PhD Grad Not Feeling the Love from Taiwan Academia

Can you answer the following question…

What can you do? (for me/them)

I don’t care what you’ve done…I care about what you can do for me… what problems you can solve??
Until you can articulate that in a manner that I understand… you are just a commodity PhD along with the other 100s of PhDs floating around Taiwan.

If you want to get paid Starbuck’s coffee wages instead of commodity 7-11 coffee wages you need to express/advertise your unique value in the marketplace.

So, I ask you, “what value can you provide to the market”? Just thinking you deserve something because you have a PhD is not going to cut it, especially in a place like Taiwan.

You might want to research the term “personal brand” for some help…

‘Cette vie est un hôpital où chaque malade est possédé du désir de changer de lit. Celui-ci voudrait souffrir en face du poêle, et celui-là croit qu’il guérirait à côté de la fenêtre.
Il me semble que je serais toujours bien là où je ne suis pas, et cette question de déménagement en est une que je discute sans cesse avec mon âme.’ - Baudelaire

That quote usually calms me down a little

3 Likes

Horseshit, I know of several.

Publish in listed (indexed) journals, not crappy Taiwan-based ones.

Be living in Taiwan already–the schools are generally not going to risk recruiting somebody from overseas (who may never get on the plane, or run away screaming after they do arrive). General evidence of personal stability and reliability is prized.

That said, universities and university departments are closing left and right, due to the aging population structure / decline in university-age youth population, so do be prepared to pursue some other career. Someone mentioned “international” grade schools, and I believe that may be a realistic option for you. Work in one of those for awhile, and you can apply to universities from there. Or go to China if you think you’re competitive, and won’t hate the place–but remember, they like the indexed journals too.

4 Likes

Are there any professors you want to work with/under? You might make some personal connection with them by participating some conferences or visiting them. If money is not a matter, belonging to the department by anyway for a year might help you getting an official position at somewhere next year.

1 Like

I’m no help. My uni is mainly business and engineering.

Oh, you’re not ESL? I didn’t know that.

No, I am. But just English language instruction.

Looks like you didn’t go past the meme kid pic. Not a good start.

Lemme ask you a simple question: since you’re on old sweet potato island, how many prof in Taiwan did you talk to regarding your quest for a job?

He’s talked to several on this thread.

No, as stated in the last post directly above, I am saying Taiwan`s university market has relatively low salaries and is not that open to foreign faculty? How many Deans? How many senior admin? Etc. Etc. In such a environment, why take it seriously. I am saying, he might as well do what most people do and experience the real Taiwan.

I took the liberty and checked your little rant in Grammarly.
You readability score is below 57.
You are mostly dealing with less proficient people here, and in my opinion, it could help if you kept the readability score well above 85. More short sentences, less unusual words/wordings, and a more likable attitude.

1 Like

Compare that to the really motivated kid who’s sent a hundred mails to professors, met face-to-face ten of them and has spent hours with each discussing about job prospects in Taiwanese academia.

That’s why I can’t take OP seriously. There’s already thousands of good PhDs fighting to get a postdoc anywhere in the world, in subjects that are better-funded than “humanities” (not having mentioned his exact topic I reckon OP’s research is on the less useful end of humanities). Meanwhile here’s someone limiting themselves to one country, showing no capacity to research even basic info like how many non-Taiwanese researchers there are in Taiwan, and having barely enough human skills to ask people on a forum about career advice (boy won’t OP be disappointed to learn that, as @DrewC touched upon, work in academia is 70% human skills).

2 Likes

I would add that the overt disdain the OP expresses toward Taiwan and the academic system here is also unhelpful. For job seekers, I would advise you to either want to join the community here and want make a contribution (and be able to explain what that might be), or go find somewhere else where you’ll be happier.

Guy

All I’ll say is if you’re in a position to choose between a uni gig and a buxiban gig, any sane person would choose a uni gig every time. They have their administrative problems and they don’t pay great, but you have a lot more vacation and work a lot less hours a week in a much more manageable and fulfilling classroom environment.

Are Taiwanese universities not the “real Taiwan”? They seem pretty real to me. Please let us know more about this “real Taiwan” experience.

That’s bs, I know more than 10 foreign instructors just at NTHU. Honestly, I have yet to find a PhD graduate from my dept (nano/micro engineering) who has not found a job with at least 80k base salary. I know that’s still not much but its decent enough imo.

1 Like

He was looking at people doing 人文, whatever that stands for (certainly not humanities since 藝術 and 語文 are considered as separate categories). Note also how he missed the 14 Europeans in 人文.

Thanks for that! Yes, it does require a supervisor and states that it accepts foreigners where no relevant local talent is available. But ill enquire

I was once offered a university teaching job while walking around the campus for exercise on a weekday morning. The Dean stopped his car, talked with me a bit and made the offer.

But I only have a Masters Degree.

Did you take it?

I did not. I left Taiwan a month later.