Petition to remove French from all British passports?! Dis que ce n'est pas le cas!

Too funny

4 Likes

None of them are French words.

The new UK passports are shite, by the way. Shoddy.

2 Likes

You mean the words in the petition?

Because if you mean the words on the passport… regarde encore une fois, Monsieur.

If you want to go full Anglish, you need to find alternatives to the words United and passport, too, not to mention all those words in the petition.

French loan words are French. Words derived from French aren’t French. You might as well call them Latin.

The US passport also has a paragraph in French
French being some sort of international diplomatic language

Perhaps when China takes over the world there will be Chinese ? In pinyin ?

Yeah, but that’s buried in the stuff no-one reads anyway, not on the front cover. If they changed e pluribus unum to de plusieurs un, that would be going too far!

Darth Vader I find your lack of Anglish earnestness unsettling

1 Like

Wonder what would happen if we rephrased the question:

Do you want to change the United Kingdom coat of arms?

At the time those slogans were written the English wrote mostly in French, while the French at that time wrote mostly in Latin.

1 Like

I’d take it over the shit motto lesser people later tacked on.

I think it was more like french was the language of the nobility.

1 Like

Country’s ruled by a bunch of Germans anyway. :happy_frog:

2 Likes

It’s why the English peasants slaughtered cows to feed the Norman lords beef. Or pigs and pork.

Yeah more or less a few intertwined families were sharing the thrones of Europe.

2 Likes

Yea, I think those phrases on the passeportes, ahem, stem directly from that. :grin:

At about eight hundred years old those phrases predate the ideas about nationality and language under which they are being discussed.

2 Likes

Add Welsh and other linguistic tongue twisters!

Mine is primarily written in Italian, English and French and a translations glossary for other languages is on another page.

I want to have a child in Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch so they have to write that monstrosity into its passport.

Real place. You know I copied and pasted it.

3 Likes

A bunch of olde Germans
Well English is a Germanic language while French is a Latin language

Chinese is just…chinese

Swiss ?

Italian. Swiss would definitely have german inside of it.

1 Like