People asking you to be on commercials?

I’m new to taiwan and studying mandarin at shida. Going to school today 2 random people came up an asked if i wonted to be in a commerical. The conversation didn’t go far tho when they found out I had no ARC. Is this legit? it’s happened 3 times so far in the last week an I’m curious why they are coming to me. Has this happened to anyone else?

Not to me but to my son who’s less than a year old.

What was the commercial about?

Not having an ARC does not mean you can’t work in commercials. The agency that represents my acting career is always getting students work permits for legitimate gigs. That these street recruiters are worried that you don’t have one is both a good sign and a red flag, imo. It’s a good sign that they aren’t sending people out to sets without work permits, but raises the question as to whether they really know what they are doing in that they don’t know that students are able to legally obtain said permits. In fact, students are the ideal models in that they are usually more readily available to work the odd hours this business can demand.

When considering this kind of work, you should have a reputable agent to not only protect your residency, but to ensure that your image doesn’t get splashed all over Asia in all forms of copy and paste advertisements without proper compensation.

My agent is, in my professional opinion, the only trustworthy representative in the business of hooking up westerners with acting gigs. There have been a number of commercials that their rostered talent have appeared in that show up on TV and billboards in China, Singapore and other countries that less than scrupulous producers have attempted to scam their way out of paying the talent their residuals. My guy has managed to recoup compensation for each and every case. Likewise in cases where the producers have only paid for a year and have tried to then run the ad for longer periods of time. Again, my agent has recovered payment.

I’ve also met plenty of folks on sets that are represented by some of the other agencies and have been completely shocked at how little they’ve made. It seems pretty obvious that some of these operators are taking more than their fair share.

Do yourself a huge favour and contact me first if you want to break into this business. I stand behind my agency completely. They don’t mince about with your career. Everything is above board. I’ve been a professional actor for more than 30 years and can unequivocally state that you can trust my guy. I do. Implicitly!

Feel free to call me anytime if you would like me to fill you in on how to get started in the biz. I know that there is a huge demand for middle aged to senior men and women as well as for kids of all ages (3 months and older) with one or both parents of western genetics. PM me with your phone number and a good time to call. I’m happy to answer all your questions and set you up with an introduction interview and photo shoot.

Break a leg.

[quote=“Toe Save”]Not having an ARC does not mean you can’t work in commercials. The agency that represents my acting career is always getting students work permits for legitimate gigs. That these street recruiters are worried that you don’t have one is both a good sign and a red flag, imo. It’s a good sign that they aren’t sending people out to sets without work permits, but raises the question as to whether they really know what they are doing in that they don’t know that students are able to legally obtain said permits. In fact, students are the ideal models in that they are usually more readily available to work the odd hours this business can demand.

When considering this kind of work, you should have a reputable agent to not only protect your residency, but to ensure that your image doesn’t get splashed all over Asia in all forms of copy and paste advertisements without proper compensation.

My agent is, in my professional opinion, the only trustworthy representative in the business of hooking up westerners with acting gigs. There have been a number of commercials that their rostered talent have appeared in that show up on TV and billboards in China, Singapore and other countries that less than scrupulous producers have attempted to scam their way out of paying the talent their residuals. My guy has managed to recoup compensation for each and every case. Likewise in cases where the producers have only paid for a year and have tried to then run the ad for longer periods of time. Again, my agent has recovered payment.

I’ve also met plenty of folks on sets that are represented by some of the other agencies and have been completely shocked at how little they’ve made. It seems pretty obvious that some of these operators are taking more than their fair share.

Do yourself a huge favour and contact me first if you want to break into this business. I stand behind my agency completely. They don’t mince about with your career. Everything is above board. I’ve been a professional actor for more than 30 years and can unequivocally state that you can trust my guy. I do. Implicitly!

Feel free to call me anytime if you would like me to fill you in on how to get started in the biz. I know that there is a huge demand for middle aged to senior men and women as well as for kids of all ages (3 months and older) with one or both parents of western genetics. PM me with your phone number and a good time to call. I’m happy to answer all your questions and set you up with an introduction interview and photo shoot.

Break a leg.[/quote]

congratz on your acting, I don’t want to act I was just curious why these people keep coming up to me lol. Thank you for the info/advice.

Just take the job already. I hate people who say “I don’t want to …” when they have the opportunity to do something novel in a new country and culture. .
Just make sure you are legal and go for it…

The job pays well and it won’t take too long. Of course you will end up being silly… but it’s all in good fun. Sent it back to your friends…

I never considered this, I always thought this is a white only club because they never ask me to be on commercials since I look too Asian.

What was the commercial about?[/quote]
Anything you can imagine. Milk, insurance, baby clothes, you name it. If the offers are still around when he’s older I’ll encourage it. But now that he’s less than a year old I doubt that he’ll have a great experience and we don’t need the cash.

[quote=“shiren”]
I don’t want to act I was just curious why these people keep coming up to me lol. Thank you for the info/advice.[/quote]

Are you so handsome? That’s the short answer. The long answer is that it is a cutthroat business and my agent is at the top of the game. So the others are sending out street recruiters to try and gain an advantage. But, again, in my professional opinion, their advantage is your disadvantage.

I’ve worked with people from every corner of the globe. Especially in background roles. If you would like some occasional work that pays quite well, I’ll help you get your portfolio together and out to casting directors. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, dbd?

What was the commercial about?[/quote]
Anything you can imagine. Milk, insurance, baby clothes, you name it. If the offers are still around when he’s older I’ll encourage it. But now that he’s less than a year old I doubt that he’ll have a great experience and we don’t need the cash.[/quote]

While Eddie G is not ready to send his pride and joy out yet, there is a strong message to other parents in his post. There is a lot of work for kids and if you want to have your bundle start earning their milk, I’d be happy to steer you in the right direction.

So how does the whole commercial thing work? I don’t think I am “handsome” and I am not even sure how I am defined. I wouldn’t mind doing it if offered the opportunity though.

[quote=“Toe Save”]

Feel free to call me anytime if you would like me to fill you in on how to get started in the biz. I know that there is a huge demand for middle aged to senior men and women as well as for kids of all ages (3 months and older) with one or both parents of western genetics. [color=#FF0000]PM me with your phone number and a good time to call. [/color]I’m happy to answer all your questions and set you up with an introduction interview and photo shoot.

Break a leg.[/quote]

Do you think Taiwanese can actually gauge how handsome a westerner is? I don’t think so. Because they don’t see white people that often they can’t gauge differences between them.

I think it’s because your ass is shooting out rainbows. :laughing:

Oh please. They know exactly where in the barrel a foreigner stands.

You ever see Sandman on TV? :laughing:

Yeah, there are plenty of Asian looking people in Taiwan. There are also a lot of professional models as well but they are usually young and here on short term. Everything else they can fill with a simple walk through the Shida area or combing the buxiban set.