Pensions for foreigners with APRC

Hey all, I was trying to find this information elsewhere and I don’t see it: I got an APRC and my coming job will be the first one I have with an APRC. My employer just made a contract that didn’t include labor insurance and pension and I asked if I was supposed to be included. The response was “I don’t know you’re not a resident of Taiwan and I think we still need to apply for a work permit for you”. * sigh *. I was pretty sure I don’t need a work permit now, but do I qualify for labor pension and insurance? The labor bureau website jumps around from foreign nationals married to Taiwanese and overseas Chinese. I can’t find an explicitly stated piece of information regarding work-based APRC holders. (yes I know the employer should be looking into this but also I want to make sure I know for myself just as much as I don’t want to do my employer’s work for them). Any help will be much appreciated! 謝謝!

6 Likes

APRC - Alien Permanent Resident Certificate
not a hard concept to understand for your employer

illegal

You can get open work permit to shut this down. It is quite painless if you are in Taipei. But can be done online now, I think.

3 Likes

I wish!

If updates, please let us know :blush:

I might have mixed up the online part with some other application. :grimacing:

1 Like

That’s understandable. Hopefully an online solution arises (which has been promised by the government, according to my local NIA official). I’m stuck in the same pickle when it comes to getting a open work permit. Any assistance is welcome!

Curious about open work permits. Different NIA offices, even different employees in the same office, tell me different things. You need it or you dont need it. Even til recently have been told both. A couple times they said open work permit will be phased out and aprc will just have open work permit rights by proxy, so no need to bother.

Do they have anything in writing about this? Seems pretty risky for some.

2 Likes

yes, you are entitled to pension and labor insurance. employer should contribute 6% of your salary, you can choose if you want to match another 6%.
get an open work permit yourself, that is another requirement.
source: my company started paying when i got aprc

note: the 6% is on top of your salary, they shouldnt deduct this from your pay, unless you choose to match.

7 Likes

As of last year, you still need both.
source : the payroll department in my company is pretty strict in following the rules. they checked and i needed to get an open work permit after i got the aprc.

1 Like

My company also told me to go get my work permit after I got the APRC.

麻煩

1 Like

First of all congratulations!
:sparkler: :partying_face: :tada:

Hey all, I was trying to find this information elsewhere and I don’t see it:

Some of this has been covered here, though the discussion is quite long (skip to post #112 for the big change).

1 Like

To be precise, ignoring laobao is usually but not quite 100% always illegal. If it’s a buxiban, you need to check whether it already exists as a laobao unit; if so, participation is compulsory for all employees, regardless of full-time/part-time status and regardless of residency status.

3 Likes

It’s an experimental school, which apparently is qualified as a “non educational” organization (非教育機構). I’m pretty sure that’s a separate category from cram school. Now I’m wondering what my last job’s business was categorized as…might be seeing them in court…

How do you do that?

Is it registered as a company instead of a buxiban? That would make it easy, as you would get the five-employees rule in addition to the already-registered-for-laobao rule. (Doesn’t work if it’s a buxiban that’s part of a company, though…)

See Art. 6:
https://laws.mol.gov.tw/FLAW/FLAWDAT0201.aspx?id=FL014980

1 Like

If any other employee has (or has had) laobao through the employer, that gives it away. If in doubt, ask the Bureau of Labor Insurance.

1 Like

You basically needed a work permit as APRC holders are not split up in marriage and work APRC’s. You can go from marriage based ARC (open work permit included) to APRC and suddenly need to apply for a separate open work permit. But it’s just bureaucracy. I have it tucked away somewhere, might have even lost it.

1 Like

So, cram schools are included in the pension scheme? I worked at a school for 10 years and they never deducted labour insurance.

I’ve had an APRC for over 5 years now and these people (cram school) were clueless about it.

Is there a “pension” department I can go to and have them look into it? I did go to the labour department a few years to look into the labour insurance part and they confirmed that my school had been paying nothing and this was “illegal” but they couldn’t do anything about it unless I filed a complaint.

2 Likes

Yes go to the local labor insurance office with your passport, ARC and contract