Petty offender teaches English as community service

Ok…

The government usually makes the rules…

You try and stop 'em!

Ok…

You try and stop 'em![/quote]Ahh, but different depts. have different rules for the same thing, so if he has an APRC or a JFRV, then he could very well get into trouble with the MOE for not fulfilling the requirements they have for all foreign English teachers to go through them. The guy got off light, but if they wanted to really harass with him they could. My general rule of thumb is everything is illegal someway in Taiwan and if someone really wants to get you they can.

In a Taiwanese jail you will be put 25 people to a cell, and on top of that you must work 12 hours a day just to earn your room/board.[/quote]

It is something developed countries can learn from IMHO. Better than giving them a degree and paying $60,000/year for their upkeep. I like Asian-style justice. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Yeah great innit. Totally random. Get caught with a miniscule amount of blow and get carted off to prison for a week. Cause an accident through drunk driving, as here, and the bastard gets off with a fine. (Yes, if you are hourly paid and sentenced to do your normal job for free, that’s a fine.)

He’s teaching for 13 hours a day, seven days a week? Can’t see a lot of learning happening there. Not that that will make any difference to anyone. (Either that or the reporting’s whack as usual)

Ok…

You try and stop 'em![/quote]Ahh, but different depts. have different rules for the same thing, so if he has an APRC or a JFRV, then he could very well get into trouble with the MOE for not fulfilling the requirements they have for all foreign English teachers to go through them. The guy got off light, but if they wanted to really harass with him they could. My general rule of thumb is [color=#FF0000]everything is illegal someway in Taiwan[/color] and if someone really wants to get you they can.[/quote]
So true. :thumbsup: