Philuminati - Gaimon's new 'rules' for cycling

We should all be well aware of the Velominati rules of cycling, the 1/2 kidding 1/2 serious guide to getting on your bike.

Here’s ex-pro now popular Youtuber Phil Gaimon’s updated take for discussion. Makes sense to me.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/6188/posts/2640038?_branch_match_id=439291599899678210

Rule #1: Everyone riding a bike and being safe and having fun is doing it right.
Rule #2: Wear whatever the hell you want.
Rule #3: Nothing on your bike has to match. Cycling is already expensive, complicated, elitist, and often sexist and racist. Don’t make it harder because someone’s tires aren’t the same brand.
Rule #4: A Gran Fondo is as competitive as you want it to be, but the group ride is a workout, not a race. You should have no feelings about winning, not winning, who crossed the imaginary line first for no prize or how they did it.
Rule #5: In traffic, we take the space we need, obey the laws that make sense for us, and try to be courteous.
Rule #6: We all wave to each other. This includes triathletes, commuters, e-bikes, homeless people, and scooters. We’re in this together. The enemy is car culture.
Rule #7: If you’re not into helmets that’s your decision, but do respect the policies of who you’re riding with. We don’t helmet shame (adult) strangers we see without them, but don’t show up on the group ride like that if that’s not how everyone else does it.
Rule #8: Strava is a social media platform, not a race. Follow Strava’s policies, express yourself with your cool bike rides and your pictures and fitness. If you lose a KOM, you remember that a KOM means nothing. You give Kudos and get inspired to improve and try to take it back.
Rule #9: For fucks sake don’t litter. I can’t believe I have to say that.
Rule #10 (This is broad to cover anything I’m missing): Don’t be a dick.

And that’s why Gaimon is gay mon, and Spartacus is Spartacus.

1 Like

I always like Cancellara, but he was a knob to get the lawyers involved re: Phil’s book. He’s a nobody, let him sell a few extra copies and get his opinion off his chest.

I don’t know, if someone accused me of motor doping I’d sic the lawyers on them. It was a really dumb assertion to make and his publishers should have removed it.

Us Sec. 2 simpletons are more down to earth, you Sec. 3 power players are all sitting in your ivory towers with an army of lawyers at disposal :man_judge: :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Mind you if someone offered to motor dope me before my “retirement” I’d have been all over that shit.

It’s just cost prohibitive at the moment else everyone can motor dope and beat Sagan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-eQ2nzURIQ

Also back to topic, the rules I like most in Gaimon’s list in Taiwan though are #6, #7 and #9.

Er… I was liking it until I got to this bit:

What?

Yeah um, I love you Phil, but I’m not waving at triathletes.

I was going to ask who the fuck is that Phil anyway, and then I saw this:

I think I don’t relly need to know more about him :smiley: