Phones spontaneously connecting and disconnecting to computers

The issue of cell phones connecting and disconnecting, seemingly on a whim, via usb cable has been plaguing us ever since i decided to start using a smart phone. It has gotten WAY worse over time.

I am trying to backup my phone on my computer because the phone is way overdue for a backup and we need to edit many foles right now. I got half way through and it stopped without warning, perhaps a crucket farted. I am.vey careful to.leave everyhing in place as to not be bumped as we have had untold issues with this necessity. I eevn slightly move the miuse just in case thigs freeze due to sleep mode, which is set to 4 hours before attempting the transfer… Now the computer says reconnect due to not recognizing the cable…3 hours later i can still not get a connection, which is infuriating as customers are needing our files soon and we need to use the computer to edit said files. A few thousand, so its not as easy as saying just use email to send them. I need to backup the entire phone and go forward. This has happeend many times before on many brands of phones and various versions of windows :frowning:

Any suggestions?

this round of hate is with an Android phone, samsung galaxy, windows 10 home version computer.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Try a different cable?

Try rebooting the phone, computer, etc.

I guess those USB C cables uses micron sized pins… because they connect intermittently.

Tried 2 computers (win.7 and 10), tried multiple wires. Did the usual restart. Remove batteries try again etc. Going out to go look for a new usb wire, not made in china, and see if that helps…the werd hing is they always sometimes work, but never always work…which makes me think it is software related not hardware.

Or your phone is broken…

I would lean this way if it didnt happen to every phone i ever owned. Which is quite a few different brands (all android though).

I can’t help with the cable issue. Using cables to sync phone with computer is kind of old school

Can sync wirelessly with Google Drive up to 15Gb free. Even first time goes pretty fast.

Then sign into Google Drive on computer and the files appear easily accessible.

Is wireless possible without internet and.without online storage? For security and convenience issues, everything is stored on hardware not cloud type services.

It almost seems intentional that things are getting harder and harder to connect with physical wires and avoiding companies in the middle. Perhaps i am drawing conclusions that are baseless, but it seems so to me so far. I wish phines could be accessed and managed in similar ways like older PCs where the owner of the device had more freedom over their protected personal material. But it also seems even sayin that nowadays the majority think of you as well paranoid criminal for wanting such basic norms.

Or maybe i am just in a bad mood. Either way, i am still now working on trying to connect these 2 peices of sophisticated shit together. Have a new wire beig delivered in an hour or so, will see if that helps.

This is why taiwan doesnt legalize guns…grrrr.

1 Like

If your phone has a micro SD slot, you can put your files there, then transfer the SD card to your computer, then put the files on your computer.

Compound bows are legal and available without a license…

But don’t commit murder.

Indeed. But 2 problems arise. Some files dont display in the phones file directory whereas when plugged into acomputer they are. No idea why, but ha happened many times.

Then just the volume of files. phones you need to slowly one by one press, hold, copy. Literally thousands of files, so would take a few days of non stop tapping. Not ideal. Or am i not doing it right?

Thankfully i dont use apple and an sd card is still a last ditch emergency possibility.

try cleaning the pocket lint out of the charging port

3 Likes

some files are stored on the phone and other on the SD card, need to move the ones to the card you want to copy.

1 Like

I’m always faced with 2 dialogs when I connect my android phone with my computer. Micro USB on the phone and USB on the computer. Each device wants to know what I intend to traffic with this connection: simply power, images, or file transfer. I never pick a default action so I see this dialog on each device. And: a different cable may accommodate only charging, which -totally- sucks. Consider that all cables are not the same, and you have to have the right cable. It may be that the cable only supports charging, or that it is meant for USB 3.0. Cables be persnickety! When you get a good one, make sure to never spindle fold crimp pinch or in any way mutilate it - be careful with it.

1 Like

There is an app I use called file manager +. Can select many files at a time and move to SD card.

2 Likes

Going to try all thise ways you guys suggested, cheers.

I am curious about what you said about some wires only being able to charge and not do file transfers. I had no idea. Do you have some keywords i could search with to read up on this ussue?

1 Like

charge only or data usb cables. What the hell is wrong with this stupid USB cable? Does my USB cable hate me. demon possessed USB cable. die *!@ USB cable

1 Like

Haha, ok gotcha. I would of thought such a difference of abilities would of warranted proper technical names for each cable type. Perhapsmy cursing at this f*cking cable is the proper way about it.

For others that are ignorant like me, this is an easy read. Damnit, buying the wrong damn cables the whole time. Farck!!!

2 Likes

it’s certainly cathartegenical :joy:

1 Like

Also another thing: When you plug your android phone into the computer it defaults to charging and will not allow anything else to happen. You must swipe down on the home screen and it will say “USB charging the device”. Touch that and it will give you a list of options including transfer files, photo, etc.

You must do this each time you lock your phone and plug it into the computer.

There’s also pocket lint. You will be surprised how much gets into it. Those pins used to install SIM cards are perfect for cleaning the charging port.

1 Like

One more thing I’m going to add: You might also want to get a can of electronic contact cleaner and spray it into the jack, and then insert the plug in and work it back and forth to clean any oxidation or oil films off.