Photoshop alternative

I really don’t use it much, but my ancient copy of Abobe Photoshop doesn’t install on Windows 7. Anyone know of an alternative, preferably free. There’s bound to be some free offering of some kind of comparable software out there, no? I don’t care if it’s not even half as good.

Both free:
Photo Pos Pro:advanced, very user friendly
GIMP: more advanced, less user friendly

Have you tried installing Photoshop using XP Compatibility Mode?

[quote=“Chris”]Both free:
Photo Pos Pro:advanced, very user friendly
GIMP: more advanced, less user friendly

Have you tried installing Photoshop using XP Compatibility Mode?[/quote]
Doesn’t appear I’m even able to install it under Compatibility Mode. 64-bit problem. It was old anyway, Adobe Photoshop version 5.0.2.

I’ll try one of the ones you’ve suggested. Thanks!

If you’re used to the Photoshop menu structure, you may want to try Artweaver Free. From here: artweaver.de/download-en/

I’ve been using it for ages now and it’s great. Doesn’t have all the advanced stuff that Photoshop had, but it has most of the basic stuff, plus as mentioned the menus are very similar.

It doesn’t have the richness and depth of Photoshop, but for intermediate level image manipulation, Paint.net is free and fairly good. Runs on Windows only, obviously.

getpaint.net/

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I’ve tried them all, they all work great. I also downloaded Paint.Net and am going to roll with it for the time being. It’s what the simple Paint program that comes with Windows should be.