Phasing out older automobiles

A while back, I skimmed the news and saw that older automobiles require phasing out in order to better expedite air quality and emissions controls.

What is the scoop on this? Does anyone have a heads up?

yes, you have to turn over your car, asap.
if you hand me the keys and ownership papers, I’ll handle the rest, gratis.
:smiling_face:

1 Like

Phasing out by decree would seem to be especially unnecessary in Taiwan, because in general Taiwanese (except aboriginals) fear old vehicles and won’t maintain them, so they die by neglect.

There are, however, enhanced govt funded scrappage payments to bribe the punter to get rid, though not as liberal as past British Govt schemes.

Colleage scrapped a rather nice and perfectly funtional SAAB a while ago. THINK he got 50K towards a new car.

If i remember correctly, the UK scrappage schemes where to keep the motor industry afloat.
I seem to recall environmentalist condemning them, something about maintaining an old car was better, as most of the environmental damage had already been done.

New cars are better to run and better to manufacture but you are adding to the damage already done, also newer cars are not built to be maintained, so you are constantly replacing them.

Im probably just remembering one side of the argument as im old and don’t want to be scrapped :wink:

1 Like

“where” is relevent, since the motor industry that mostly benefitted was in S. Korea

I think one of the best thing the government could do for public safety is also phase out the large tour buses. They are really too big for many roads in Taiwan, and they make the freeways even more dangerous.