Pedestrian Safety & Law Enforcement

Chicago has far better pedestrian infrastructure than Taipei and it is perfectly safe to walk there as a matter of traffic safety. Personal safety from crime in many areas of that great city is another matter.

In fact, every American city and town I have lived has far better pedestrian infrastructure than Taipei, Taiwan’s far and away best city for pedestrians. Americans are incredibly car dependent though.

I’m not sure I agree with this. The US is by far the worst (along with Taiwan) I’ve come across in terms of availability of safe and convenient pedestrian infrastructure, with large and dense cities like New York, Boston, and downtown Chicago being the exceptions.

In most small US towns, sidewalks disappear as soon as you leave Main Street, pedestrians share green lights with turning vehicles (a la Taiwan), guardrails along sidewalks are rare, green lights for pedestrians are short (and you often need to press a button and wait), no separate pedestrian entrances to shopping centers so you need to walk into the parking lot via the driveway (which are never located near the crosswalks you are coming from, but a ways down from the intersection), and good luck trying to walk to the other side of a freeway.

Lmao that chart is all traffic related deaths.

Your poll is very childish.

Then why did you post that chat in response to my initial post about pedestrian infrastructure?

Now it makes MUCH more sense why LA and Chicago, etc. are at the top!

Mystery solved, and case closed. Bye :wave:

Because it shows that Taipei’s traffic related deaths is super low, the number is probably not very accurate, but even if it’s 5x it’s still not that bad. :man_shrugging:

Can you not read Chinese? I thought you were from Hong Kong.

Idk how on earth you can argue that it’s dangerous for pedestrians in Taipei when most streets are super narrow and there’s so much traffic cars legit can’t drive fast enough to kill or even hurt someone.

Danger =/= annoyance.

Most large cities in the US have narrow roads and low speed limits too, but they also have sidewalks so pedestrians aren’t forced into the road.

Not nearly as narrow as roads in Taiwan. Not even close.

Yet their pedestrian deaths are HIGHER. That’s all the proof you need. :man_shrugging:

Boston’s streets are about as narrow as Taipei’s, and Los Angeles’s streets are about as wide as Kaohsiung’s.

Care to share a source for pedestrian-specific deaths?

Haven’t I shared like a billion of them? :roll:

Nothing about pedestrian deaths except that one about LA. And none for Taiwan that I’ve seen.

I literally posted them a few hours ago.

All pedestrian deaths. You do the math.

I tried to look for Chicago’s but I couldn’t find it.

Ok, I did the math.

LA is an outlier since it’s not a walking city.

The others are all about 10-15 deaths per 1 million. New York ranked better than Taipei, and about the same as New Taipei.

So basically they are all about the same and your original statement is WRONG.

If you recall, I didn’t say anything about pedestrian deaths. You were the one to bring it up. I was talking about safe and convenient pedestrian infrastructure in general.

“Safe” also means safe from injuries. It also includes how much effort a pedestrian needs to put in to avoid danger.

Taipei and NYC might have a similar number of pedestrian deaths, but a pedestrian needs to put in way more effort in Taipei than in NYC to avoid danger.

I’m done here.

1 Like

The Legislative Yuan Tuesday (May 14) passed amendments to stop the public reporting of several minor traffic violations.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) said the new regulations would go into effect as early as June.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/news/5686208