Personal GPS

Anyone using a GPS that you carry with you in Taiwan? If so, what brand of GPS are you using and if the map that comes with it has Taiwan map? I have a TomTom, but that’s more for car navigation. I’d like one that I can easily carry in my pocket without feeling bulky when I’m in Taiwan…

What say you?

Not using one, but Garmin has a few like this one shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 7&ROWNO=13

I use a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx for field stuff. Accurate within 2-5 metres, which is pretty good for what I use it for… :wink: Retails for around $550 AUD

Coke drop-offs? :laughing:

My Nokia E71 phone has GPS and 2 sets of maps, one in Chinese (with English interface) and one with the road names in “English”. I use the quote marks because I now live in “Shindian City,” which is a whole new spelling. I haven’t used it much but it’s difficult to find many addresses because you have to guess the spellings. But if you know roughly where you’re going for it will give you the names as you move the cursor over them, and if you recognise what you’re looking for then life gets easier.

I used the same one, and find it great. $299 USD on Amazon. I’ve got a car bracket for using when driving and it’s really good for that too.

I went thru the process of trying to buy one in Taiwan (as they are made in Taiwan) but in TW you can only buy the TW model, which comes with chinese hardware pushbuttons. Oh the price is 15000-17000nt. :noway:

Coke drop-offs? :laughing:[/quote]

Hell no----pickups!

<<<See avatar- use imagination.

I used the same one, and find it great. $299 USD on Amazon. I’ve got a car bracket for using when driving and it’s really good for that too.

I went thru the process of trying to buy one in Taiwan (as they are made in Taiwan) but in TW you can only buy the TW model, which comes with Chinese hardware pushbuttons. Oh the price is 15000-17000nt. :noway:[/quote]

Wow. You guys are getting ripped. I just checked and Amazon is selling for $268USD. What I want to know is that do you have to pay extra for Taiwan maps with your 60Cx? Not wanting to pay extra for Taiwan map, esp if I’m not going to be there that much…

I went thru the process of trying to buy one in Taiwan (as they are made in Taiwan) but in TW you can only buy the TW model, which comes with Chinese hardware pushbuttons. Oh the price is 15000-17000nt. :noway:[/quote]

Wow. You guys are getting ripped. I just checked and Amazon is selling for $268USD. What I want to know is that do you have to pay extra for Taiwan maps with your 60Cx? Not wanting to pay extra for Taiwan map, esp if I’m not going to be there that much…[/quote]

Amendment- was in fact around $350, not $550 as originally stated.

Are there any GPS with English translation for street names in Taipei?

I have seen torrents out there with taiwan maps for Garmin devices. They could be worthless too.

Having Garmin installedon my Nokia N95 with english user interface.
Use Mapsource for searching some POI’s which works pretty good.
For navigation and searching I have the English and Chinese Map installed.
The chinese map for routing and enabled.
The english map for searching POI’s, which are shown in parallel.
So far very good.
Only issue, looks like Garin doesn’t update the english map anymore