Philips DVD711 Region-Free Hack

Hey Rascal, can you help me? I’ve been looking at various websites to try and figure out the hack code for the above player. I KNOW there is one, but I’m such a technophobe that I can’t figure out exactly what to do.

It appears that in order to do the one-time only all region hack, I need a one-for-all remote with a “magic button.” What the hell is that?

It also appears that I can do it with the existing remote, but can only do it 25 times before the machine locks up.

Does anyone know about this or has anyone else done it?

You can try the following, though no guarantees! Also to get rid of the 25 changes limit would seem to involve opening up the machine and delving into it’s inards, which you probably don’t want to do…

[b]7.17 - Philips DVD-711. Also works on Grundig GDV-100D and Micromedia Premium

To convert this player for Region 1 playback. Please note that this conversion may only work a maximum of 25 times!

1. Press the buttons Play, 1, 5 and 9 on your remote control. The onscreen display should look like this: ‘____ ____’
  2. Using the number keys on your remote control, enter the code 008000 000 000
  3. Press the Play button on your remote control
  4. The onscreen display should turn red, indicating that your region settings have been changed

To convert this player for Region 2 playback. Please note that this conversion may only work a maximum of 25 times!

1. Press the buttons Play, 1, 5 and 9 on your remote control. The onscreen display should look like this: ‘____ ____’
  2. Using the number keys on your remote control, enter the code 020000 000 000
  4. The onscreen display should turn red, indicating that your region settings have been changed

To convert this player for Region 4 playback. Please note that this conversion may only work a maximum of 25 times!

2. Using the number keys on your remote control, enter the code 007000 000 000

Or else…

With no disk in the drive 1 press play 2 then press 1, 5, 9 3 Screen should read ----------- 4 type in 004001000140 5 Press play reason: this will reset the player back to factory settings, in doing so you wipe all regions and can set the new region by placing the dvd you wish to view. Draw Back: you have to carry out this operation again to swap to a different region, also I do not know as of yet if this can be blocked after 20 odd goes, but you can bet your ass I will find out.

[/b]

sandman, you should have bought one of the groovy region-free numbers that rascal was talking about in some old thread.
i shopped around and hemmed and hawed quite a bit before taking the plunge. it plays anything (i mean everything) that i throw at it.
put the phillips on the block and head down to Mitsukoshi.

uh-oops

It appears that in order to do the one-time only all region hack, I need a one-for-all remote with a “magic button.” What the hell is that?

One-for-all is a brand selling universal (replacement) or programmable remotes: oneforall.com/

Not much help for you I guess so try SuperS54’s advise.

It also appears that I can do it with the existing remote, but can only do it 25 times before the machine locks up.

It won’t completely lock up, just remain in the last region you entered via the remote.
Therefore I would advise sticking to R1 discs only or get a hardware modification done though when I enquired with some local shops before purchasing my player I was told they can’t do it (here) for Philips players.
Thus I choose the Shinco DV-8100 which is multiregion out of the box at no additional cost and it’s hasslefree though not the last word in terms of quality and user friendliness - but at the price I won’t complain.

So I am afraid there is no permanent solution for your player. Sorry …

Sandman, i have the Philips 711. When i first got it it wouldn’t play anything but Taiwanese DVDs. I took it to a DVD shop and had it ‘fixed’. I don’t know what the procedure involved but i think the man removed a chip that controlled the region selection. The ‘op’ cost a grand and now my player plays DVDs from all areas. The shop is on the alley that runs parallel with Shitda Rd. A couple of mates have had theirs done there too so he’s used to dealing with foreigners with this type of request. I get most of my DVDs from Amazon in the States and have never had a problem. Discs from the UK are still a problem though as the TV has to be PAL also and most sets here are NTSC, but that’s another problem!

Sandman, i have the Philips 711. When i first got it it wouldn’t play anything but Taiwanese DVDs. I took it to a DVD shop and had it ‘fixed’. I don’t know what the procedure involved but i think the man removed a chip that controlled the region selection. The ‘op’ cost a grand and now my player plays DVDs from all areas. The shop is on the alley that runs parallel with Shitda Rd. A couple of mates have had theirs done there too so he’s used to dealing with foreigners with this type of request. I get most of my DVDs from Amazon in the States and have never had a problem. Discs from the UK are still a problem though as the TV has to be PAL also and most sets here are NTSC, but that’s another problem!

I’ve found this to be a pretty useful site, esp. if you are also burining your own VCDs and wonder about machine combatibility. Check out their “DVD Players” and DVD Hacks" links for info on how to hack just about every brand of DVD player. Also, usually the gray market imports from Carrefoure (like Samsung) have already been hacked.

vcdhelp.com/