Perspective of the image of Taipei city

Hi,

I’m a graduate stusent and undertaking my master’s thesis about “Foreign perspectives on the evaluation of the city of Taipei”. The purpose of the thesis is to investigate how foreignrs feel living in Taipei.
The questionnaire is one part of my research and really need your opinions. :help:

qqq.cht.com.tw/webform/publish/1982.asp

In addition, because I need more and more foreignrs do the survey,
could you help me forward the address to other foreigners also living in Taipei?

The opinion from you guys can help me more understand your perspectives of the image of Taipei.
The more we know what you think of, the more we can improve it.
So really hope you can help me do the questionnaire and forward the address to your friends.

Thanks very much.

I had a lookat this questionnaire and was particularly taken by the following question:

4. Please write down three of your favorite Taiwanese you ever ate in Taiwan?

We big noses may have some strange habits but I would draw the line at cannibalism as it shows great disrespect to our hosts.

I am wondering if the question refers to muff-diving in which case modesty prohibits mentioning names.

In any case the questionnaire seems innocuous enough though heavily slanted towards finding out about eating habits and restaurants.

Hmmm…

BroonAte

We all know that putting together a survey like this takes a lot of work, whiteskinlee, especially in a foreign language – and I was happy to complete one for you and submit it.

You probably should change the question BroonAle mentioned though. :laughing: Maybe make it something like “Please write down your three favorite Taiwanese restaurants in Taiwan.” You also probably want to remove the “waiter” option from the question about traffic :wink: )

Good luck with your project!

[quote=“When I submitted the questionnaire, the server”]Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers

I pressed a button at the bottom of the survey and it erased all my answers.

If you want foreigners to complete your survey, you should realize most of us cannot read Chinese. So, put your command buttons in English.

Normally, I am not one to go screaming for English service in Taiwan but in this case – targeting foreigners – you need to.

As it is I spent 15 minutes filling it out and writing answers. All of that got deleted. Not many people will do it over. I won’t.

So, for others, press the button on the left!

[quote=“BroonAle”]I am wondering if the question refers to muff-diving in which case modesty prohibits mentioning names.

[/quote]

Well, you could tell them your three favourite paid dishes. :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“BroonAle”]I am wondering if the question refers to muff-diving in which case modesty prohibits mentioning names.

[/quote]

Well, you could tell them your three favourite paid dishes. :smiling_imp:[/quote]

:bravo: :laughing:

BroonAppetizers

To BroonAle,

I’m sorry about I’m not exactly understand the reply from you. I’ll try and ask friends to understand what the sentence mean.And I guess Chewycorns help me answer the question…

To Hobbes,

I’ve already change the question to"Please write down your three favorite Taiwanese cuisine in Taiwan." And I also delete the option “waiter”. Thanks your correct and your help.

To Mr He,

I’m sorry about that and I’ve wrote the letter to the company. I’m so angry about the problem because you are not the first one. My friend ever met the condition but after try many times and few minutes, she submitted it.

To rooftop,

[quote]I pressed a button at the bottom of the survey and it erased all my answers.

If you want foreigners to complete your survey, you should realize most of us cannot read Chinese. So, put your command buttons in English. [/quote]
I’m sorry to heard that. All my ignore not pay attention to the question.
The all buttoms are system-based so I can’t change them anymore. Now I add the direction before the command button. I’m sorry about the time you do the questionnaire and I’m appreciate you again.

#1: You can add English text above or below the buttons
#2: I got the same error with the database
#3: Try shortening the width
#4: There’s a question where you should type a reply in a text box, but it gives you check boxes instead

It took me a long time to fill that out. When i hit to submit it kept telling me I had to pick three choices for one of the questions. I already did that but it still wouldn’t let me submit until they were chosen. Not cool.

I hate to be picky, but, you may also want to have your foreign friends look over your survey and help undo the Chinglish. If you are truly doing this for a Graduate thesis, then you need a more professional looking presentation…and maybe fewer general questions.

I hate to say this, but your survey sounds similar to the ones high school students ask me at CKS memorial Hall.

Your Graduate Thesis should be better IMHO.

Good luck.

For a graduate thesis, i would have one subject only.

I covered intercultural communication in Sino-Foreign joint ventures when I wrote mine, and ended up focusing on differences in decision-making processes amond Danish and Chinese managers. It all got boiled down to one main question only.

Also, I did my research as qualitative research, IE picking out a small number of respondents (the total number of Joint ventures was not very big in those days), and then making 1-2 in depth interviews lasting from 30-60 minutes with each.

By focusing on a smaller number and goiing more “in debth” wich each one, I managed to get a very good thesis out of it.

[quote=“Mr He”]For a graduate thesis, I would have one subject only.

I covered intercultural communication in Sino-Foreign joint ventures when I wrote mine, and ended up focusing on differences in decision-making processes amond Danish and Chinese managers. It all got boiled down to one main question only.

Also, I did my research as qualitative research, IE picking out a small number of respondents (the total number of Joint ventures was not very big in those days), and then making 1-2 in depth interviews lasting from 30-60 minutes with each.

By focusing on a smaller number and goiing more “in debth” wich each one, I managed to get a very good thesis out of it.[/quote]

I would have to agree. A master’s thesis is about knowing more and more about less and less.

I do not however agree with your spelling of “depth.” lol

Well, I don’t care too much about the spelling here. Me no English teacher.

It’s very hard to narrow a broad topic down, whereas it’s easy to widen a veyr narrow topic, if needed.

You shoudl have one theme in your thesis only, for instance trying to discern how western foreigners see Taipei in terms of food. That should give you enough to make a nice focused thesis. Run some general questionnaires for a bit of quantification, and get a few focused in-debth interviews with a small but roughly representative sample as well.

That should do IMO.

[quote=“Mr He”]Well, I don’t care too much about the spelling here. Me no English teacher.

It’s very hard to narrow a broad topic down, whereas it’s easy to widen a veyr narrow topic, if needed.

You shoudl have one theme in your thesis only, for instance trying to discern
how western foreigners see Taipei in terms of food
. That should give you enough to make a nice focused thesis.
Run some general questionnaires for a bit of quantification, and get a few focused in-debth interviews with a small but roughly representative sample as well.

That should do IMO.[/quote]

That’s a better and a worse idea IMHO for a GRADUATE thesis. :slight_smile:

And Mr He, are you saying only engrish teachahs needs to spells well? Shirley you’re not saying that. :slight_smile:

What kind of food they like, how hard it is for them to obtain it, what they like and so on…

If not, flats, or traffic, or whatever.

[quote=“Mr He”]Well, I don’t care too much about the spelling here. Me no English teacher.

You shoudl have one theme in your thesis only, for instance trying to discern how western foreigners see Taipei in terms of food. That should give you enough to make a nice focused thesis. Run some general questionnaires for a bit of quantification, and get a few focused in-debth interviews with a small but roughly representative sample as well.

That should do IMO.[/quote]
Maybe he’s already doing that. One or more sections could be dummy sections to draw focus away from the the important one. Perhaps its looking for how foreigners who actually like Taiwan overall like Taiwanese food compared to how foreigners who don’t like Taiwan overall like Taiwanese food.

Or maybe: do foreigners think Taiwanese food is responsible for the traffic conditions here…

[quote=“whiteskinlee”]Hi,

I’m a graduate stusent and undertaking my master’s thesis about “Foreign perspectives on the evaluation of the city of Taipei”. The purpose of the thesis is to investigate how foreignrs feel living in Taipei.
The questionnaire is one part of my research and really need your opinions. :help:

qqq.cht.com.tw/webform/publish/1982.asp
[/quote]
I spend a lot of time filling it out.

Then I pressed the Submit button.

Database error.

Grrrrrr…

I’m sorry it’s so late to reply all responce from you. I’m just finished my midterm.

puiwaihin,

[quote]#1: You can add English text above or below the buttons
#3: Try shortening the width
#4: There’s a question where you should type a reply in a text box, but it gives you check boxes instead[/quote]

Thanks your advice.
#1: I’ve add the English direction above the command buttons.
#3.: The width is system-based so I can’t change them. I’m soory.
#4: Thanks your carefulness to figure out and I’ve correct that question.

Chris & puiwaihin & Damage,

I’ve called the company and they said that they’ve redesign the program for me. So I hope the latters won’t meet the problems again. And thanks your help do the questionnaire.

jdsmith,

[quote]I hate to be picky, but, you may also want to have your foreign friends look over your survey and help undo the Chinglish. If you are truly doing this for a Graduate thesis, then you need a more professional looking presentation…and maybe fewer general questions.

I hate to say this, but your survey sounds similar to the ones high school students ask me at CKS memorial Hall.

Your Graduate Thesis should be better IMHO.[/quote]

Thanks your advices. I’ve check all the questions many times because I knew that the questionnaire is for foreigners, My professor also helped me check all contents many times. Finally, I found one foreigner proofread all the questionnaire. Maybe there’re still many Chinglish, I try to do my best and hope all of you can help me correct unproper sentences or usage.

I don’t know the content you did at CKS memorial Hall but I think that the purpose of the survey are different. If the topic is really so stupid for a graduate student, my professor wont allow the topic. I spend so much time doing the research and read many references from others research.

Could you tell me what IMHO mean for??

All,

Some people do their thesis as qualitative research and some do their thesis as quantitative research. I’m the latter do a quantitative research.

My research is about “city image”, I focuse on “Taipei city” and the respondents focus on “foreigners living in Taipei”. I’ve focus one thing in my research and that is a challenge for me. Find a foreigner do the questionnaire is more difficult to find a Chinese, especially it’s a long questionnaire. I know it’s a hard work but I hope my thesis are not only let me got the graduate degree also offer some ideas to Taipei government or other researchers. I really hope our city can improve more and better than now by people from different countries so in order to know more opinions from you, there’re many open-ended questions.

I really want to do a great thesis so I’m so happy to listen so many advices from you and appreciate you again to care about my research.