and the awesome Yvonne Chakka Chakka? Did you ever see Orchestra Super Mazembe play in Nairobi? My god, did they rock. Apparently you can download the ringtone for Yvonne Chakka Chakka’s “Thank you Mister DJ” at this site… http://www.viberingtones.net/ringtones.php just in case you want a East African blast from the past every time someone calls you]

To be honest, I never got beyond first name basis with any of the PC volunteers. I only spent a couple of afternoons at the Golf Hotel in Kakamega where they all used to gather. My true friends in Kenya where a Kikuyu Administration Policeman who was posted to our little village to guard the government maize grinding and buying station, and a great kid who lived on a little shamba between the school, where my house was, and the sakoni.

The Policeman and I were great buddies. He being Kikuyu in the heart of the Luyia people, and me being a masungu, made us both outsiders. We passed many an unforgettable weekend afternoon sipping busa and talking shite. He had a girlfriend who would cook up some great sukomowiki and ugali, sometimes with an egg and some tomato, accented with some of the curry powder that I brought from home, while it lasted. Great food, and really, really great times. Late at night, when we’d had our meal, finished all the busa on hand, plus the container we had sent out for, he’d walk me back to my place, flash light in one hand, bull whip in the other. Being tight with a police was like being a made man, in those days, out there in the middle of nowhere. Nobody messed.

Our little village was out in the sticks. The nearest electricity, telephone, and cold beer was about 8 dusty miles to a small village on the tarmac road between Kakamega and Eldoret. When the sun set, the darkness set in like I

does that require a postgraduate degree? I just read Peter Hessler’s “River Town” about teaching English at a Teacher’s College in Sichuan. I’m a bit envious of the kind of teaching he got to do there, doing literature with college students. I haven’t heard of jobs like that here though they must exist.

does that require a postgraduate degree? I just read Peter Hessler’s “River Town” about teaching English at a Teacher’s College in Sichuan. I’m a bit envious of the kind of teaching he got to do there, doing literature with college students. I haven’t heard of jobs like that here though they must exist.[/quote]

There are some nice campuses in China, too. And if you check out some of the colleges and unis you’ll always find some crusty prof who’s been there 15 years and quite happy about it. It’s not going to pay fantastic money, but I reckon I could grow to like it. Maybe just save a bit here and go in search of.

I had a funny experience with VSO. First they rejected me for teaching English in China, then they employed me to teach Chinese to the people who were accepted.

I know several people who recently completed P.C. stints out in mainland China. Most of them were teaching English, but one guy was adamant in saying that he was teaching ecological and environmental awareness. Anyhoo, most of them enjoyed their experiences (well, the ones I met were the ones who were staying on in China. I guess anyone who hated would have buggered off on the first plane out.) Though I imagine going from the megabucks (you could save a lot more in Taiwan in two year than that lump sum) and the 7-11’s that’s buxiban teaching in Taiwan to some industrial college two hours outside of Chongqing and living off of 1100RMB a month could be hard.

One thing that most of them mentioned was that since they were assigned to third-string schools in the middle of nowhere which weren’t the students’ first choice in universities, it could be challenging to motivate the students. Suicide was very common among the student population (two or three a year). That said, there’s a lot of freedom with the curriculum and since you’re going through the P.C., you don’t have to deal as much with the Chinese university administration, which I hear from non-P.C. foreign university teachers is almost always impossible to deal with.

I once worked with a Taiwanese aid organization for a couple of years. We worked with Hmong refugees from Laos in the north of Thailand and in the Khmer Camps in Ahranya Phatet on the Cambodian boarder. It’s the kind of thing I’d do over again, if I could and might do someday. The only drawback is that it’s hard to turn a buck doing it.

One of the fun things I did was design a business development workshop. It was a mishmash between a power breakfast phsyc session, newage optimism, and business basics. We had many very funny and wonderful experiences conducting these seminars.

Thanks, everyone, for replying. Yeah, my original topic heading did include VSO, and comments and/or descriptions of that program are definitely still welcome.

FYI I’m no longer in Taiwan. Before I went to Taiwan in Aug. 2003, I’d already made it to the nomination stage of my PC application. When I decided to go to TW, my recruiter said my application could be put on hold for a year, and picked up where we left off. July of this year, I called and said I was returning to the States, and wanted to reactivate the application. She was all for it. However, sometime between that correspondence and the actual expiration date of my application, someone else in her office did some overzealous housecleaning and shredded my application. So I’m now in the process of re-doing the application. :fume:

Actually, I’m thinking at the moment that I would like to go to China. I’ve never been there before, and I’m not after the money. I do, in fact, have an interest in int’l development, and I’m thinking that even if I do get stuck with a pure teaching assignment, I can use whatever time I have off to volunteer in the community. Besides, I’ve always had an interest in improving my Chinese abilities.

Since my recruiter and I have known each other for more than a year now, and she feels bad that my application was prematurely terminated, I’m fairly sure she’d do her best to nominate me into my preferred country.

I guess what I’m fidgety about is whether, in the whole scope of my life, a PC stint will really be that invaluable. There are so many varied things I want to do and try, and I feel like I’m aging more and more quickly. Those of you who’ve met me are probably laughing because I am, relatively, still quite young. But, damn, the days just seem to zip by now.

I realize that ultimately the decision is mine to make. However, I am enjoying reading about everyone’s experiences and I do appreciate learning of them. If you’ve got anymore, keep it coming!

Aprimo,

More advice from Uncle Tomas here.

If you’re conflicted about the decision, try this:

Write down a list of all of the questions/concerns you have about the decision, or the various options you’re considering.
Find a quiet place with no distractions. Sit comfortably with your list of questions on your lap.
Clear your mind by breathing deeply for a minute or two and thinking of nothing but your breathing.
Slowly go through your list of questions, and see what your instincts tell you. The answers you need are already there; they’re just getting blocked by all of the concerns you have and by outside distractions.

I use this method to figure out what I’m going to do with my life and career, and it works very well in getting to the answers. The tricky part is finding the strength to follow through on what you know is right for you. I know you, and I think you’ve got that strength.

For those who think this method is too zen or whatever, no problem. I use it because it works for me. I learned it from an uncle who is the polar opposite of a charlatan. The most accomplished person I know.

Good luck.

Uncle T.

[quote=“aprimo”]Thanks, everyone, for replying. Yeah, my original topic heading did include VSO, and comments and/or descriptions of that program are definitely still welcome.

FYI I’m no longer in Taiwan. Before I went to Taiwan in Aug. 2003, I’d already made it to the nomination stage of my PC application. When I decided to go to TW, my recruiter said my application could be put on hold for a year, and picked up where we left off. July of this year, I called and said I was returning to the States, and wanted to reactivate the application. She was all for it. However, sometime between that correspondence and the actual expiration date of my application, someone else in her office did some overzealous housecleaning and shredded my application. So I’m now in the process of re-doing the application. :fume:

Actually, I’m thinking at the moment that I would like to go to China. I’ve never been there before, and I’m not after the money. I do, in fact, have an interest in int’l development, and I’m thinking that even if I do get stuck with a pure teaching assignment, I can use whatever time I have off to volunteer in the community. Besides, I’ve always had an interest in improving my Chinese abilities.

Since my recruiter and I have known each other for more than a year now, and she feels bad that my application was prematurely terminated, I’m fairly sure she’d do her best to nominate me into my preferred country.

I guess what I’m fidgety about is whether, in the whole scope of my life, a PC stint will really be that invaluable. There are so many varied things I want to do and try, and I feel like I’m aging more and more quickly. Those of you who’ve met me are probably laughing because I am, relatively, still quite young. But, damn, the days just seem to zip by now.

I realize that ultimately the decision is mine to make. However, I am enjoying reading about everyone’s experiences and I do appreciate learning of them. If you’ve got anymore, keep it coming![/quote]

April,

Chinese or ethnic Han nationalism from the PRC must be contained aggressively. I

She could go and subvert the dominant paradigm. “Taiwan has never been a part of China! You don’t have to spit on the sidewalk to be healthy! You can overthrow Beijing and be free!”