Pet Peeves Commentary

Interestingly, all of the Taiwanese to whom I have spoken have assured me that in their culture, it IS considered rude to point and stare at people. Thus, it stands to reason that such responses should not be viewed as unacceptable.

Yeah, imagine if parents in the west said things like, “Look, Robbie, a CHINESE PERSON!! Now, you go over and say hello and make yourself seen!” I think everyone would freak out and consider it really racist (myself included). So is it not racist when it’s done to us over here? I understand that parents want their kids to be comfortable with foreigners, and if I’m not busy, I have no problem with a quick, “Hello. How are you? What’s your name? Etc.”
When a person is on a date or conversing with friends, however, it is unacceptable. Also, check out the really old thread on “Blessing Babies”. segue.com.tw/viewtopic.php?t=1402

And feel free to do outlandish things in the meantime…

Nice to see my thread simmering along…

Speaking of “small, intellegent, mobile units,” as Robert Fripp once referred to them, calling a child a “little friend” (Hsiao peng you) is more than I can take. They are not my friends.
I prefer to call them “little enemies” (Hsiao di ren) instead.

i found out a way to get to the little buggers, answer them in a mix of german,french and spanish,they usually look lost and go away. :laughing: that is until you get one that understands.

In those kinds of situations, I usually employ my curmudgeonly stare, which has been known (on one memorable occasion) to cause small children to pee in their pants. It very often prompts them to burst into tears, too, which usually gets them whisked away by mummy sharpish.

I’ve seen Poagao’s curmudgeonly stare, too, and while it may be classed as “not bad,” I don’t believe (although I could be wrong) that it has ever resulted in involuntary loss of bladder control on the part of the recipient.

No, I usually have to slap them on the head to elicit any kind of emissions. It’s just that much more fun.

Sometimes, when I’m in an unnaturally good mood, I walk over and and say “Diu-la, goa doshi ah-dogha…ah libei annua? Cong xia! Kua sa xiao, ali! Gan…” spits betelnut juice

Of course it would be wise to have some sort of weapon on you if you plan to use such language within earshot of mafia-related relatives.

Guest, you should feel flattered when called a meiguoren. I, myself am insulted if someone asks if I’m janadaren.

I don’t know whut’s funnier!!! … ooga booga OOGA! the fact thet your a total loser or that, you’ve no grasp of English grammer like me! I’m a looser I’m a looser!!!
I even eat my own boogers! and those of my friends, when I can get them! Yum yum! Im a looser and Im tooscared to use my own name.
:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Anonymous”][quote=“JeffG”]
I don’t know what’s funnier … the fact thet your a total loser, or that you’ve no grasp of English grammer!
:P[/quote][/quote]

Bada bing bada bang…EDITORS!! THE GUEST!!!

[quote=“JeffG”]People who use cell phones in the non-cell phone cars of the MRT.
People who use cell phones in public and yell as load as they can.[/quote]
[color=blue]I have been resisting getting a cellphone for a long time, because I don’t want to get pestered all the time, but now I think I will get one just so that I can[/color] [color=red]yell into it on the MRT[/color][color=blue], so that everyone will by impressed by my[/color] [color=red]stunningly biaozhun Mandarin[/color] [color=blue]and, who knows, I might get offered a decent job on TV or something. I could save money by picking up a dud cellphone and pretending to have a conversation. Cool plan, huh?[/color] 8)

People who write messages as a guest because theyre too cowardly to use their real name. or even their fake one. Ohh ohhhhh my penis is itching again. :laughing:

Wimpy! Here. Catch!

Ha! Gotcha.

Gee, I wonder WHO the GUEST could be… Yawn…Your remarks are boring and off topic.

Another pet peeve would be those who are too scared to use there real accounts on the segue boards. But then again why should I care! HA HA!!! (Just trying to stay on topic)

complain … blah blah blah … Taiwan … blah blah blah…Taiwanese … blah blah blah… complain complain complain.

I just tune out when people start spewing out all that complaining bile, it’s just vile. :smiley:

Ok, every place has it’s share of bad things but I am tired of whingers who just don’t like Taiwan because it’s not like home.

Oh dear, what a cursed life you must lead here in Taiwan tortured as are you are by your overly-sensitive nostrils.

Is it not the curse of all big-nosed foreigners? The locals never seem to smell anything. Er… except when I let fly after eating beans and my girlfriend edges away from me.

I actually like that jingle but only because it tells me exactly when it will arrive. Luckily mine goes right past my house (not an apt.). Otherwise we (those of us who don’t live in apartments) would all be hanging around on the street corner waiting for the trash truck to appear like waiting for an elusive bus.

I’d much rather have one of those ‘English speaking’ trash trucks like they have in Tainan - I need to brush up on my Englsh conversation skills you see! Anyone actually heard one of them?

The Garbage truck always makes me thirsty. At home that jingle is used for the milk truck. I couldn’t believe it when I first came to Taiwan, I heard the jingle, raced out side, “Man the milk sure smells bad here… wait a minute, it’s a garbage truck”. Oh the humanity. What’s worse is I heard a garbage truck in a different town with my towns ice-cream truck jingle… let’s just say I wasn’t hungry when I went out to investigate.

You know… I think that ridiculous jingle would really take off here if some DJ got hold of it and made a club anthem out of it… :smiley:

But never mind me, I’ve not had enough sleep… where are my keys…? :?

Most Taiwanese actually do not pay a blind bit of notice to me or other foreigners unless they happen to be very tall, very fat or black (sad but true).
It’s annoying to be stared at on any occasion but it depends who is doing the staring. I hate it when attractive xiao jies completely do not stare at me. Surely a tall handsome foreigner is worth just a quick peek, a furtive glance perhaps. No? Oh, well forget it then - stuck up b**ch!

You’re joking right, or else you are of Chinese appearance or live in a foreigner neighbourhood (where a lot of people STILL stare at you anyway I’ve found)???

Actually I find foreigners stare at me more than Chinese people! I look pretty normal people have assured me! There aren’t THAT many of us down here in Taichung, not compared to Taipei anyway. Funny thing is, I stare at foreigners when I see them too. Can’t help it. Why is that? :slight_smile: