Phones, etc. in prison

Saw how they use some proprietary video call solutions that are very expensive as the only solution to communicate with family beside visits.

A cheap phone with WiFi can do the same for free.

1 Like

The problem with private prison is certain companies really have a vested interest in making sure there are as many prisoners as possible. So they would often bribe judges, prosecutors, or parole boards to hand out more prison sentences, or parole fewer people. Some judges have been in trouble for this, but I think thatā€™s just the tip of the iceberg. But make no mistake, they like to imprison people in the US because of that.

The HomeWAV system is very cool and cheap. You donā€™t have to travel to a detention facility, donā€™t have to stand in line or wait, donā€™t have to spend money on travel and lodging if you donā€™t live close to the facility, can call and leave video messages for viewing later and you can use the system everyday and from anywhere in the world. Just like using Skype and it helps keep family in touch with their loved ones virtually anytime and from anywhere. Iā€™m a fan.

Their solution is based on Adobe Flashā€¦

Flash Player has been deprecated and has an official end-of-life on December 31, 2020.

1 Like

That service costs a dollar a minute plus a service charge for a video call.

It doesnā€™t seem that cheap to me.

Ok. The alternative.

You live 6 hours away from the detention facility where your loved one is currently confined.

1. Take time off from your job. Loss of income.

2. Drive your car six hours to the jail. Loss of income due to pertrol costs. That is if you have a car, otherwise itā€™s a bus, perhaps.

3. Unless you time it perfectly, you probably have to pay for at least one night motel accommodation. Loss of income.

4. Costs for food while in the road. Loss of income.

5. Visitation intake processing is very time consuming. Fill out paperwork, receive briefing, stand in line, wait until your loved one is in the visitation room, then you only get 30 minutes to 1 hour visitation. Also, most jail facilities do not allow physical contact and you end up talking to each other with a phone system through glass anyway.

The cost associated with in person visitation is much higher than using HomeWAV, even if itā€™s a dollar a minute. And, what if you live in Taiwan and your asshat friend gets tossed in the clink? Plane ticket to the US cost gets added.

Instead, spend weeks and months providing emotional support to your pal while they do their stretch. A nice alternative.

HomeWAV, a very cheap proposition in comparison to in person visitation.

2 Likes

Why not just allow inmates to use their own phone that they only have access in ā€˜communication areaā€™ and provide WiFi? I donā€™t think there is a requirement to record conversations.
Every messaging app has video conferencing nowadays.

Canā€™t do this.

1. All conversations in and out must be recorded (in the US).

2. They would be used for criminal activity. In fact, there already is a huge problem with inmates running their criminal enterprises from within facilities using contraband cell phones. Bad, bad, bad idea.

There a certainly different security levels. A kingpin boss in max security would not get that privilege.

The problem is that a lot of people are in prison for minor non violent crimes. Some countries even have open prisons where you can leave to do a regular job during the day.

True but thereā€™s still no reason, given the cheaper alternatives available, to charge that much per minute. other than the profit motive.

Iā€™m not a big fan of the profit motive when it comes in jails. I believe the main purpose should be rehabilitation and integrating people back into society. One of the main ways to do this is to keep the person connected to their family. I believe that these services should be free of charge. They can still be monitored but thereā€™s no need to charge for them.

Iā€™m not a computer guy but how hard could it be to make sure all conversations running through Skype (or something similar) are automatically recorded?

I doubt OP gonna update anything else as this thread has now become about prisons and inmates

2 Likes

@yyy please break off the prison discussion into its own thread.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know but I think itā€™s meant to profit from prisoners and to ā€œpunishā€ them. Itā€™s stupid considering that monitoring can all be automated and that if the prison needs to conduct investigations they can bring up a log of communications at any time. Giving inmates cheap communications to the outside world actually makes it easier for the prison to monitor any criminal activities.

There have been laws passed about this and I think phone cost is regulated at 11 cents a minutes. It used to be prison phones cost more than 50 cents a minute in most cases, and over a dollar in others!

So then, who should be on the hook to pay for it?

John Q Taxpayer? Sorry, Iā€™m not interested in paying for it unless I use it.

Free Shit

Do you really think it would cost that much?

I know I can call anyone I want for free using Line on my cheap smartphone and a Wi-Fi connection. Other than the initial outlay for equipment, which the prison probably already has, itā€™s not going to cost that much.

Even if you charge for it, thereā€™s absolutely no need to charge a dollar a minute when there are free services. What exactly does HomeWAV provide that costs so much? Itā€™s basically a computer and an internet connection.

I guess if youā€™re more interested in punishment than rehabilitation, your stance makes more sense.

1 Like

Finally, good riddance! :grinning: :rainbow: :+1: :happyrunningaround: