Photography class/course (In English!)

[quote=“Jaboney”]Level:
Somewhat more than point and shoot, not sure how to properly juggle aperture, f/ stop, and iso, but getting some decent shots.

Stuff to shoot:
Jan 30th, in the evening, would be a great time to learn how to juggle those details and take low-light action shots. :sunglasses:[/quote]

Should that be Dec 30th? Or that I post unclearly, which is quite possible with pre-coffee posting?

I’ll be in Taipei Dec 28th-Jan 1st. The weekend of Jan 30th I’ve got a wedding to shoot in Yunlin county so won’t be in Taipei.

Oops. I hadn’t had my morning coffee either. It should read Dec. 30.

Low light action shots, eh?

Talk about cutting to lesson 22. Haha

Here’s a few hints. Fast lense, tripod, high ISO or a nice flash of course.

I think everyone could get a lot out of a good flash photography lesson.

Is this happening? Just checking: I’ll be tied up all weekend and unable to attend. :frowning:

Gotta confess I forgot - I’ve been very busy lately and it slipped my mind. I’ll be in Taipei from late Fri night until Tues afternoon if anyone wants to meet up.

Count me in as one more person very interested in the photo club.

By the way, any Pentax people out there? Everybody I know seem to have a Canon or a Nikon, but I’ve been a Pantax gal since the film days and I heart my K10D!!!

Oooh… a K10D. I want one of those. Got a k100D last year. For now, I’m good though: I’ve got my heart set on a SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 lens. Should be perfect for hockey shots.

[quote=“Battlepanda”]Count me in as one more person very interested in the photo club.

By the way, any Pentax people out there? Everybody I know seem to have a Canon or a Nikon, but I’ve been a Pantax gal since the film days and I heart my K10D!!![/quote]

I’ve got a couple of Taiwanese photographer friends who use Pentax. They don’t post here though.

I have a little Sony whatsit that’s on its way out anyway. I get the occasional pretty good shot, without really knowing what I did to make it that way, so presumably in the right hands it could reliably produce something encouraging enough to make a real camera look like a worthwhile investment.

I’ve often contemplated buying a real camera, but wouldn’t know what to look for. It’s a lot of money to spend only to have someone who knows better tell you afterwards that you’re a victim of advertising.

Perhaps a good place to start would be either:

• getting started without spending a lot of money, by making better use of what you have
  • camera shopping for idiots who hate shopping (me)

Ahem, not that I’m pushing my own agenda or anything, but this sounds like a great example of the sort of community activity that forumosa could excel at with better use of our existing resources. We have, or had, wiki pages and space where people could up load photos.

In theory it would be possible to host galleries, articles, discussions, trip planning, the whole shebang, in a much more accessible format which would give a club an identity.

Did I mention that this whole photography club thing is a great idea, btw? Kudoso to those offering to help.

Loretta, for some basic info on buying a DSLR, take a look here. Also, this page has a good series of articles covering pretty much everything.

For learning more about general photography and using what you’ve got, look here.

If you do decide you want to buy something new, I’d be happy to come along with you and help out. Or even if you just want to take a look at what’s available without buying, I’d be happy to help.

I dunno, for me, photography is a solitary exercise. I do like to discuss photography with people socially, but when it comes to walking around taking pictures, I prefer to do it by myself. Other people are too distracting, and it gets in the way of seeing a good picture opportunity. Then, when you do see something, you have to either excuse yourself to go take the picture, or do it while everyone looks at you, wondering why the hell you’re lying on the ground in a puddle with your camera on a rock facing a blank wall. And most times I really am not able to satisfactorily explain what compelled me to take that particular shot, other than “Um, it seemed like a good idea at the time.”

All of which is ok, I guess, but it still feels a bit awkward to me, which has something to do with my lack of social graces, perhaps.

Taraleigh,

Count me in. I would love to learn how to use my Canon. I am an absolute beginner and would be more interested in the technical aspects of taking pictures.

So, is there going to be a meeting on Dec. 30th? I’ll be on vacation for most of Jan. So end of of Jan would be good for me too.

Thanks.

I had a very merry xmas in the hospital, broke my arm (in 5 places) on the 23rd :blush:
Just got out today, so my joining the photo club date will also be postponed to the end of Jan.

I can ride a scooter all over Taiwan, but I cant walk 3 blocks.
I will continue to practice with my camera at home.

here is my website if anyone is interested.

http://www.dealboyrandy.com

Ouch! Not a very merry Christmas. Take it easy.

Did you hurt your arm by falling off a scooter? I’ve been thinking about getting one for years but have always chickened out at the last minute.

@Paogao: A photography club is probably the most beneficial for those of us who are still starting out as an opportunity to learn from each others and from advanced photographers such as you and Craig. And of course there is the social aspect, which can be enjoyable or not depending on one’s personality.

If anyone wants to get together over the weekend, my number is 0915 769 739. I’m going to be shooting stuff all weekend (until Tues afternoon) in and around Taipei, and maybe a side trip to Keelung.

EDIT - Don’t bother PMing me about meeting this weekend - I’m about to turn my computer off and won’t see any PMs until next week.

no thats what made me upset…5 years of some crazy driving, and i get hurt on a stupid sidewalk that abruptly ended as i was jogging…in the evening.

BTW i wouldn’t consider myself advanced… somewhere in amateur maybe. (but thx for the compliment)

Yeah, I guess it might be interesting; I’m just not sure what exactly I would do at such a meet-up. But that’s just because photography means different things to different people; I happen to see it as a more solitary activity, and the pictures a result of a certain emotional state and degree of receptiveness, but I do find it difficult to explain.

Poagao I agree to a point but if you and I were to go out for example, even if we never said a word i could learn from what your looking at perhaps a camera setting i was unaware of or rarely use.

Since this isnt a paid by the hour deal, i think many people could learn things, even if its as simple as looking at different gear and it wouldnt be a waste of time.

The advise, the stories, creative ideas whatever there is lots to gain.

My thought is that it doesn’t have to include a full photo tour every time.

Btw I’m in Taoyuan if anyone here wants to hook up locally as well. not to take away from this one just thought id throw that out there since transportation is an issue for me …hence i never make it to HH.

I usefully help out newbies.

if ever. what time would you guys be meeting up ont he 30th ? im planning to go to taipei too.

canon user here … on and off photography for over a year now due to work.

so whats the schedule ???