Permanent Alien Residence Certificates

I got my PARC a few months ago, since I had a valid ARC for seven consecutive years without a single day without ARC. If only one day was missing I had to restart the seven years…

However today I saw on the MOI website (www.moi.gov.tw) that there are three ways to count:

1… 7 years with ARC (not a day without!)
2… Married and been here for 5 years
3… Been here 8 years during the past 15 years

Since I have been here legally 11 years (1992/93/94 and 1996-2003) I was here only 175 days in 1995 due too much business travel that year.

So if I leave Taiwan for a year or two, normally my PARC would expire since I’m not here for 183 days a year. But according to the 15year/8 year rule could I reapply? Or does this law in fact state that I need to have been here legally more than 15 years and 8 of those years should be more than 183 days?

See link:
npa.gov.tw/fore-eng/q_3.htm#q5

Ironlady mentioned to you before that you can apply for leave from the 183 day rule in special circumstances. It seems that if you can give a good reason why you need to be out of Taiwan for a while then the administration may be flexible. Researching that would seem like a logical first step to me.

[quote=“PeiAn”]I got my PARC a few months ago, since I had a valid ARC for seven consecutive years without a single day without ARC. If only one day was missing I had to restart the seven years…

… 7 years with ARC (not a day without!) [/quote]
This is incorrect. The law clearly says “183 days per year.”

In 1996 December 27th my ARC expired, since I didn’t change job my company extended my ARC. However it was very unclear if the extention was done on the 27th or the 29th of December the same year.
The police said it was 29th and thus I was two days without a valid ARC. Thus my seven years should start to count from December 29th 1996, and my 7 years should be counted until December 29th 2003.

However I left my last job September 30th 2003 and my ARC was cancelled before I found a new job.

The police first refused to give me my PARC due to those two days in 1996. However after we saw the extention papers I signed in 1996 the 29th could as well been 27th and they were really nice and let me go…

So I’m very sure that if you don’t have SEVEN years with a valid ARC AND atleast 183 days a year in the country then you cannot get the PARC.

So be very careful if you switch from one job to another, never let a single day go without a valid ARC or your seven years are reset.

[quote=“PeiAn”]

1… 7 years with ARC (not a day without!)
2… Married and been here for 5 years
3… Been here 8 years during the past 15 years

See link:
npa.gov.tw/fore-eng/q_3.htm#q5[/quote]

Please read the link text more carefully…the criteria you outline above do not appear to be correct as I read the NPA text.

[quote=“The NPA Web site”]"General aliens
Legal and continuous residency in Taiwan for seven years, no fewer than 270 days each year

Alien spouses of ROC nationals
One of the followings:

1.  Legal and continuous residency in the ROC for five years, no fewer than 183 days each year 

2.  Legal residency in the ROC for fifteen years, and no fewer than 183 days each year for eight years. [/quote] 

FWIW.

Thanks Terry,

Seems that the information on the MOIS website was not very clear (or I didn’t quite understand it…).

Your reply is very clear. The 15/8 year rule seems to only apply to people married here (which I’m not).
So if I leave here more than 183 days in a year (unless I get a permission) I will have to spend another 7 years with valid ARC to reapply for a PARC…

The PARC is not only hard to get, it’s also easy to loose… so if I get a job overseas I better decline it… :cry: or try to become citizen and have all the privelegies of the locals…

Why? Its already been explained to you that all you need to do is apply for a special dispensation, which is designed to cover exactly that scenario.

You can get a dispensation for maximum two years, under special circumstances.

Best way would be to accept an overseas offer in July (after you complete 183 days in the year, come back in May-June and stay 183 days that year as well, you could save some valuable time there.

I will do some more research into the conditions that apply for these “leaves”, like can you do this several times or you get one leave in a life time? I’m sure that the government are not going to make it easy for anyone asking for a leave.

Anyhow that is a just a temporary solution for a short time. I need to get a citizenship to vote, buy land, get a VISA card, etc.

You can buy land as a foreigner. Anyone who says otherwise is uninformed about the provisions of the Land Law.

What’s so great about a PARC anyway? I think I get mine based on marriage in a year or so as I have had a Marriage based ARC for about 3 or 4 years now. I might be able to get one anywhay since I have been here continuously for 8 years, although a large part of that time I didn’t have an ARC only a Visa I kept extending, so that eliminates that time right? Anyway, why would I want a PARC?

The purpose of use of the land is restricted to a few categories, though, isn’t it?

Yes. Foreigners still cannot buy “Lin Di”, forestry land. Why would we want to? because any house built on it, which didn’t have a building licence, would require you to buy the land it sits on in order to own. I did this, and have to own the house via a company. A real pain in the butt.