Perfect Time to Declare Independence?

Changing flags and changing names Is what Beijing wants. Infighting rather than solidarity, which they can manipulate

1 Like

There a millions of people here who feel an emotional attachment to Chinese culture, the ROC, Chiang Ching Kuo and the flag but still hate the CCP. A lot of these people have money and connections.

This isn’t the time for starting a civil war with these people. Just wait for them to die

5 Likes

I agree with Andrew. If keeping ROC means maintaining the current constitution, it will mean retaining claims to China, and vise versa maintains China’s claim on Taiwan as a part of China.

It is counter productive to keeping Taiwan independent and should only be maintained to placate Taiwan’s allies, such as the US and Japan, when they don’t yet want a confrontation with China.

4 Likes

Tsai has spent the last four years convincing the US that she isn’t another Chen Shui Bian. They have made it quite clear that they won’t support anyone who actively causes trouble.

In a perfect world Taiwan could claim independence, but we are in an information war with Beijing and they have infiltrated this place. Half the media, half the politicians , nearly all the temples, businesses, restaurants etc are in the pocket of the CCP. We nearly had a Manchurian candidate politician win an election and managed to control the population in the most part on emotional identity issues.

Referendum are fucking shit shows most of the time (see Brexit ) and especially at war time when they are targets for manipulation.

This stuff should wait

3 Likes

Wu Sze Huai is sitting in the legislature with access to confidential documents and spying for the CCP.

Stuff needs to be done about this shit before changing names and flags

1 Like

Independence from what? Taiwan already is independent.

Now, changing the name to Republic of Taiwan, dropping all ROC and 中華民國 and changing the flag, sure. But the DPP is too scared to do it now.

2 Likes

We need a real candidate to inspire the people and lead. Tsai is only good because she isn’t KMT.

1 Like

They can’t do it without a real threat of war.
It will also cause more division in Taiwan.
Better to do it slowly just like the Chinese do.
It’s more important for Taiwan ROC to project itself forcefully out into the world.
Does a foreigner care if it’s called Taiwan ROC or Taiwan…No.
First they need to learn more about Taiwan …Also Taiwan needs to be stronger economically and military.

In the end of the day, if the US doesn’t have Taiwan’s back we are finished. We need to sign an FTA with the US first.

5 Likes

I get where you’re coming from, really. She’s not a great orator and a little dull . Her cabinet has too many older officials from previous governments.

But Tsai did impress me in her recent interviews. And there has been some concrete progress under her administration . She’s ensured we are investing in defence programs to defend ourselves . Kept the US inside. Dealt with some serious economic challenges and bringing in surpluses… A steady hand on the tiller.

2 Likes

Why Republic? Why not just “Taiwan”?

1 Like

Change the Constitution is pretty much going to kick off a war. It’s pointless, leave the Constitution but choose the parts you want to emphasize.

3 Likes

I don’t agree with that statement. Tsai isn’t an inspirational speaker, but very few politicians are in Taiwan. Even those immensely popular politicians, such as CSB, MYJ, and Korean Fish are mediocre when it comes to delivering a succinct, meaningful and rousing speech.

What Tsai is though, is one of the world’s best technocrat and most skilled negotiator. One with a clear outlook for the future, while keeping a finger on the pulse of international diplomacy.

Tsai’s government and legislature has continued to strengthen Taiwan’s internal social integrity and keep out Chinese influences.

There are some systematic issues with Taiwan that the DPP legislature failed to follow through in her first term, most importantly land ownership reforms, however, I hope she can get it done in her second term. Hopefully she can also reform the election system to implement ranked voting as well.

4 Likes

Tsai is good because she is moderate

The biggest issue right now is that the CCP has brainwashed and weaponized a large chunk of the population (Han Fen) through line groups, China Television and whatever. Even though Han lost , those people are a ticking time bomb and the controls are still there. Something needs to be done about this and politicians need to tread very carefully

2 Likes

I have noticed that airlines (i.e. Air France) that went with the entire “Taipei, Taiwan, China” thing a few years back and are currently suspending all flights to and from China continue to fly into Taipei.

And?

Declare statehood and wait who will agree with it and except it.

where are Kinmen and Mazu? Or do the two outlying islands that China dropped bombs on forever in an attempt to get them back mean nothing to you?

I plan on giving Air Canada a good talking to about their Taipei, China B.S. If you’re gunna call it “Taipei, China” to get the mainland money, you’re gunna cancel flights and loose money on cancelled flights to “Taipei, China” when you cancel all flights to China. You don’t get to change the political status based on your own economic interests!

1 Like

Not millions. Not anymore…

I’ve tried. Several times.