Pet problem

I have a huge problem around my area, almost every morning I need to clean-up dog shit in front of my door.

Reason, stray dogs are roaming this area with the pack, 10 or more sometimes join up. A couple of them ‘belong’ to some people around here but they don’t care for them so they have to look for food by themselfs. A bunch of them look really not good, starting getting bold spots and are probably a flea’s nest.

I want to know what I can do about it, but don’t tell me to start taking care of them, not my duty and don’t have the time or place. I like dogs don’t get me wrong but this is over the top.

Should i contact the police and report the problem?

I can empathize with your problem. I live in Yong he, and in my neighborhood it seems as if it’s the capital of dog world=capital of dog poopoo. And add to that problem, the wild cats and I sometimes feel like I’m in wild kingdom.

I notice the biggest problem out here is that people feed the stray cats. They leave alot of bing dangs and cat food out for them. So while it’s nice they are helping the cats stay alive, they are also encouraging the stray situation.

My guess is that you could take pictures and send them to the media. Where ever you live, has some politician and for their ‘domain’ to be sullied in the public eye would probably clear up the problem really quick.

Best of luck :rainbow:

By clean up you mean (or they mean) put in a shelter that is already over run, and then put the dogs to death.

You could contact neighbours that you know are looking after the dogs and get a team together to get the dogs, desexed, deflead and have the proper injections. if someone can take care of them while they are getting over their operations, 10 days for girls a bit less for boys, then put them back. i know the problem isn’t really solved but at least the dogs are healthy and they won’t multiply.

As i have taught my kids at school, our environment IS OUR PROBLEM. If we all do a little in our area the problems will get less and less.

[quote=“belgian pie”]I have a huge problem around my area, almost every morning I need to clean-up dog shit in front of my door.

Reason, stray dogs are roaming this area with the pack, 10 or more sometimes join up. A couple of them ‘belong’ to some people around here but they don’t care for them so they have to look for food by themselves. A bunch of them look really not good, starting getting bold spots and are probably a flea’s nest.

I want to know what I can do about it, but don’t tell me to start taking care of them, not my duty and don’t have the time or place. I like dogs don’t get me wrong but this is over the top.

Should i contact the police and report the problem?[/quote]

I think contacting the police is not going to change anything about it other that maybe frustrate you because they most likely will not understand why your block deserves more attention then the rest of Taiwan.

You’re not the only one with this problem. Just outside our house lives a pack of stray dogs. They stick around because a lady feeds them everyday. I must say they’re probably the healthiest looking strays in Kaohsiung because of that. That’s where George comes from,(our first CNR case) and Lois, the mother who just recently had an abortion/spayed surgery.

I also love dogs, that’s no news but at night when I try to sleep and they all start barking, I don’t like them very much. In the summer with the air con running and the windows closed, it’s not so bad but in the winter it’s enough to keep me awake.

How to solve or help this problem? That’s a hell of a good question, especially if you’re limited with time, space and willingness to help. We got one dog neutered and one spayed in our local pack here and while it’s good, it only helps with not having more puppies to add to the problem later but it has no effect on the immediate problem of poop and noise because the dogs are still there doing what dogs do.

So the police will not help, you don’t have time and neither does everyone else on your block except the people feeding them as you mentioned. As for involving the media, I don’t think that’s going to work either, I don’t see why journalists would be bothered when they can just take the same footage outside their own house.

What you’re talking about here Belgian Pie is not only your problem, it’s a national problem, the stray overpopulation in Taiwan is truly alarming and your post shows just that.

I can fully comprehend with your concerns, who wants dog shit infesting their neighbourhood? No one. Who wants to help making a difference? Very few people.

In other words, what you have got there is a people problem, not a dog problem… These dogs need help and they’re just not getting that help.

This said, I have a suggestion or two. I believe you operate your own restaurant in Tapei. What if you could do something that would promote your business while raising funds and awareness for this problem? I’m thinking having a small area in your restaurant where you could set up a donation box, then have a few pictures and some literature explaining what you’re doing for the animals. You could also invite animal welfare organisations such as Animals Taiwan to have an event at your restaurant. I haven’t seen your restaurant and I don’t know how much business you do but for example you could schedule some events during the afternoon on weekends. That could help filling in the slow times for business and it would also benefit the animals.

I have no doubt that you could easily raise enough funds as a business owner to treat, neuter and re-home some of these dogs causing troubles outside your house.

Besides, I think the dogs are the victims here, not you. What you are experiencing is a direct consequence of people’s action. No offense intended, but to me you sound like a guy who wants to call the police because you shot yourself in the foot. And I don’t mean you, as in YOU, I mean the general population of Taiwan. Everyone complains about strays while more dogs are abandoned everyday and too few people take the time to do anything about it.

In brief, it comes down to what UKbikerchic posted…

I know you said: [quote]I want to know what I can do about it, but don’t tell me to start taking care of them, not my duty and don’t have the time or place. I like dogs don’t get me wrong but this is over the top. [/quote]

So my apologies for telling you that perhaps you could help these dogs but to be honest, you’re at a loss it seems with this problem and you’re a smart person, how are we supposed to come up with a solution even just in theory if you can’t do so yourself?

I presented what I think are good suggestions of ways you can help while promoting your business and without having to take dogs home and care for them and I did so with the best of intentions.

On this,

Good Luck!

bobepine

pestcontrol.netfirms.com/dog_rep … device.htm

You should buy something like this…it basically a motion sensor that covers a decent area outside of your front door that emits a sound that is only audible to the dog…the sound is painful and the dog learns to stay away from the area…

[quote=“bobepine”]I can fully comprehend with your concerns, who wants dog shit infesting their neighbourhood? No one. Who wants to help making a difference? Very few people.

[/quote]

Couldn’t have said it better myself. This is the crux of not only this particular problem, but almost all of the problems which plague mankind.
Poverty, starvation, child abuse, animal abuse, stray animals… Nobody wants these things to happen, everybody thinks that they are wrong and tragic - but nobody wants to involve themselves in actually trying to do something to solve the problem. It’s far more convenient to simply sweep it under the carpet, pretend you don’t know about it, forget about it and continue to live in ignorant bliss inside the convenient, happy cocoon that is your own little existence, separate and isolated from the great maelstrom of life, death, suffering and everything inbetween on this planet we call Earth.

That’s what fans are for. I keep a fan facing away from my bed running all winter. Just for the sound of it. Helps drown out “foreign” noises.

Out here in BFE there’s also hordes of dogs, and for all the aforementioned reasons. We’re not up to our ears in poop though, and I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that this is a farming area? Does dog mess make good fertilizer?

I also keep a fan running, but I’m more concerned about “local” noise, because the only foreign noise source around here is me!

Dog and cat manure are not used for fertilizer because the droppings of meat-eating animals usually contain diseases…in terms of dogs and cats, they are roundworms and Toxoplasmosis, respectively…obviously, using high heat could potentially sterilize the droppings, but it is obviously not practical from a commercial standpoint…

In other words stray dogs and cats are a problem for farmers. They contaminate the soil without mentioning the crops they damage. That’s why farmers are high on the culprits list when it comes to trapping strays.

bobepine

I have a dog pooping on my front lawn. (no it’s not my little Vivi, but another most likely owned dog).

I thought of the following solutions:

1. Fancing the front year dit.
  2. Bear trap.
  3. Lying in wait with a buxket of water.
  4. Come after the god with a bamboo rod when detected.
  5. Give up, and live with the “fertilizer”.

Ugh, what a horrible thought: Coprophagia. If the farmers aren’t scooping up the inevitable dogshit, then where is it going? Is it like the closed ecosystem that many combined dog and cat households enjoy? You know, the one where you simply feed the cat and the rest takes care of itself?

Quieted my neighbors barking dogs in just a couple of weeks…Amazing what attitude adjustments you can acheive with a marble travelling at 200 miles per hour… :wink:

I’m sure I’ll catch some flak for this, but I like my peace and quiet. Dogs that bark all day, every day until 3am then shit in my yard have to be dealt with.

[quote=“MJB”]

Quieted my neighbors barking dogs in just a couple of weeks…Amazing what attitude adjustments you can acheive with a marble travelling at 200 miles per hour… :wink:

I’m sure I’ll catch some flak for this, but I like my peace and quiet. Dogs that bark all day, every day until 3am then shit in my yard have to be dealt with.[/quote]

You can achieve the same result with a water gun attachment on your garden hose - just as effective, more humane, and a lot less dangerous.

big manly men and thier toys :loco:

It must make you feel such power firing marbles at a poor defenceless animals.

Wow what a man you are!

[quote=“Stray Dog”][quote=“MJB”]

I’m sure I’ll catch some flak for this, but I like my peace and quiet. Dogs that bark all day, every day until 3am then shit in my yard have to be dealt with.[/quote]

You can achieve the same result with a water gun attachment on your garden hose - just as effective, more humane, and a lot less dangerous.[/quote]

Out of range…Something that really worked for me was to put a small pebble and a bunch of pepper in a condom and shoot them with that. Explodes in a pepper shotgun spray, which does the trick rather nicely.

Keep in mind that these are the same people that tied their dog in my parking space, and it bit my kid. So, my sympathy for this particular animal is pretty limited…

[quote=“UKbikerchic”]big manly men and thier toys :loco:

It must make you feel such power firing marbles at a poor defenceless animals.

Wow what a man you are![/quote]

Reason for said action explained…I like dogs.

Why don’t you come up here and I’ll introduce the dog in question to you personally. :unamused: After which we’ll bandage up whatever’s left of the particular appendage you extended to him in friendship, and have some coffee…

Chill girl.

It is, of course, the owner’s fault - not the dog’s.

Aim for the owner next time if you must.

Oh that’s weak MJB. I really doubt that you have achieved anything other than causing more suffering. Hey, way to go genius! :bravo:

so not only does this poor animal have to be tied up all day, now it’s getting fired apon by a man
~personal attack removed~

As said before why don’t you go and confront his owners, or would that be a little scary for you, much better to fire things from a distance.

I have been bitten by many dogs, but i still don’t resort to firing things at defenceless animals that are only mean because of the way thier terrible owners have treated them. I would speak to the owners and get something done. But then again i’m sure that isn’t as much fun as hiding in your yard and firing things at animals.

~personal attack removed~