Personal experiences in the testing/reporting/quarantine process

Why even bother doing a PCR test? Just stay home and recover in peace. I’m not understanding this willingness to torture oneself.

13 Likes

The school told me by law we are required to do that. Maybe I was too dizzy because I have Covid myself and just complied. Big mistake perhaps.

That begs the second question…
Why does the school know? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Didn’t the ntpc mayor say he wants to end this requirement?

My kids go here to school I had to inform that my kids will not go to school because I got Covid. Also wanted to know what are the rules for them to be able to go back to school, how many days they have to stay home and so on…

It should be seven days at home, if I remember correctly.

And for any family contacts, if they are still negative and are boosted (i.e. three shots), then starting today such family contacts do not need to isolate anymore (but still no in person visits to schools allowed). I am not sure if this would apply to your family, but if it does, here are some details from today’s Taipei Times:

In any case, please take care. I hope your family will be OK.

Guy

5 Likes

I didn’t even know it could get worse from @The_Ghost’s harrowing tale.

4 Likes

If the plan is to spread the virus rapidly across the population to achieve herd immunity then this is working beautifully.

2 Likes

Also, forcing people who have tested positive at home to go to a hospital (albeit probably the hospital carpark) is brilliant if the objective is to get the virus among the immunocompromised.

3 Likes

I know you have cancer and you are 85 but you need to line up like everyone else. No, we can’t do it inside. 7 11 sells umbrellas, so convenient.

5 Likes

Well done.

This whole thing is particularly unpleasant for kids and I’m saddened that they have to get their noses probed at all. It has absolutely no clinical purpose. Parents/adults do need to speak up when kids are being hurt and screamed at. Or indeed when adults are being hurt and screamed at. If nobody speaks up, the authorities will come to believe that neither the Law, nor science, nor common human decency need be considered in their prescriptions.

I have little sympathy for the “frontliners”. They’ve chosen to be there. They don’t have to do what they’re doing - on some level, they must believe that they’re doing The Right Thing. In contrast, many, many doctors and medical professionals stayed true to their Oath and resigned when this sort of thing went down elsewhere. That’s one hell of a sacrifice to make; they’ll get no reward for it.

I just went through a similar experience myself. After some to-ing and fro-ing, they allowed me to take a throat swab, which is considerably less unpleasant (and I recall another poster suggesting that it’s more reliable in the case of omicron, anyway). Religious rites duly observed and the god of COVID thus pacified, everyone was happy.

2 Likes

29 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

This got me thinking. How to handle these rough situations? Support your kids unconditionally. But also think of ways to de-escalate conflict. Throw in some pai sei 's. Tell them you want to help, let’s work together. I know this is not always possible, and sometimes I’ve done the kick-random-object move too. But I think, in Taiwan, that move rarely works well.

My :2cents: .

Guy

2 Likes

It was not the first thing I did. First I talked and told them their are kids, but that girl… she just couldn’t calm down. So…
But I am happy the doctor saw everything and came to help.
Yesterday night we got the SMS, both kids positive. I was afraid the spitting test may not detect covid so well, but it does. So… Why not always spitting test for kids? Much less intrusive.

Thanks for your comment.

5 Likes

Yes that was good. The good doctors here are amazing, dealing with chaos and crowding that would drive me completely crazy, while still remaining calm, as I think this doctor did.

I am sorry about the positive diagnoses. I really hope your kids and everyone around you will be OK.

Guy

3 Likes

What medicine did they give them? Just normal fever reducing/cough medicine?

They actually didn’t give us any medicine because they did the PCR in those modules at the parking lot. So… I have given them a reduced dose of the medicine I got from the hospital. They did give me some medicine just before doing the PCR. I did it at the hospital some days before.
There are some ways to get medicine for them but until yesterday night it was no possible to get the medicine without bringing them to the hospital.
They are not vaccinated. They had just a little bit fever the first and second day. Then almost 100% back to normal.

2 Likes

The younger kids seem to get off much easier than the older kids, yet it’s the younger kids’ parents that are going overboard.

1 Like

Some are, some are not. My friends 8 year old is very very sick for the third day. Close to 40 degree fever as soon as medication gives up. Not life threatening but really no joke. Yes we will all get it but I think it will take some more time for parents to accept this. Overall I am surprised how fast and well Taiwan has accepted the fact that we will all eventually get covid (or almost all).

I just wished they would stop the idiocy of quarantine at the border. Pointless waste of resources. (including even testing is pointless, give people a antigen test and ask them to test at home)

3 Likes

Agreed, 47 arrivals tested positive, but the rest of the arrivals still have to ‘enjoy’ time in Quarantine. Meanwhile, those who had not been overseas but took a test that revealed a negative result, are free to roam.