phpBB Critical Error

I’ve been getting this almost constantly on a white screen over the last couple of days. If its not that, its some kind of “debug” statement.
Is your tweaking getting too much for the new server Gus?

Me too, whats up with that?

Chou

GODDAMMIT! This is getting frustrating. Its now happening on almost every damn click. “Critical error” “debug mode” almost constantly. Seems the server is having problems again.

Thought my browser was to blame, but me too over the last week.

Problem 1 [quote]phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
[/quote]

Problem 2 [quote]Couldn’t obtain category list.

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1 Can’t create/write to file ‘/tmp/#sql_75bc_0.MYD’ (Errcode: 23)

SELECT c.cat_id, c.cat_title, c.cat_order FROM phpbb_categories c, phpbb_forums f WHERE f.cat_id = c.cat_id GROUP BY c.cat_id, c.cat_title, c.cat_order ORDER BY c.cat_order

Line : 106
File : /home/.jackdandy/segue/segue.com.tw/3/includes/functions.php[/quote]

Very annoying in the last 30 mins

Thanks for the bug reports. And I’m sorry that these are happening again. I’m surprised to see them – this reminds me of the problems we were having at BigBiz.com

I’ll check in with DreamHost and ask them what’s up. If anyone else can help me shed some light on this, your effort is most welcome

Dang. Someone beat me to it. :slight_smile:

Here’s what a quick lookup of “errcode 23” finds:

geocrawler.com/archives/3/8/1998/10/0/43322/

So, IMHO, that one means the server on which they’ve located the database is getting too many requests.

Edited to add:
By the way, in case you’re not a Linux/UNIX junkie, file descriptors (fd’s) are what the operating system uses to keep track of open files. In this case, I think what they’re saying is that although the operating system has plenty of unused fd’s, MySQL requires that fd’s be permanently assigned to it before it will bother to use them (it can’t just use the generally-available pool), and it has already used up all of the ones that it has been given, so it barfs. But take this with a grain or ten of salt, since I’ve never used MySQL (plenty of other databases, though).

[quote=“In e-mail, DreamHost”]Subject: Re: [segue 1639681] phpBB : Critical Error
Date: Tue, May 20, 2003 9:21
To: gus@forumosa.com

Hello Gus,

The server that was hosting your database was having filehandle issues.

We have fixed this problem so you should not notice any problems like this recurring again. If you do happen to experience further problems please let me know as soon as you can so I can get our administration team on top of this again.

As for your conueries deal, I’ll forward your question to someone who can help you with this.

On Mon, 19 May 2003, you wrote:

Hello,

the following error is being reported by visitors to my website:

"phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database "

This has apparently been noticed for the past week:
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=9204

Kind regards,

gus.
gus@forumosa.com

[/quote]

btw, MaPoDoFu, thank you for looking this up :slight_smile: