Photographers in Taipei?

[quote=“Etheorial”]Good to know the Agfa APX is available.

The Agfapan 25 is legendary. It went out of production before I got serious about photography, but all the photographers I know now say it was some of the best 35 mm film ever made. Apparently, the grains in it are so fine, that prints made from it can sometimes look like medium format.

Anybody got any extra they wanna sell :smiley:[/quote]

Agfapan … I always process it in Rodinal developer, always stick to it and never change … I’ve heard that Rodinal is one of the oldest developer still on the market, (And of, course, also available in TPE)

[quote=“Etheorial”]I’ll be moving to Taiwan in August to teach English, but photography is my hobby.

I do black and white photography and like to make my own prints.

I know the world’s going digital, but from what I’ve seen in the West, b + w photography is alive and well, and it’s easy to find photo paper, film, etc.

I’m wondering what the situation is like in Taipei. Any photographers in Taipei know where I can find darkroom space in the city? Is photo paper and b + w film readily available?[/quote]

You can get Ilford, T-Max 100 and Agfa (somethingorother) 100 (only shot 2 rolls, but loved it). Dunno about darkroom space, I put in my own, but now can’t get fixer, so it is useless. I found ilford varicontrast and merit series, and use the varicontrast. The photo shops are right around the train station in Taipei. Send me an email and I’ll try and find some addresses for you acearle@acearle.com

What is the best photo processing place in Taipei? I am sick of these fucking chains that change their chemicals once every 5 years, whether they need to or not…
I have had nothing but shit from Jazz.
There is some place called somethingorother Zone, I think.
Anyway…HELP!
…and thanks in advance…

Is there any answer on this one ? I have B&W film that I want developed and printed by hand.

Also, where can I get professional Kodak colour negative film ? Ok, I’ll try Han Kou Jie this weekend.

Is there anywhere, anywhere, in Taipei that can process colour negative film and get the correct colours!!! What is the point of using an expensive SLR and lens and Kodak’s Portra Ultra Vivid Loadsacolour film if the stuff comes back bland and flat with dull reds etc…!? :fume:

Maybe this could help:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=25468

Iris

Myself (amatuer) and the five or so pro photogs (4 foreigners, one ABC) I know in Taipei use Jazz and never have complaints.

And you haven’t had them slice up your slides or had them incorrectly process $500US dollars worth of film.

NO I have not. Never. I suppose pro shops in the US dont f@ck up?

I have heard some negative comments about Jazz, but ME and the people I know you use them havent had troubles.

[quote=“AWOL”]NO I have not. Never. I suppose pro shops in the US dont f@ck up?

I have heard some negative comments about Jazz, but ME and the people I know you use them havent had troubles.[/quote]

What do photo labs in the US have to do with this discussion? I stopped using Jazz years ago because of their fuck ups, piss poor quality and sorry excuses. And I knew too many other photographers having the same problems. I’ve never had a problem with Zone 5 nor have I heard of anyone else having problems. And I’ve know the people who run it 15+ years. If you’re happy with Jazz, fine. Good for you.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“AWOL”]NO I have not. Never. I suppose pro shops in the US dont f@ck up?

I have heard some negative comments about Jazz, but ME and the people I know you use them havent had troubles.[/quote]

What do photo labs in the US have to do with this discussion? I stopped using Jazz years ago because of their fuck ups, piss poor quality and sorry excuses. And I knew too many other photographers having the same problems. I’ve never had a problem with Zone 5 nor have I heard of anyone else having problems. And I’ve know the people who run it 15+ years. If you’re happy with Jazz, fine. Good for you.[/quote]

Thankyou for letting me take my business wherever I want…

As for the US… people seem to forget that crap service, quality isnt a Taiwan specific situation.

Please dont get so knarky simply because I recommended a place you dont…

[quote=“AWOL”]
Thankyou for letting me take my business wherever I want…[/quote]

No problem. :slight_smile:

I don’t process film in the US but if I did and had the problems I and others have had with Jazz, I would feel exactly the same way.

Not at all. But I’ve dealt with different labs in Taiwan for a long, long time. The worst by far have been Jazz and the official Fuji lab (Hong Chong?).

ok, good… it felt like you were launching some attack on me for choosing to go to Jazz.

Not at all. BTW, have you ever been to TIVAC? It’s the only professional photography gallery in Taiwan. It was set up by the same people who run Zone 5.

akiami.no-ip.com/Web/index.aspx

no i havent… i have been away from taipei for a while… back next week so will have to check it out. thx.

If it can be fucked up, Jazz will find a way. From scanned images that don’t open because they are corrupt to flipping a negative to cropping prints to…well it goes on. Took me several “they must have had a bad day” returns to vow never to go back there except to buy film.

i wanna study photography… anyone knows where i can study… just some crash course…

Is there a photography forum anywhere on Forumsoa?

I havent moved to taiwan yet and am planning to buy a Canon Rebel XT. Would you recommend purchasing a US model with warranty (ebay package) before moving or buying it in Taiwan?

My friend Nana is a local photographer, have a look at her website: nanachen.com

She would be happy to provide some help about which places are best to process at.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]What is the best photo processing place in Taipei? I am sick of these f***ing chains that change their chemicals once every 5 years, whether they need to or not…
I have had nothing but shit from Jazz.
There is some place called somethingorother Zone, I think.
Anyway…HELP!
…and thanks in advance…[/quote]

Well, I can’t comment directly on Jazz as I’ve never used 'em. I’ve HEARD that Zone 5 is good, but again, I’ve never used 'em. My personal experience is that with much browbeating and screaming that you are going to invade their commode and spray the dreaded Lysol everywhere is that there is ONE place in Hsinchu who will print your stuff and not screw with the color balance, and not crop. The problem is that I can get okay prints, but not stellar. And I can only get glossy from digital files (and I despise glossy).

In all honesty, I do no printing in Taiwan, I do all of my chromogenic (color type thingies) via Fotki.com and get any size I want, with the photograph actually appearing as I want…at far less (including shipping) than Taiwan (especially for large prints).

These days I let no local lab do anything other than dunk my color negative and slide film in chemicals, they’ve been banned from doing any output, lol.