Photo on CV/Resume? Pleeeease

I don’t get it. Why should ethnicity/race/skin color be kept secret until the moment of a job interview?

By the same logic, should job interviews be conducted with the applicants wearing bags over their heads?

[quote=“monkey”]I don’t get it. Why should ethnicity/race/skin color be kept secret until the moment of a job interview?

By the same logic, should job interviews be conducted with the applicants wearing bags over their heads?[/quote]

Absolutely. In fact, let’s make the applicant screening process even easier. Require chest/waist/hip measurements if the applicant is a female. And length/girth/hardness if the applicant is a male.

:saywhat:

[quote=“Lili”]Ok, you may not want to hear this, especially if you’re one of these “The world can be a bright, peaceful, loving place and I can make it so one step at a time!”.

Firstly:
You are in Taiwan. They tend to rank people based on “whiteness”. Period.
You aren’t going to change that.
If you want to “be the change you want in the world”, go back to your own country and work on social issues at home.
This is not your country, your opinion on these matters is probably not appreciated.

Secondly (and this is the clincher):
Understand that it is not just your laoban who likes whiter people. THey have to sell English classes to the parents who also equate whiter with brighter.
Its a business and your laoban needs to make money. They need to sell to the market demands.

If you want to keep your job, just do what the boss asks.
Interview both the white applications and the ones that you think are more qualified.
When the better qualified are clearly a better choice, sell them hard to your laoban.[/quote]

My God they crushed the spirit out of you double quick. BURN BRIGHT!!! Burn hard. Burn long. Stop whimpering on your knees, woman.

1 Like

[quote=“Lili”]

If you want to “be the change you want in the world”, go back to your own country and work on social issues at home.
This is not your country, your opinion on these matters is probably not appreciated.[/quote]

But they likely would be the social issues at home :roflmao: :roflmao: :laughing: The educationalists that come to Taiwan ain’t exactly the vanguard of the proletariat if you get my drift!

The first rule of school is, ‘nobody appreciates your opinion.’
The first rule of homework is; try to ignore the first rule of school.

Fuck, you either keep your head down or you rail against the piss. You don’t defend the piss river. NEVER defend the piss river. Appreciate the people. Love the country. Rail against the machine.

As a non-kidded person, I’d rather be destitute with my honour than a whore to the boss.

My greatest fear in life is looking back and being ashamed by the actions I took.

Or those that you didn’t.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]
Or those that you didn’t.[/quote]

Fear No. 2!!

[quote]
I’ve calmed myself since and convinced the boss to listen to me (amazing).[/quote]
Some of you may have missed this.

It was a long conversation, but she thought about it. Later she said “I respect your choices, OK we’ll try it.” :bravo:
This gives me hope. I worked with a Mexican American guy at my previous job and one 16 y.o. female student of his thought Mexicans in American we’re all illegal ( :unamused: ) and found out she was wrong about that and learned a lot more. The guy became her favorite teacher and her mom came around to really liking his style.

I am surprised that a 16-year-old Taiwanese student knew enough about both the USA and Mexico to even have an opinion about the issue.
My favourite line from a student: “My teacher is from Brazil in America, so she speaks really good English.”

The bosses where I worked in Taiwan were also all more concerned with appearance than competence; they were all butt-ugly themselves, so their harping about how ugly or dark this or that teacher was always seemed funny to me. They managed to discuss it without a trace of irony, however.

Well, technically it is. AFAIK people south of the US often talk about “America” meaning “South America”, just as yankees use the word to mean “North America”.

The Brazilian applicant probably told the interviewer, quite truthfully, that he/she was from America or South America (since I doubt said interviewer knew exactly where such a huge country is located :wink: ), and the message kind of got lost in translation.

[quote] Ok, you may not want to hear this, especially if you’re one of these “The world can be a bright, peaceful, loving place and I can make it so one step at a time!”.

Firstly:
You are in Taiwan. They tend to rank people based on "whiteness". Period.
You aren't going to change that.
If you want to "be the change you want in the world", go back to your own country and work on social issues at home.
This is not your country, your opinion on these matters is probably not appreciated.

Secondly (and this is the clincher):
Understand that it is not just your laoban who likes whiter people. THey have to sell English classes to the parents who also equate whiter with brighter.
Its a business and your laoban needs to make money. They need to sell to the market demands.

If you want to keep your job, just do what the boss asks.
Interview both the white applications and the ones that you think are more qualified.
When the better qualified are clearly a better choice, sell them hard to your laoban.[/quote]

Man that was some garbage. “whiter with brighter.” Love that one. Who started that?

Guess I should walk around with a printout of this reply and show it to any perspective teachers that are not white. Maybe they’ll just go home and stop wasting their precious time. Got to show them the “real” Taiwan.

Taiwanese people are always telling me how tolerant and welcoming they are. Guess not. I’d better show them what some of the foreigners here are saying. The truth?

I’ve been in Taiwan under 2 years but, a lot of “Formosans” that post here have been around 5, 10, 15 years. So when someone says go back to “your” country I have to laugh. If you pay taxes, work, are involved with local people or married and most of all are living here you are part of the society and if you are trying to fairly help a qualified person to get a job more power to you. If those of us that teach here just want some $ and keep the boat steady we’re just as guilty and yup we should freakin’ leave. Just cause something is right doesn’t mean I should actually do something does it? The parents might pull out their kids. Really, do they?

Or those that you didn’t.[/quote]

Shoulda preach that to Joe Pa.

[quote=“Dangergyrl”]
Monday my boss calls me to her office and asks why I picked a dark skinned foreigner (for interview) over the lighter one? :fume: :fume: 2 perspective Taiwanese (female)teachers that look"so-so" and didn’t I check the photos :loco: ?? Needless to say this is a problem. [/quote]

:no-no:

Tsk, tsk. please study English more. PROSPECTIVE.

Please write it 100 times. :roflmao:

I guess you two are two walking examples of why people shouldn’t be employed based merely on their good looks.

perspective Yes! :doh:

PROSPECTIVE prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective …

[quote=“Halo”]perspective Yes! :doh:

PROSPECTIVE prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective, prospective …[/quote]

Good. You have now passed to spelling level 3: you can now cast the x-ray spell and can see through people’s clothing at will. :bravo:

Charlie I really want that power in Taiwan!

:bravo:

We have a choice to roll over and accept injustice, or to take action and oppose it. You chose the latter, and the results were positive. Bravo!

:bravo:

We have a choice to roll over and accept injustice, or to take action and oppose it. You chose the latter, and the results were positive. Bravo![/quote]

Yeah but will she hire Western born and/or bred Taiwanese though (your so-called ABCs) as an English teacher?

The fat lady hasn’t sung yet until this reverse discrimination is totally eliminated from the buxiban world.

[quote=“superking”]
My God they crushed the spirit out of you double quick. BURN BRIGHT!!! Burn hard. Burn long. Stop whimpering on your knees, woman.[/quote]

Yes, I would agree with the “crushed spirit”, but not the whimpering.
More like a stone-cold glare.