Personal Safety Notice from Taipei City

Has anyone ever looked at the [color=red]Handbook for Foreigners in Taipei (English)[/color] issued by the Taipei City Government? I picked up a copy of this publication a while back at the Foreign Affairs Police Station and found the following advice to foreigners regarding personal safety in Taipei:

quote="Handbook for Foreigners in Taipei (English), Chapter One, Part III, Safety Notice for Foreigners on page 27"Personal Safety

1. Sitting directly behind the driver in a taxi will allow you to react quickly if there is a problem. (For example, [color=blue]you can grab the steering wheel and create a fake traffic accident thereby involving others while getting you out of possible danger[/color].)

2. Carry a self-defense device when outdoors.[/quote]

Does anyone else find no. 11 above less than sound advice? And I wonder what types of self-defense devices are contemplated by no. 17 above… machete?

Actually, I just read through that handbook this Saturday. Full of some good legal facts, but I didn’t really learn anything from it. I also couldn’t really understand the “fake accident” logic.

When you think about it, though, it is probably safer to sit behind the cab driver than on the right side of the back seat. However, being a guy who doesn’t take cabs much, I don’t worry much about stuff like that.

I tend to sit behind the driver on the rare occasion that I take a taxi, but that’s (a) so he can’t see me in his rear-view and will therefore be less likely to attempt conversation and (b) its him rather than me that’ll go through the windscreen in the event of a smash.
As for #17, COOL! I guess this means I can wear the foot-long Crocodile Dundee-style aborigine sheath knife I bought in the mountains last Saturday!
“call that a knife? THIS is a knife.”

It is safer to sit behind the driver, you are more exposed behind the passenger seat. If a taxi driver tried to kidnap me (As if ! Who would want me ?) I would make him crash, or worse. But I’m not sure if that’s good advice to give (I’ve said no to an armed mugger and walked away, I’ve regretted it ever since, I should have punched him out)

As for no.17, I have a 50,000V stun gun at home somewhere

The subject line reminded me of a warning that scrolls by on the announcement signs in some MRT stations: “Beware of your personal safety when riding the MRT.”

Yeah, you never can tell when your personal safety might try to attack you. :?

I know where you can pick up an extremely effective “self-defence device” for NT$800, but you have to be strong enough to use it. If I were a woman, I’d pick up one of those electric shock machines. When applied to the balls of a local pervert, it is extremely effective as well.

But that way you might find yourself kissing the back of his head, Sandman! Wouldn’t it be better to go through the windscreen?

Is that what the wife uses to keep you in line?

Is that what the wife uses to keep you in line?[/quote]
Yes

I mean… no… it’s because I love her. Can you put that away now ? You have to recharge it again.

Self defense thingy? I thought about a smith & wesson. Since the Taipei govt advises me to.

Seems like a load of crap to me.

You were lucky, perhaps. I learned the hard way that sometimes walking away isn’t enough - you should run!

In the UK several years ago, I was walking with some friends to a party. It was dark and we were walking by a park. I was walking up ahead with one friend, but I heard some other voices and looked back to see that about ten people had come out of the park and were bothering another friend. I went back to hear him saying ‘Why are you bothering me? I haven’t done anything to you?’ I told him that we should just walk away. I waited till he walked on then walked on myself. One of the guys came up quickly behind me, got me in a headlock and got me on the ground. They kicked me a bit. In the meantime, my friends were looking back, horrified, from a safe distance - we were young students and had never seen anything like this before, so I can’t really blame them.

I don’t remember the next bit but a guy who was at a local probation hostel, and who was an ex-boxer, came up and told the group to f*** o**. By that time there were presumably a few more people around as well. The group ran away into the park. Dazed and shocked, I managed to get up and stumbled across the road, almost into the path of a car but the guy on probation pulled me out of the way.

The police came and quickly took details. One officer rather snidely said to the guy on probation ‘Don’t worry; we’ve already got your details’. I was taken to hospital for a checkup and pronounced OK.

I will always be grateful to that guy; the group of lads were a bit half-hearted and wouldn’t have killed me but they could have inflicted a bit more injury if not stopped. That took real guts; the guy was on probation (had just got out of prison in fact) and really didn’t need to get involved in any more trouble, but stuck his neck out to help a stranger.

as far as i know you can carry a sword as long as it isn’t sharp… does anyone know where i can learn to make the sound of the sword cutting through air like in the movies… itd make my dull sword more intimidating in moments of conflict

[quote](I’ve said no to an armed mugger and walked away, I’ve regretted it ever since, I should have punched him out)
[/quote]

I think giving them what they want and walking/running away is probably smarter than trying to fight. (Unless you’re pretty sure you’re going to win that fight.)
A friend of mine got stabbed for refusing to give up his watch, and in a separate incident three of my friends got shot for refusing to give up their car to two guys.

i think there is a lot of principle behind this… like if someone comes up to me and says run your shit… they aint just having it, make me give it to you… was I dumb if i got shot or stabbed? maybe, but if every stick up kid has to stab or shoot someone everytime they rob them they may think about getting a new profession

[quote=“sandman”][quote]
“call that a knife? THIS is a knife.”[/quote][/quote]

That’s not a knife, that’s a spoon.

Now you say…“Oh, I see you’ve played ‘knifey-spooney’ before”

No, you were lucky to be alive if you survive such an attack when you had an opportunity to run. And dumb.

My neighbor’s dog tries to attack me every time I walk by his house. I have tried throwing rocks at him, but that only works if the rocks are large enough to hurt him, and usually I can only find little pebbles.

I’ve considered buying one of those 50,000 volt “stun guns”, but don’t you have to hold it just a few inches from your assailant? I don’t want to stick my hand that close to this dog.

What do you think would be my best weapon?

[quote=“Mark Nagel”]My neighbor’s dog tries to attack me every time I walk by his house. I have tried throwing rocks at him, but that only works if the rocks are large enough to hurt him, and usually I can only find little pebbles.

I’ve considered buying one of those 50,000 volt “stun guns”, but don’t you have to hold it just a few inches from your assailant? I don’t want to stick my hand that close to this dog.

What do you think would be my best weapon?[/quote]
The stun gun, if it’s legal. Believe me, if the dog attacks you, you’ll find your hand “that close to this dog,” whether you want it there or not. It will be instinctive, your hands will naturally go out to fend off the dog. Just make sure the stun gun is in your hand, too.

And remember to pull the trigger!

Pepper. Lots of it.