Pentagon Confirms It Sought To Build A 'Gay Bomb'

Too weird to make up.

[quote]Pentagon Confirms It Sought To Build A ‘Gay Bomb’
Hank Plante, Jun 8, 2007 9:03 pm US/Pacific

(CBS 5) BERKELEY A Berkeley watchdog organization that tracks military spending said it uncovered a strange U.S. military proposal to create a hormone bomb that could purportedly turn enemy soldiers into homosexuals and make them more interested in sex than fighting.

Pentagon officials on Friday confirmed to CBS 5 that military leaders had considered, and then subsquently rejected, building the so-called “Gay Bomb.”

Edward Hammond, of Berkeley’s Sunshine Project, had used the Freedom of Information Act to obtain a copy of the proposal from the Air Force’s Wright Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio.

As part of a military effort to develop non-lethal weapons, the proposal suggested, “One distasteful but completely non-lethal example would be strong aphrodisiacs, especially if the chemical also caused homosexual behavior.”

The documents show the Air Force lab asked for $7.5 million to develop such a chemical weapon.

“The Ohio Air Force lab proposed that a bomb be developed that contained a chemical that would cause enemy soliders to become gay, and to have their units break down because all their soldiers became irresistably attractive to one another,” Hammond said after reviwing the documents.

“The notion was that a chemical that would probably be pleasant in the human body in low quantities could be identified, and by virtue of either breathing or having their skin exposed to this chemical, the notion was that soliders would become gay,” explained Hammond.

The Pentagon told CBS 5 that the proposal was made by the Air Force in 1994.

“The Department of Defense is committed to identifying, researching and developing non-lethal weapons that will support our men and women in uniform,” said a DOD spokesperson, who indicated that the “gay bomb” idea was quickly dismissed.

However, Hammond said the government records he obtained suggest the military gave the plan much stronger consideration than it has acknowledged.

“The truth of the matter is it would have never come to my attention if it was dismissed at the time it was proposed,” he said. “In fact, the Pentagon has used it repeatedly and subsequently in an effort to promote non-lethal weapons, and in fact they submitted it to the highest scientific review body in the country for them to consider.”

Military officials insisted Friday to CBS 5 that they are not currently working on any such idea and that the past plan was abandoned.

Gay community leaders in California said Friday that they found the notion of a “gay bomb” both offensive and almost laughable at the same time.

“Throughout history we have had so many brave men and women who are gay and lesbian serving the military with distinction,” said Geoff Kors of Equality California. “So, it’s just offensive that they think by turning people gay that the other military would be incapable of doing their job. And its absurd because there’s so much medical data that shows that sexual orientation is immutable and cannot be changed.”
cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_159222541.html[/quote]

Well…not quite the story the headline suggests. But pretty funny, IMO.

Make them more interested in sex than fighting. Surely that’s a good thing. If gay people are more interested in sex than straight people, then I’m changing teams. It’s about time I had sex with someone other than myself. :smiley:

TC - where do you find these things? You always seem to come up with weird and wonderful news stories. Good work, keep it up.

Its a gift.
Funnily enough, this link was emailed to me by a USMC Lt. Col buddy of mine. He included several references(read jokes) about the fact that this was proposed by the US Air Force…:smiley:

On a related note, many senior Air Force officials have suddenly shown a previously unobserved since of fashion, which has included a lot of “accessorizing” and adding color to their previously drab blue uniforms…

:roflmao: :roflmao: …good one!

Ah, but did they have a “black bomb” to turn enemy troops black so that they would lose interest in war because they were too interested in fried chicken, watermelon and dancing?

That’s hilarious.

Make Love not War. :rainbow: :hubba:

You hit the nail on the head, of course. :notworthy:

You hit the nail on the head, of course. :notworthy:[/quote]
I thought that was MTV’s job?

I find it funny that the indignation at the end of the article was put forth so articulately. I could have said that in 5 words:
“What a fucking stupid idea.”

Poagao’s snark hits the main question. Battlefield soldiers are expected to kill people and blow shit up, and possibly bleed and die in the process, because the geographical region where their parents had sex and in which they were born, is far superior to the geographical region where the enemy’s parents had sex and in which the enemy was born. I don’t see how gay people are any less likely to be indoctrinated into thinking that this is a great idea.

You want a bomb that will make enemy troops less likely to fight? How about a bomb that exponentially increases their skepticism and critical thinking skills?

Geesh…how about understanding that everybody at the table responded with the comment suggested by SAF…“Dude…thats a really stupid fucking idea. Now go make some coffee and hope some anti-military left wing asshat doesn’t do a FOIA request 10 years from now and find out about your stupid fucking idea!”

I thinks that a more than likely scenario of what transpired in that room at that time.

[quote=“Poagao”]Ah, but did they have a “black bomb” to turn enemy troops black so that they would lose interest in war because they were too interested in fried chicken, watermelon and dancing?[/quote] Huh? I don’t get that one.

Maybe I should have said “Did they have a ‘(insert minority here) bomb’ to turn enemy troops (insert minority here) so that they would lose interest in war because they were too interested in (insert stupid stereotypes of said minority here)?”

He’s pointing out that the idea that turning men gay would make them too interested in sex (a typical stereotype) instead of fighting the war is as utterly ridiculous as the idea that a “black bomb” which turned enemy troops black would make them lose interest in war because they were too interested in fried chicken, watermelon and dancing (also typical old stereotypes).

I’m not sure, but I believe he was saying it’s a stupid idea based on idiotic stereotypes – namely that homosexuals are promiscuous. I agree that’s a stupid stereotype. And of course the military idea was idiotic.

And I don’t know why people started referring to it as a “gay bomb.” Seems to me if they contaminated people with massive amounts of hormones or pheromones or whatever, to make them horny, many would turn to gay sex, others would turn to hetero sex. Seems more logical to call it a “horny bomb” or a “sex bomb” or something like that.

But perhaps they felt it would be a “gay bomb” because it would be unleashed on military forces who, as I understand it, are overwhelmingly male, so if all the people in the military wanted to start fucking each other, maybe 5% would find an available female and engage in hetero sex, but 95% of the victims would be male and only have males in the immediate vicinity, so if they were struck with a total irresistable impulse to fuck another person they would naturally have to do it with other men.

But, I can see why – even if that much is true so far – it might also be inaccurate to refer to it as a gay bomb because the men wouldn’t be fucking each other based on sexual preference but because they were contaminated with massive doses of chemicals that caused an irresistable impulse to copulate with anyone in the vicinity and it just so happened that those others were men. They’re not really gay – they’re just having same sex due to the effects of the bomb.

But that’s just my theory. Poagao may of course explain for himself.

Edit: he already did. Incidentally, I still find it funny, because it’s so idiotic.

There. Three explanations oughta suffice. :laughing:

Move along…nothing to see here.

What about a ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb, which turns everyone into embarrassed virgins? You see, I figure few would be willing to die a virgin, so all scrapping might cease. It’s the peace camp’s best hope.

HG