PenBay Track Days

I wouldn’t mind going for a track day to see how the track down in PenBay is on a motorcycle. Is there a way to find out when (and if) such track days are organized?

The guy who sorted my CBR out yesterday for its test, was talking about a group who had been for a trackday. As you probably know,it’s a badly designed track with too many concrete walls ,too close to the tarmac to be safe,especially for Bikes.Shame. His name is David and his website is
www.mymoto.com.tw
sure he would help you with the information…good guy. I will let you know when we start building our Miaoli track,which I hope will be a lot more bike friendly. :discodance:
Johnny crisp (on forumosa) also is a VIP member at Dapeng, maybe worth dropping him a PM for info. (He will be navigating for me in a few weeks in Pingtung(taiwu) for the TRCC rally in my Subaru…poor man :astonished: )

The guy who sorted my CBR out yesterday for its test, was talking about a group who had been for a trackday. As you probably know,it’s a badly designed track with too many concrete walls ,too close to the tarmac to be safe,especially for Bikes.Shame. His name is David and his website is
mymoto.com.tw
sure he would help you with the information…good guy. I will let you know when we start building our Miaoli track,which I hope will be a lot more bike friendly. :discodance:
Johnny crisp (on forumosa) also is a VIP member at Dapeng, maybe worth dropping him a PM for info. (He will be navigating for me in a few weeks in Pingdong(taiwu) for the TRCC rally in my Subaru…poor man :astonished: )[/quote]

Thanks. I’ve checked a few videos of the track and those walls are darn close indeed. I’m just interested in spending some time on a track to work on my ‘style’ (if I can call it that) and suspension settings. Not interested in lap times or anything of the sort. I’m getting good fun out of some of the runs I’m doing on public roads, but I don’t like to experiment too much in that environment.

You are part of the project for the Miaoli track? Can you please give me some more info on this please. I have been racing at the Longtan racetrack for 4 years now and would love a new venue to race at. I race 2-strokes (well that is what my race bike is) and the PenBay track won’t even let 2-strokes on it plus that track is too far, too expensive and I think more dangerous than the Longtan track. So it really isn’t worth it. Miaoli is a lot closer. Anyway, some info would be much appreciated. Thanks

couldn’t be any worse than Amaroo Park in Sydney. Concrete barriers much of the way around, not especially safe but hella fun especially on a bike. Closed down now by noise complaints, by people who moved there years after the track.

Watch the second last corner, the right onto the back short straight immediately before the home straight. Corner is square, narrow, against a massive barrier, and suddenly off camber. Scary on full drift!

youtube.com/watch?v=B5FZaWrbXSc

Another members day at Pen Bay and I only saw about 10 bikes and 5 cars! If you want a relatively empty track to practice on, Pen Bay is the place! There were a couple of civic race cars, a Saker and an Xbow. 20 min sessions alternating car/bikes. The last session I was the only car on the track, all to myself. Its easier to put in some good practice without clapped out Hondas crashing around, like Longtan.

Cool. So, what is required to be a ‘member’?

I paid some fees and then went on a training course. Took a morning and just went through safety, track,etiquette etc. You then do a lap just to check you can drive and to give you a taste. With my card I do get in to see some of the events for half price or even free. There don’t seem to be too many “private” members, but most car members seem to be affiliated with some kind of race team/ garage. They do have a website which might have more info.

Interesting, would you happen to remember what these fees were cost wise? I’d be keen to ride on that track but if the costs are too high because I have to join some club in order to have access to the track, that wouldn’t be interesting to me. Cheers

To be honest I can’t remember the initial join up/ membership fee. I think it may have been 20 or 30 thousand. There may have been a split between the initial joining fee and then yearly membership. They are pretty friendly so a quick call to them would be recommended. It’s 1000 for 20 mins and you can book pit garages etc. I only show up, pay and drive so never used the garages. By the way, have we met…E-51…I think you had a Golf GTI?

Yes, we did meet at E-51s old location a while back. I’m not sure how much I’m keen to join any club since all I’m interested in is doing a few sessions on my motorcycle. I don’t care about lap times as I know that circuit isn’t safe for bikes (no proper runoff), only to take some open corners without worrying about oncoming traffic. But if they are set on having people join the ‘club’ then I’ll just forget about it. I will give them a call to find out though. Thanks a lot.