PFP Councilman caught faking evidence

I’m surprised this took so long to surface in the Englishy papers since it’s been headline news in local media for days now:

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003258526

Mike Wang had a very popular TV show which used an investigative style quite unique in Taiwan. It wasn’t quite 60 Minutes, but they used to go after people used to being protected by their status and revealing their dirty deeds/secrets. After this story broke and revealed that Wang had presented a staged video as evidence to Taipei City Council, it makes me wonder how many of the news stories on his show were also similarly concocted… not to mention how many of the other sensational claims of his (now ex) party bretheren were also falsified.

The English news on FTV has been covering it pretty faithfully.

^^^ Have to confess that I only watch their Mandarin news. :blush:

me too :wink:

[quote=“hsiadogah”]I’m surprised this took so long to surface in the Englishy papers since it’s been headline news in local media for days now:

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003258526

Mike Wang had a very popular TV show which used an investigative style quite unique in Taiwan. It wasn’t quite 60 Minutes, but they used to go after people used to being protected by their status and revealing their dirty deeds/secrets. After this story broke and revealed that Wang had presented a staged video as evidence to Taipei City Council, it makes me wonder how many of the news stories on his show were also similarly concocted… not to mention how many of the other sensational claims of his (now ex) party bretheren were also falsified.[/quote]

saw him sobbing and blubbering all over television news like the spoiled brat he is. would it be impossible for him to actually resign from his city council position. is it so he may continue to use his coveted position to further his own bank account, social status and personal agenda? oh, i’m sorry, he’s staying in the council so that he can ‘continue to service the public and offer assistance to those who need it(him/his cronies)’ pure garbage.

[quote=“mungacious”]he’s staying in the council so that he can ‘continue to service the public and offer assistance to those who need it(him/his cronies)’ pure garbage.[/quote]I would guess that if he hopes to salvage a career in politics, he’s going to have to hang in there regardless of the pressure to step down. What with the legislative yuan about to be slashed in half, the city/county councils are set to become the last refuge of elected office for dirtbags like this.

Poor little guy! :laughing: :boo-hoo:

With fellow People First Party (PFP) Taipei City councilors by his side, PFP Taipei City Councilor
Mike Wang bursts into tears yesterday while begging the party leadership not to expel him.
Photo: Wang Mingwei, Taipei Times

I had so much fun (as always) trying to figure out what he did. I love watching Chinese News stations and making up stories about the footage I see.

Am I alone in this? :loco:

[quote=“Battery9”]I love watching Chinese News stations and making up stories about the footage I see.

Am I alone in this? :loco:[/quote]I have to admit that the news was much more fun when I couldn’t understand what was going on. Now it just pisses me off. :fume:

Soong is behind him 100% - that’s good enough for me.

Nope. I do that too. But the thing that surprises me is that when I actually question my BF as to what the stories are really about the answer frequently turns out to be far more inane than I had imagined. Example: the other day I watched a good five minute segment to do, I surmised, with swimming, maybe a piece on water quality checks? As I began to question the Boyf I discovered that a girl had contracted an illness. From the water? No from her freind’s swimming costume that she borrowed. What kind of illness? Cauliflower. (genital warts then). okay eww. But what is it doing on the national news? I asked as the cameras now in the hospital, having shown an obscered figure lying in a bad,swiveled up to show the direction sign to the Blood Transfusion Wing. WTF…why are they showing that sign? How misleading is that? unless there’s something I’m missing where treatment for Genital warts in Taiwan invloves a long hospital stay and blood transfusions. You’d think that there would be some sort of body monitoring the news stations and fining them for disseminating such blatent innaccurate, misleading ideas.

[quote=“Maoman”]
Poor little guy! :laughing: :boo-hoo:

With fellow People First Party (PFP) Taipei City councilors by his side, PFP Taipei City Councilor
Mike Wang bursts into tears yesterday while begging the party leadership not to expel him.
Photo: Wang Mingwei, Taipei Times
[/quote]

And this is EXCATLY why I can’t find TW men attractive. PUNK :s

Being from S.A, I always expect bad things on the news. So when I see an old woman crying, fainting while holding a picture of her son, the camera going into the childs bedroom and showing his teddy bears…I always assume murder,kidnap, rape.

Then you find out that his little toe was crushed by a 235 bus door and he may loose the nail.

hhmmmmm…

I remember watching Mike Wang’s show a few years back. At first I was really impressed to see investigative journalism - not exactly the modus operandi of local news agencies. He did exposes on betelnut beauties and all sorts of things, so I started watching the show. Then I remember seeing an episode that was so clearly staged and scripted - he even had microphones in place to get the dialogue from people he and his crew were ostensibly “following.” I was pretty disappointed and stopped watching. I didn’t put two and two together that the “si ren fan” bit was him until someone mentioned his show a few days ago. Now I wonder if the bulk of his show wasn’t faked.

Well, it’s not like there are stiff penalties for fabricating news stories or making false accusations. In fact, the tearshow might even give a boost to Wang’s political career. The more interesting aspect of the case is the role the local news media played - they all broadcast the tape well before bothering to check the sources and allegations. I give the story a shelf life of a few days - after all, Little S is getting married, and it won’t be long before media comparisons of hers and A-bian’s son’s weddings take center stage (which is more lavish, who attends, what everyone is wearing and what it cost, who will get preggers first, etc.). After all, the news is more and more about advertizing / publicity - look at how supermodel Lin Zhi-ling is on the news almost every single day…

[quote=“Namahottie”]

And this is EXCATLY why I can’t find TW men attractive. PUNK :s[/quote]

As a side note disclaimer- As I recieved a nice pm from a fellow forumosan pointing out something, my statement in no way should be construted as racism, as that was not my intent with my post. Rather, it’s just the behavior I find displayed by Wang as a huge TURN off and it seems to be a very common theme that runs in the ethos of TW. But that’s just an personal opinion…

[quote=“Battery9”]Being from S.A, I always expect bad things on the news. . . Then you find out that his little toe was crushed by a 235 bus door and he may loose the nail.

hhmmmmm…[/quote]

But this matter was not so trivial for everyone. I recall hearing/reading that his stupid concocted story caused a decrease in business for many restaurants. Taiwanese are superstitious and the claim that funeral food is being served in a restaurant is a serious matter. Moreover, because dumbfuck failed to pinpoint specific businesses, many customers apparently avoided all restaurants in the area.

I hope the local restaurant owners sue him for lost profits. In addition, the prosecutor should definitely file criminal charges against him for the harms that he caused – people should be taught that they cannot make intentional false public statements that cause damages to others. . . but I’m not holding my breath waiting. Taiwan seems to prefer public sobbing and humiliation over real punishment.

Not to mention the distress caused to the families of the recently deceased. Surely there is some kind of law/ public watchdog against such false reporting? It’s not like it’s a simple matter of not checking the facts this was pure fabrication, bought up during a government meeting. I can’t for the life of me understand what he was thinking. Tearful; public apologies in thiese kind of situations just irriatate me. It’s not like he made a mistake- he deliberately set out to decieve people for no apparent reason.

[quote=“kitkat”]I can’t for the life of me understand what he was thinking.[/quote]I’m quite sure he was relying on the fact that other people do not do any fact checking, even when that’s their job description. IOW, he figured he’d get away with it, so why not?

Most of time, “I’m sorry” means nothing more than “I’m sorry I was caught, please don’t punish me.”

BTW, none of what has happened so far proves that offerings are not in fact sold out the back door of the temples and/or do not end up in local restaurants. :wink:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
But this matter was not so trivial for everyone. I recall hearing/reading that his stupid concocted story caused a decrease in business for many restaurants. Taiwanese are superstitious and the claim that funeral food is being served in a restaurant is a serious matter. Moreover, because dumbfuck failed to pinpoint specific businesses, many customers apparently avoided all restaurants in the area.

I hope the local restaurant owners sue him for lost profits. In addition, the prosecutor should definitely file criminal charges against him for the harms that he caused – people should be taught that they cannot make intentional false public statements that cause damages to others. . . but I’m not holding my breath waiting. Taiwan seems to prefer public sobbing and humiliation over real punishment.[/quote]

In the article in the Taipei Times yesterday, it said that restaurant owners could sue him if they could prove they lost business in the period after he made the claim, and providing receipts for the period before and after the claim was made should suffice.

So the courts require you to prove your business/reputation was damaged by furnishing receipts? What about long term losses? Taint by association, etc.

Unbelievable!

So, slander/libel away in Taiwan as long as the other person can’t provide receipts!

And by a legislator/investigative journalist no less! Who’ll almost certainly get a slap on the wrist, dry his crocodile tears and keep making the same amount of money.

James Soong is behind him?! That crook knows no shame!

Does the Apocaplyse begin in Taiwan?

He can always follow his true calling and become Hu Jintao’s sex slave.