Philippine ferry disaster (split from Typhoon 2008)

i know this will make me come across as a knob,but “oh well!”

i have no sympathy whatsoever for what happened,
everyone is aware that a typhoon was on it’s way,
such terrible event should serve as a lesson, but oh no…it’ll keep on happening over and over and over again.

You’re right, you do come across as a knob.

It’s fair to consider that the 800 plus poor bastards that got on that boat presumed if it was running, the owners had considered whether it was seaworthy vs the strength of the phoon and that there was a very high probability everyone would get off it alive.

HG

:thumbsdown:

:thumbsdown:

Empathy, dablindfrog, and compassion are what make us human. Many of those poor people onboard were likely just trying to get home to loved ones. Many were, in all likelihood, placing their trust in the operators of the ferry to make the right decision as to whether the ship was seaworthy enough for the conditions. The vessel owners and operators might not deserve your sympathy, but fer Chrissakes, show some compassion for those other poor souls. :s

thats probably what he meant

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]You’re right, you do come across as a knob.

It’s fair to consider that the 800 plus poor bastards that got on that boat presumed if it was running, the owners had considered whether it was seaworthy vs the strength of the phoon and that there was a very high probability everyone would get off it alive.

HG[/quote]

i was actually watching some of G.Carlin’s finest shows,and in one of them he mentions the predictability of stupidity,
in particular he mentions the “victims” of flood disasters…
not those from places where the flood is a one-off,but those from where,every year,there is a flood that happens just like clockwork.
these very peoples laments losing possessions or even loved ones, but they KNEW that the same place flooded at that very same moment for the past 4 years…

i think it’s Darwinism at it’s finest

another point to consider:
in a “normal” country,chances are that agencies and authorities would regulate who gets to sail.
but everyone here knows that it’s not the case here,so you need to use your own judgment,
the president (via teleconference,since she’s in the states) “slammed” coast guards authorities for letting this happen
but you can bet that NO-ONE will be held responsible high up in her govt, it’s gonna be some poor old dude in an office somewhere who’ll take all the flack.

4 years ago,12 Koreans wanted to leave this very island i live on as a major typhoon was approaching, there was no-one willing to sail,so they used their big bucks to coerce a local boat owner to bring them to the mainland,
of course boat sank and all 13 died… should we have sympathy?? do you?

Did Carlin play Katrina with that bit?

No, because he didn’t have shit for brains.

I understand where you are coming from with the Korean example, it’s just that it would be fair to assume, for example, that should you, board a plane, you can count on the pilot to better understand aerodynamicas, the abilities of the plane, etc, and to make the call on when it’s safe and when it’s not safe to fly.

The arseholes here are not the poor schmucks that were duped into beliveing the ferry was safe and mostly paid with their lives, but rather the ferry owners or whatever authority allowed it out to sea in the condition it was in and the conditions it endured.

HG

Would you have the same opinion if you knew the ferry company had this history (and Phillippines had this problem)?

[quote]The government has ordered a review of maritime regulations and suspended Sulpicio’s passenger ferry operations pending inspection.

The company has been involved in three other major shipping disasters in the past 21 years, including the world’s worst peacetime sea tragedy in 1987 when the Sulpicio-owned Dona Paz ferry collided with an oil tanker killing more than 4,000 people.

Shipping tragedies are a common event in the Philippines, an archipelago of over 7,000 islands where safety rules are poorly implemented and substandard vessels ply dangerous waters.[/quote]

reuters.com/article/wtMostRead/idUSMAN124455

But I don’t think flood-plain recurrent disaster victims should be viewed the same as one-time freak ferry accident.

Mate it’s a poor place, there are all kinds of imperatives. If this was a luxury liner, then maybe, but it was a cheap transport option in a country with very poor people and a very ruthless bunch of capitalists at the top preying on them.

HG

Here’s a blog piece on the disaster. I don’t know if there’s anything in it that you guys haven’t already read, but just in case. . . .

People who are caught out in a storm tend to take whatever transportation is available. I mean, what’s the chances that you’re going to have an accident…?

The victims deserve sympathy. The idiots in charge of the ferry who decided they should sail in those conditions deserve to be sued and lose their jobs.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Mate it’s a poor place, there are all kinds of imperatives. If this was a luxury liner, then maybe, but it was a cheap transport option in a country with very poor people and a very ruthless bunch of capitalists at the top preying on them.

HG[/quote]

Mate, I was actually addressing the Frenchman. :slight_smile:

No, no! Sorry, Jack, I knew that, I was addressing him also! One of those open pages you forget to close things happened, I suspect.

HG

So, are there 690 people still inside the ferry?

Are there bodies all over the sea that are about to come floating to the suface?

Or are there some survivors who will be found on beaches of surrounding islands?

I got the impression they told people to put on their life jackets when the engines died.

With the typhoon raging outside, I’m guessing most would have stayed inside as long as they could have.

If one of these big boats flips suddenly, I can imagine it’s a nightmare getting out.

My sympathy goes out to all the poor people that just assume it’s going to get them there if it is willing to set sail.