Petty instance or pretty insane?

Taiwanese girls (actually not just Taiwanese girls, basically most women I think) want to manage your money (ie keep it for you). It is a sense of security. However, I would say to some girl that wants to do that “when we are married” .

But if your Gf is important to you and she should be, then work with her. Try it out. And keep an eye on areas that need keepin an eye on. And yes, you should make sure the bills are paid.

And really as its been said, why the fuss bout going to 7/11? Chances are you go there anyway bill or not.

The important thing is to be happy you have your GF. The girl cant be replaced in its entirety. You can find a new Gf, but its never exactly the same (which can be a good thing or can be a bad thing but just sayin).

I would advise you to make a budget, and then learn about paying yourself first and living within your means. A very simple, yet insightful book on this matter is “The Richest Man in Babylon”.

What would happen if you and your gf split up tomorrow?

You’d lose every penny you earned.
You say you can’t save, and you wouldn’t miss it anyway I guess.
But would you be happy losing all that money?

You need to get a grip and learn how to save.
Maybe a bank account that you can’t touch the money without 30 days notice…

The more money in her account the less she’ll want to part with it.

Even if I was married I wouldn’t let a wife take care of my finances.

The trick is to spend less money than you earn. Hope that was helpful.

You’re asking for trouble in letting her run things and put your money into an account under her name. I am sure I’m not the only poster on here who has heard of numerous instances when guys in Taiwan have been royally screwed over doing that very thing in Taiwan by their Taiwanese girlfriend / fiancee / wife. God, could I tell you some stories I have heard… :noway: wives secretly giving money that their husband has made to their families without their husband’s knowledge, break-ups where the man is left with absolutely nothing, despite the fact that he was the only real bread-earner…you run that risk when you let her take complete control. I am sure your girlfriend is nice and sweet and lovely and you could never dream of her doing that, but don’t you think that others who have been screwed over thought exactly the same thing about their SOs???

BE CAREFUL. :bow:

[quote=“Indiana”]You’re asking for trouble in letting her run things and put your money into an account under her name. I am sure I’m not the only poster on here who has heard of numerous instances when guys in Taiwan have been royally screwed over doing that very thing in Taiwan by their Taiwanese girlfriend / fiancee / wife. God, could I tell you some stories I have heard… :noway: wives secretly giving money that their husband has made to their families without their husband’s knowledge, break-ups where the man is left with absolutely nothing, despite the fact that he was the only real bread-earner…you run that risk when you let her take complete control. I am sure your girlfriend is nice and sweet and lovely and you could never dream of her doing that, but don’t you think that others who have been screwed over thought exactly the same thing about their SOs???

BE CAREFUL. :bow:[/quote]
“Trust no-one!” What a weird basis for a relationship! :astonished:

I’m rather enjoying my single life, after getting my head fucked over by that nasty Shanghai wench. ALL the money ALL for me (and my credit card debt). Random inane rambling over.

[quote=“JohnnyT”]Its all back to principles isn’t it?

I can do all the running around. And I can do it in half her time and I would not miss a single deadline. She does not even know what the electricity bill looks like or the numbers on it, is absent minded, and irresponsible, she admits to this. [/quote]

Then why consent to give her control of the finances anyway?

Sorry, but I found that comment worrisome, and revealing…
I think you need to be honest with yourself about more than just money, regarding this relationship…

That aside, having read through all the posts, I think it would be a very bad idea to give her control of your money. Especially here, where the rights of the average foreinger isn’t worth the brain fart required to think of it.
I think you would far better serve yourself by limiting your spending and taking the advice of one of the previous posters and putting money away into a 30 day notice account (or simply sending it to a bank account back home). I would further suggest that you let a set amount of money be automatically transferred to your preferred savings account each month. That way you’ll never miss it.

I’m willing to bet that soon come shortly this will also be the last time you ever let your money into somebody else’s account…

But this does seem more common than not on this glorious little isle. I’ve had two girlfriends here that “selflessly” offered to “manage” my money by having me put my hard earned lucre into their accounts. One even offered to take care of my ATM and credit cards for me…if I needed money, she suggested I go to her and ask for my cards after explaining what I need the money for and how much I needed.

Both scenarios reminded me of when I was in college and I had a joint account with my mother. To draw money for college and book fees etc. I had to make an appointment with her to meet me at the bank where we would both have to sign for any withdrawals. I eventually resented her for this, we had a huge fight and after much battling she eventually relented (after three years) and gave me complete control. I hated having to go begging for my own money and not being trusted to manage my own affairs.
Fair enough, I was crap at financial management, spent too much on grog and after having gotten myself in trouble had to take a part time job to help me get through that first semester of managing my own finances.
However, I learnt my lesson, and the second semester went smoothly. Despite the hiccup, I had learnt something. Something I would never have learnt had we continued the previous arrangement.

Best just learn about personal financial management yourself. But everyone’s different.

[quote=“Sophia101”]Please fight for important things.

The most important is, to write down your financial plans. How much revenue you will have? And how much you want to save? Then you will know how much you will cut from daily expenses.

I ever been an accountant, but hate to book my expences. For me, the best way for saving money is to make more money. I just built a small store, already got a good sales amount. I only focus on important clients (rich, and want to buy more), never care but still
nice with common clients. I will give good clients special discounts and more services. Tonight I sent a small Italian chair to a rich woman’s home, when I came back home, 11:00 p.m. already, of course with my children.

When I knew my husband lost a lot of money for his business in Shanghai, what I thought is to get more money back. Maybe angry, but only for a little while. To solve the problems is what I only want.[/quote]

Never quite sure what you’re on about…

Well here’s an update. For those expat fortune tellers who made mention that our days were limited… well it turns out you have skills, they were very limited. You should find a part time job at the nearest temple. I’ll send referrals. :bow:

This instance was a catalyst for many legacy issues between us that seemed to just resurface from out the blue.

I’m also single now, for the first time in about a decade and a half. It’s very lonely, and I’m not quite used to this, but its been three weeks, and I can see how this could have been a blessing in disguise.

Sometimes things just don’t work out. Reasons… well… there are reasons beyond what words can describe. Perfect partner policy here I come.

Gee I do miss her, but this is for the greater good.

I gotta try and stay single for a while this time. It’s the only time that I can really reflect on myself.

It’s amazing how much more real one becomes when things get real. Duh.

Reflect on yourself? Haha. You won’t have time with all the girls I know you will be chasing (and maybe getting).