People in Taiwan

I think majority of people in Taiwan are really unpleasant…they are rude, cheat and lie, and are very money/image oriented…this is my general impression…there are pockets of nice people among them though…

Culture Shock phase 2, the hatred phase (comes after the glorification)?

I think I saw some people outside once when I accidentally looked through the window.

I see a gray factory wall with wall fungus. Most of my experiences in Taiwan are somehow related to fungal colonies or bacterias.

I never go out. Too dangerous.

Bob L. Osttablets

Being here for 7 months now and starting to understand a tiny bit of the Taiwanese…

Rude? depends of the situation. Elevators and traffic are bad. The rest is more than OK. After bashing the nearby home 7-11 staff worker, he becam extremely polite.
Nice? Treat others as you want to be treated yourself. I shout, they shout. I laugh, they laugh…

I call them copy-cat people without own identity.
Though they are called more “sophisticated” than before (AC Nielsen) I do think they are a rare species not comparable with other Asians.

I will do my time, but pretending that I will start to love it here resulting in a loooooong stay, NAh…do not think so.

CeeVee…, without identity?

Well, I think many are less individualistic and more homogenous than many westerners. Havin more emphasis on family and not so much on their own lifes.

Or do you refer to “they reproduce your action as a reaction”? Kinda shouting back. Because that is quite normal everywhere. Not on Vulcan, however.

[quote=“bob_honest”]CeeVee…, without identity?

Well, I think many are less individualistic and more homogenous than many westerners. Havin more emphasis on family and not so much on their own lifes.

Or do you refer to “they reproduce your action as a reaction”? Kinda shouting back. Because that is quite normal everywhere. Not on Vulcan, however.[/quote]

I see it more as “as long I am member of the crowd still being spotted, and do not pul out my neck too much, I will not loose face if I say or do something wrong”
What you refer to homogenous indeed. Strong leaders with a sence of strong identity are not easy to find. Group visions is more important.
They are less “direct oriented” than …euh us…
Just a fact, might not be wrong in some cases, but is perceived as difference…

I find the people of Taiwan to be reasonably nice, surprisingly careless drivers, terribly helpful, and for the most part, unintentionally rude.

I fear how they find me to be.[/quote]

:bravo:
perfect reply

[quote=“ceevee369”][quote=“bob_honest”]CeeVee…, without identity?

Or do you refer to “they reproduce your action as a reaction”? Kinda shouting back. Because that is quite normal everywhere. Not on Vulcan, however.[/quote]

I see it more as “as long I am member of the crowd still being spotted, and do not pul out my neck too much, I will not loose face if I say or do something wrong”
What you refer to homogenous indeed. Strong leaders with a sence of strong identity are not easy to find. Group visions is more important.
They are less “direct oriented” than …euh us…
Just a fact, might not be wrong in some cases, but is perceived as difference…[/quote]

Yes that is my impression too. OK, the PC police could be rushing into here soon. But I really have the feeling people try to be “good boys” from the very beginning and “think differently” is not really encouraged here. Probably starts when kids are not aloud to go out on the streets alone before 12 years of age.

If I compare kids in my family back home in Germany and here in Taiwan (say at 10 years of age), the Germans are the loud and unruly kids, the Taiwanese are obient ones. Grandma’s shoe stick may be connected to that as well.

In school at home, teachers encourage a medium amount of rebellion leading to unusual thoughts, I doubt they are doing that here…

THIS is not Taiwan bashing, just observing a difference…

Yes, money-oriented, but you can haggle with them. Haggling/dickering/negotiating is not common practice where I am (Korea). Or it’s harder to do when you’re in a hurry.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]
No, really. I find the people in Taiwan to be:… (drumroll please) TOO MANY![/quote]

We need some sort of people rake to spread them out a bit. They are just all clumped together.

Oh, and Jdsmith, your post is spot on. They are just a bit careles and otherwise really do care for the most part.

jdsmith,

If there was a nail, and it had a head, you just hit it.

I’m not very articulate today but I liked your post.

Oh shut up.

I find negotiating to be harder and harder in Taiwan…most sellers when you try to negotiate a lower price just tell you to go away…I did not find this attiude in Hong Kong though…it still appears that bargaining is still alive and well there…

I find negotiating to be harder and harder in Taiwan…most sellers when you try to negotiate a lower price just tell you to go away…I did not find this attiude in Hong Kong though…it still appears that bargaining is still alive and well there…[/quote]

“Well, there selling it for 12,000 over there! Come on, come on, come on, come on…”

Guess it depends though. Maybe the same back home. Cash talks.

I used to go to a bar in Hualian and play “Big Two”. I talked them down to 100 NT from 200 for Tsintao. I used to go to a bunch of shops when buying clothes and go to one charging more and get it for less. Bunch of things. Maybe a hobby of mine.

I find the people of Taiwan to be reasonably nice, surprisingly careless drivers, terribly helpful, and for the most part, unintentionally rude.

I fear how they find me to be.[/quote]

Very well put, jd.

When I describe the Taiwanese to friends back home I say they are quite friendly, but difficult to work for. I make sure to add that they are like that with each other as well, not only with foreigners. IMHO.