Permanent citizenship: duration, requirements

1. On which grounds can one apply for permanent citizenship in Taiwan?

2. Having an ARC (on grounds of marriage to a Taiwanese citizen) - after how many years can one apply for permanent citizenship?

3. Are there other requirements apart from being married for x years, e.g. financial status, assets, language proficiency, etc?

All advice appreciated.

Sincerely,

JR

basically its 5 years if married, 7 years if not; proof of funds (NT$ 3m if married, NT$ 5m if not - just borrow the money, out it in your bank for 3 days, and you get the necessary certificate). Any crap about having special skills is just that - crap. They just want to see the colour of your money, even if it is borrowed. Then you have to get a police certificate from your original country, one from taiwan.

Oh yes, and you have the minor inconvenience of having to renounce your own citizenship. this means you cannot go overseas for the period you are stateless - I was 8 months in this limbo - and then you have the option of being “grounded” for a further 12 months if you want to get an ID - which you’ll need if you want to go to HK, china or Macau. Cos you can’t go there on your passport.

So waht you actually get is 1. natiaonlity first (in reality its overseas chinese status - i.e. you have a passport), and 2. citizenship only when you get your ID. :wink:

If you do that can you slyly pick it up later claiming you were drunk and retain your ROC docs?

Otherwise, not a farkin option. For one I work in HK . . . two, taking the ex around Asia and to Europe shows just what a pain in the arse a ROC passport is. Visas for bloody everywhere.

HG

If you do that can you slyly pick it up later claiming you were drunk and retain your ROC docs?

Otherwise, not a farkin option. For one I work in HK . . . two, taking the ex around Asia and to Europe shows just what a pain in the arse a ROC passport is. Visas for bloody everywhere.

HG[/quote]

Yes some can reclaim their origianl nationalities. Aussies, Brits, NZ & Canadian citzens can. US ez nationals cannot. Minor inconveniences aside… there are real benefits later on. You just have to decide if the benefits outweigh the processes. My processing took a long time due to some extra issues that needed to be sorted out. But as Cooling Tower says, once you pick up your ID card the past troubles to get it all seems worthwhile.

I’d like to hear from some others regarding the money qualifier … cause even though it’s listed on the application form, I’m about to pick up my APRC tomorrow and they never said a word about it. All I had to show were my tax receipts and work certificates for the past 3 years.

Probably a case of who and where you process it.

The original poster seems to be confusing two items:

1. Permanent residence
  2. Citizenship

What is an EZ national?