Pensions for permanent residents

You have not been duped. I also have recently found out that it does not include all APRC holders. Apparently the “foreign professionals” doesn’t include regular white collar office workers. My HR department has tried various different ways to include me to no avail. I also wanted to join the new program. I think it’s the same requirements for the foreign talent gold card.

ETA: I’ve worked for this company full time since July, 2010.

I think you should clarify this with the labor bureau or the employment bureau that issues work permits. I remember the HR had to verify what kind of profession my work permit was issued for, hence asking a formal list of it.

I work at a test prep center, therefore my job is a teacher and we’re techincally classified as a buxiban. Does that make me qualified or unqualified?

Out of curiosity, what is your work permit for? I’m in international sales and was denied.

and where can this formal list be found?

I was listed as an engineer.

Bureau of Employment and Vocational Training (BEVT) their office is in Ximending.

Yeah, I think that’s it. Engineers qualify.

you have a webpage that lists the professions that qualify? JHC, I can’t believe how scattered all this info is… BLI, WDA, BEVT, who the f&^% do you contact to sort this all out?

I had one. Looking for it meow…

ETA: Found it:
https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/Content_List.aspx?n=3840722B002ADEAB

1 Like

Got it… perhaps then my company is getting around it because I am not full time. how many hours a week/month/whatever at a buxiban constitutes full time?

From the link I sent, you can click on each of the professions and it will give you the requirements/qualifications. Here is a link to the “Full-Time Foreign Teacher in Cram School” section.

1. Their weekly working hours in teaching-related work shall be no less than 14 (fourteen) hours. When the foreigner is hired by 2 (two) and more employers, their weekly working hours in teaching-related work for each of the employers shall not be less than 6 (six) hours. Their total weekly working hours in teaching-related work shall not exceed 32 (thirty-two) hours.

The 6% contributed by the company does not come out of your salary?

Of course not. But, you can opt to also contribute up to an additional 6%. This will come out of your salary, pre-taxed.

I feel like a lot of companies don’t want to pay that lol

They’ve already been doing it for several years for their local employees. The good thing about this program is it is better for the employee. If you change jobs, the accumulated contributions are still there. With the old program, your pension is only calculated when you retire. Therefore, if you leave the company before you qualify for retirement, you get nothing.

As I’ve already been with the company for almost 9 years and since I’m stuck on the old program, I’ll just ride it out.

1 Like

Is that the case? Nothing?

Non-licensed foreign teacher with APRC at private elementary school. (Working a full-time salaried position teaching all subjects in English)

Do I qualify for ANY form of pension? It is all very, very confusing. HR says no.

That’s my understanding of the old program. If you leave before the 15 years/qualifying age, they don’t calculate a prorated/portion of the pension amount.

The clearest list I’ve seen is the EZ work link I posted above.

ETA: I believe this is the section which would concern you since you are not a cram school teacher:

https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=9B83C0A4884ACD8F