Personal Bank Loans

I don’t know if this is the appropriate forum for this. But, I could see nowhere else that it seemed to fit.

Is it possible for a foreigner (with a valid ARC) to get a personal loan from a bank? If so, what are the general requirements to make one eligible for such a loan. Also, what would happen if I leave Taiwan before the loan is paid off. (NO, I’m not planning on skipping out on the loan. I just don’t know how long I’ll be here and don’t want to be tied down.)

I understand from a student, who works for a bank, that the interest rates are really low here right now – under 5%. I’m currently sending money back to the States to pay off some credit cards. But, if I could get a loan here with which to pay them off, especially one with a really low rate (lower than my cards), I just might do it. Besides, it would save me from having to deal with the fluctuating exchange rates and wire transfer fees both here and in the US.

Any and all relevant information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Do a search for the word “guarantor”. An ARC means very little any more, 9 times out of 10 you will need a Taiwanese person to act as guarantor.