Photo on CV/Resume? Pleeeease

Ok our old head teacher left TW and now I have the job (at least for now :fume: ).
One of the first problems with my Taiwanese boss. Me picking foreign and Taiwanese teachers based of qualifications. Yup there are photos on the resumes, and I don’t give a sh–! I need people that sent in good CVs have some experience or whatever.

Monday my boss calls me to her office and asks why I picked a dark skinned foreigner (for interview) over the lighter one? :fume: :fume: 2 perspective Taiwanese (female)teachers that look"so-so" and didn’t I check the photos :loco: ?? Needless to say this is a problem. Anyone else have to handle this crap before. I know they like pictures on the CVs but I am going nuts. What is it with a good face equaling a good worker here?!?!

I am upset right now excuse me.

Tell her that qualifications are more important. Period.

My old boss took a dislike to a wonderful Indian teacher of English who worked with us for a while… Not sure why. Since she hired her, it was difficult to say anything. But I really liked having different speakers of English in the office at the time, but my old boss wasn’t a smart boss, either … so who knows why.

What a racist prick.

This is exactly why photos aren’t allowed (by law or convention… not sure which) on resumes in the US: to minimize the effect of racism.

You could tell your boss you thought it was unethical and illegal to factor race into hiring decisions.

You could tell your boss you thought it was unethical and illegal to factor race into hiring decisions.[/quote]

Call me a racist prick, but I think there’s a very good chance that the importance to bosses of “unethical and illegal” <<<< “profitable/the customer is always right” , especially here.

“I just assumed you weren’t ‘That Kind’ of boss because you’ve always been reasonable to me.”

My memory for the specific details alters/fades with time but this happened to me. We were hiring for new teachers and the boss said something along the lines of, ‘but this person is black,’ and I went into a supernova of anger. Needless to say, I lost my job at contract renewal time.

Another time, prior to that, she wanted to fire a teacher and asked if she could just say that he had been touching the students inappropriately (when he hadn’t and that she was just making this up) as an excuse to get rid of him. I think that was the first time I mentally cracked a little bit under the realisation of what nasty sneaky cuntitude passes for acceptable behaviour in the education system.

She did give me a nice picture after she got me fired, so that made up for it. :loco:

He likes to check 'em out before having 'em as his 小三 :discodance:

Pffff…like I can’t tell whom I’ll be interviewing with the name Jagdeep Ramanathan on a resume :loco:

You could tell your boss you thought it was unethical and illegal to factor race into hiring decisions.[/quote]

Call me a racist prick, but I think there’s a very good chance that the importance to bosses of “unethical and illegal” <<<< “profitable/the customer is always right” , especially here.[/quote]

Nope, you’re right. The customers are racist pricks :smiley:

No, you’re certainly not a racist to point out the unfortunate reality that money all too often trumps ethics in business.

[quote]Pffff…like I can’t tell whom I’ll be interviewing with the name Jagdeep Ramanathan on a resume :loco:[/quote] This from PigBloodCake.

Ahhhh, what if his name is Joe Smith. What does he look like? What if her name is Sandoval Lin? My classmate in college was named Rina Jaymes, but she was half Indian and looked very Indian. Silly, you were joking right? It won’t work every time, going by name that is.

I’ve calmed myself since and convinced the boss to listen to me (amazing). But I don’t want to hear about business or customer satisfaction anymore. In Taiwan things have improved, but this attitude needs to stop. I feel like I have the duty as someone who knows better than my boss or the parents to end it.

Hiring based on what the parents/boss thinks looks right won’t cut it. Especially when “you” are putting me in charge of these decisions.

Oh and remember my female boss wanted the “better” looking local females for the job! Livens up the office? :whistle:

[quote=“PigBloodCake”][quote=“Chris”]
This is exactly why photos aren’t allowed (by law or convention… not sure which) on resumes in the US: to minimize the effect of racism.
[/quote]

Pffff…like I can’t tell whom I’ll be interviewing with the name Jagdeep Ramanathan on a resume :loco:[/quote]
“minimize” doesn’t mean “eliminate”.

[quote=“Dangergyrl”][quote]Pffff…like I can’t tell whom I’ll be interviewing with the name Jagdeep Ramanathan on a resume :loco:[/quote] This from PigBloodCake.
[/quote]

You wouldn’t believe the amount of calls I get from potential employers with a name like this :whistle: :saywhat:

What makes you think you’re I’m charge? Because your boss doesn’t want to do the grunt work of fielding applicants? He wants you to provide a selection of ‘suitable’ candidates and then let him pick from that, or at the least, from this selection of ‘suitable’ candidates let you pick, which gives you the illusion of being in charge.

Dangergyrl, well done on standing up for your values. Wish there were more people like you around!

Precisely. Whether it’s hiring practices, bad driving, noise pollution or any of the rest of it, things will never change for the better unless we make them change. I also commend Dangergyrl.

Ok, you may not want to hear this, especially if you’re one of these “The world can be a bright, peaceful, loving place and I can make it so one step at a time!”.

Firstly:
You are in Taiwan. They tend to rank people based on “whiteness”. Period.
You aren’t going to change that.
If you want to “be the change you want in the world”, go back to your own country and work on social issues at home.
This is not your country, your opinion on these matters is probably not appreciated.

Secondly (and this is the clincher):
Understand that it is not just your laoban who likes whiter people. THey have to sell English classes to the parents who also equate whiter with brighter.
Its a business and your laoban needs to make money. They need to sell to the market demands.

If you want to keep your job, just do what the boss asks.
Interview both the white applications and the ones that you think are more qualified.
When the better qualified are clearly a better choice, sell them hard to your laoban.

Lili: Absolute bullshit. When you’re on the receiving end of some sort of idiocy here, be it some fool running a red light or anything else, then don’t come complaining here at all.