Pension reform!

Nation under siege…from the inside.
The interesting thing is almost everywhere else you don’t encounter any of this stuff…so Icon…very unfortunate you are located where you are.

PS I did mention that some of these groups were hanging around near my office near the assets bureau commission. They pitched tents for a month or so. I also got a sense that organized crime figures weren’t far from the surface. I did not want to engage them in conversation nor did I envy the civil servants stuck inside.

The pension issue obviously attracts a wider crowd than the KMT bamboo gang but still I just don’t like them …entitled pricks most of them got WAY too much already.

Most of them are not entitled pricks, it is just that thsi issue is being manipulated by all sides. For example, the DPP and KMT’s proposal are identical except KMT wanted to keep the 18% for those who retired before Minguo 84… which makes them octogenarians. Problem is that now the KMT removed their proposal from the table, do not want to engage in dialogue and avoid responsibility. So basically, you have 3 basic plans on the table but very little dialogue.

The violent ones are not entitled, they are blind believers in their superiority and how the system works for them. those have murder in their eyes and blood on their hands. It goes beyond the 18%.

It has to do more with accountability. For too long, party and state were the same, and nwo teh cosneuqences are that teh coffers of the state are empty, and the ones of the party not here. That is one issue.

me thinsk that if we

The other and mroe opressing issue is that if Taiwan is moideling its pension systme after the Europeans, in one single coverage, there needs to be a better safety net built for all. That means a differenet kind of expenditure and hence the need to relocate those funds that now pay for the 18%, for example. As it was being discussed on the talk shows last night, the older geenratiion has more assets, more capital, more disposable funds than the younger generation… and that inequity
killing us. It means fair wages must be insured as well as effective taxing, among others. So thsi pension reform is actually talking about teh system we want for future Taiwan.

What this makes me mindful of…

I once watched an eighty-year-old inactive Marine slip and fall on a linoleum floor. As we helped him up, he looked at me and said somberly, “old age is for shit.” This guy I respected. But…

It’s reasonable to honor those who fight for the freedom of their country… if it’s freedom they fought for, and we can clearly define just what their country is. “One party, two systems” is less than an abstraction; it’s an obfuscation. If they were fighting for democracy, that’s one thing. If they fought and won, even better. But just what did this 18 percent crowd do to earn special treatment, exactly? What was the KMT all about in those days?

People who fight for the wrong cause are known as violent offenders, and are put in maximum security. You’re not a freedom fighter if you’re not fighting for the cause of freedom.

I’ll give them some credit for fighting against communism, because communism really, really sucks. But only so much credit, because what they fought for instead was… not all that different in practice.

There are riots in California over free speech… the rioters are agin it. They will doubtless call themselves heroes and demand government largesse. Actually, they’re already doing both these things but not in a connected way. Me, I call them overprivileged, brainwashed thugs with a raging Oedipus complex.

The current army helps a lot in times of trouble, as when typhoons strike. they are teh one sdoing the cleaning way after everyone forgets there was even some rain. The first responders on duty 24/7 for months on end in teh aftermath of 921. Those I respect.

But free cable? Two dorms assigned, all utilities paid? Problem is it is not the same for all. Meanwhile, many Civil War veterans linger in crumbling houses built on treacherous hillsides, no family, etc. because they followed the Great Leader.

Teachers get 18% because they were the party’s enforcers. That is why we have the rote system and blind teaching, as there couldn’t be any dissagreement. But the teachers were not teachers per se, they were not trained as such in the Mainland. So memorization it is.

However, msot importantly, that was a long time ago, and things change. Teachers nowadays must be open to new teaching, and teach contents they know with modern methods. But unless we cahnge teh structure as all, we cannot walk from the 14th into the 21st century.

From what I’ve seen, the teachers today use the same methods as the ones of old. Classes of bored students while the teacher drones on . Which explains why people are not willing to ever speak up.

Like the old joke about why everyone in the sane family cuts the ends of the meatloaf, people keep on with the methods imposed because that is how they were taught.

The first educators after the Japanese were not educators but keepers of the Faith. Also, unprepared and ignorant of their own subjects. Hence, rote learning. No questioning authority. To keep such style of teaching, is to keep the system. That is why the tests still rule. It is the only way to let the “right” ones in.

He said he also wanted to thank military personnel, teachers and civil servants, adding that they are the backbone of the nation’s stability and asked that they not be “stigmatized.”

Also, the prison authorities promise to have a chat with him about his parole conditions.

Because the party has yet to be officially established, expressing support for it does not violate the principle of executive neutrality that applies to civil servants such as himself, he said.

Gotta love loopholes! :smile:

The government’s best solution to improve the national economy is to cut down pensions?
God damn, Taiwan is hopeless.

Yeah what you know about it? List the top 5 economy boosting measures by the current government as you see it.

This is the kind of people that would elect Kuo Kuan-ying 郭冠英 as president. remember that guy? He was on the news recently too.
http://tw.forumosa.com/t/ethnic-prejudice-by-wsr-official/50241/21

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2017/05/11/2003670367

http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/focus/breakingnews/1951897

They always find a way to end up on top because they have too many friends at the top. And hereby lies the danger of these entitled people in getting to power…again.

Like that quote in the last episode of GOT about a commoner that tastes power…Like a lion that has tasted man’s meat, nothing ever tastes so sweet.

**[quote=“Mr.Lin, post:38, topic:157945, full:true”]
The government’s best solution to improve the national economy is to cut down pensions?
God damn, Taiwan is hopeless.
[/quote]

18% plus associated benefits are a burden that cannot be carried anymore.

Their pensions are not being cut. The cake is there, it is the overwhelmingly fattening glaze that they took away. Most severe cut is 20k. Which means at least they have 40k to live with after retirement. It si not that they are left homeless or anything. People with less than 30k as pension have no cuts.

Not sure if this is the right / latest thread… but any news on foreigners and pensions???

1 Like

I think this is the thread you’re looking for:

1 Like

The amendment also bans actions that “undermine national dignity,” including saluting the flag or symbols of the PRC, or singing the Chinese national anthem or songs representing the PRC.

If convicted, officials could be stripped of their pension and benefits, while those who chose a one-time pension payment upon retirement could be fined up to NT$10 million (US$318,847).

No Taiwanese generals attended the “13th Whampoa Forum” in China’s Jiangxi Province in June, the ministry added.

5 Likes

Lol…got those traitors by the balls now .

By the purse, which is more painful…and dangerous.

They like to complain and accuse the DPP of being corrupt and stealing money, while disregarding their traitorous actions as sell outs and paid advisors to the enemy.

Those same generals got big fat commissions/cuts from arms sales - Lafayette case, cough cough- got links with mafia selling contracts as Army suppliers to the highest bidder and getting special tv privileges in return among other perks. So pardon me if I do not regard this 18%ers with any pity of how will they manage to survive on a meager pension…as still hold houses in both China and Taiwan.

2 Likes

…and houses in US and Canada…I believe a lot of them moved overseas upon retirement.

Following their children. I do not trust people in charge of national security or matters of state whose children live abroad.

1 Like

Yeah their families have emigrated in advance in most cases.